Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering using my Ravin R20 for turkey hunting this spring. I've always used a 12 gauge, but thought the crossbow might be a fun new challenge. I have 2 questions:
1) Will my Rage Hypodermics NC Crossbow braodheads work fine or is there something else that's recommended?

2) What ranges have people used this setup effectively for turkeys?

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
I turkey hunted with my R10 last spring - first time with a crossbow. I used the NAP Sptifire Gobbler Getter based on recommendations on here.

It has a blunt nose which is suppose to stay inside the bird upon impact instead of a pass thru. I also had some Ramcats in the quiver plus some Montec G5 heads in the drawer. I’m just not a mechanical fan but I’ll still probably use the NAP this spring.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Has anyone tried a typical fixed blade for turkeys and other than passing through and likely never finding the bolt any other disadvantages to using fixed blades? I'll be using a crossbow this spring as recent back surgery/fusion warrants less of a kick to my shoulder than the 12 ga would do.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I don't consider myself a turkey hunter but have killed a couple with my crossbow while deer hunting. It didn't seem very difficult or challenging and if I ever were to hunt spring birds, I would definitely use a crossbow. One bit of advice that was useful to me is to study the anatomy of the bird. The kill zone for an arrow is not exactly where you would expect when broadside. Unless you plan on making headshots, which is the best target. Only problem with that is they never seem to stop moving their heads.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Has anyone tried a typical fixed blade for turkeys and other than passing through and likely never finding the bolt any other disadvantages to using fixed blades? I'll be using a crossbow this spring as recent back surgery/fusion warrants less of a kick to my shoulder than the 12 ga would do.
I used Slick Trick Grizztricks for several years on turkeys and killed 4 turkeys with all pass throughs and recoveries. I'm going to use my fixed blade QAD Exodus this year some in a residential area where I have permission to hunt. If I was going to use a mechanical again for turkey hunting it would be a 4 blade expandable such as the Truglo Titanium X.

Reactions: Regohio

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
With the cost of ammo these days, at least i can shoot a bolt over and over. Good luck!
After I got my new 20ga auto for turkey, I walked of of Jay’s Sporting Goods in Clare, MI with 4 boxes (20 shells) of TSS #9 tungsten for somewhere around $147. I almost bought a separate safe to keep them in.

I shot only one of them to verify my pattern. 🤣

Looks like I must have gotten them on sale!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After I got my new 20ga auto for turkey, I walked of of Jay’s Sporting Goods in Clare, MI with 4 boxes (20 shells) of TSS #9 tungsten for somewhere around $147. I almost bought a separate safe to keep them in.

I love Jay's!

·
Registered
934 Posts

I bought a new Winchester XPR last year and bought a new Indian Creek Choke to shoot the TSS shot. The TSS # 9 is best load I've ever used in any of my 20 gauges. I just bought 2 more boxes the other day and man they price on them has went up.

·
Registered
Mission Sub One series
1,558 Posts
Savage Renegauge 12 gauge and 3" TSS #9....
I ain't killed near enough turkey to make me switch to the crossbow...

Maybe one day, but that day ain't come yet!!

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
When I run out I’ll just buy some more. (y)

·
4,040 Posts
Best guess I started bow hunting gobblers some 30 years ago. I have killed a back load of them with a sharp stick over the years. Bigger cut is better not needed but better. Slick trick grizztrick was my favourite fixed and my favourite expandable is the shwacker 150 gr 3” cut head. Bow never seemed to matter. I have and am taking a new path and I think adding a little bit more of a challenge. And started using the Encore 45/410 pistol. I still have some shooting to do. And one more mod to the forearm.
I shot 3 shots with my 2.5 1/2 oz loads sighting it in. Then the 4th

Wood Rectangle Art Brick Font

I adjusted the red dot left and down a bit. But still a very dead gobbler. I still want to shoot Winchester 3” 7 1/2 lead shot. And my reloads at 20 and 30 yds. But TSS is the ticket,the price is getting crazy. And I will likely go lead just to limit the range.

Good luck this spring.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts