41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Howdy
I have shot 8 turkeys over years with both bow and now crossbow
Your rage should work fine at 2” cut
I shot a dandy to at 28 yards last year.
very small kill zone so study were to hit them
One i shot last year was coming straight in
I put it next too were beard comes out.made two yards. Shot with a swat crossbow magnum
2x1 3/4 four blade
Any questions let me know
A great way to hunt
Jim
Thanks Jim, i went to the range today to start practicing. One of my kids is coming this year as well w/a 20gauge...getting excited to go after the long-beards!

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Didn’t check my pics yesterday because I’ve been laid up on the couch. When I looked at them this morning I about crapped. These are around 7-ish yesterday evening right in front of where I’ll put my blind. I’m excited.

Bird Sky Plant Tree Phasianidae
Plant Sky Bird Tree Wild turkey
Plant Sky Tree Natural landscape Grazing
Sky Plant Bird Cloud Tree
Plant Sky Tree Natural landscape Land lot

·
Registered
50 Posts
Best guess I started bow hunting gobblers some 30 years ago. I have killed a back load of them with a sharp stick over the years. Bigger cut is better not needed but better. Slick trick grizztrick was my favourite fixed and my favourite expandable is the shwacker 150 gr 3” cut head. Bow never seemed to matter. I have and am taking a new path and I think adding a little bit more of a challenge. And started using the Encore 45/410 pistol. I still have some shooting to do. And one more mod to the forearm.
I shot 3 shots with my 2.5 1/2 oz loads sighting it in. Then the 4th

View attachment 221723
I adjusted the red dot left and down a bit. But still a very dead gobbler. I still want to shoot Winchester 3” 7 1/2 lead shot. And my reloads at 20 and 30 yds. But TSS is the ticket,the price is getting crazy. And I will likely go lead just to limit the range.

Good luck this spring.
i got both encores rifle 7/08 and pistol pistol 270 win cant shoot it much anymore going on my third shoulder surjury gotta have it replaced 2nd week of june wanted to get a new crossbow but not looking good maybe next year.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i got both encores rifle 7/08 and pistol pistol 270 win cant shoot it much anymore going on my third shoulder surjury gotta have it replaced 2nd week of june wanted to get a new crossbow but not looking good maybe next year.
I USE WHATEVER I GOT ON HAND FOR TURKEYS USED LEFT OVERS I BOUGHT FOR DEER HUNTIN I DIDNT use SWACKER 100 gr didnt say crossbow on them.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Dang - I would have like to have popped him this morning.

I’ve been keeping a chart on what time they’re showing up in front of my cams. Duh - morning - noon - and night.

Only 8 days to go - they'll probably leave the county by the 7th day. :mad:

Plant Sky Tree Natural landscape Dog breed
Plant Sky Bird Cloud Tree

Reactions: bbahunter

·
4,029 Posts
Season comes in here Monday there calling for rain an chilly temps. Easton my grandson and my wife wanted to take a Buggy ride. I cleaned out 2 of my box blinds i use for deer hunting. We saw a good bit of scratchings pretty much everywhere riding the trail. I will probably set in one of those the first 2 days. I can drive pretty close and stay dry other than a short walk.

·
4,029 Posts
Went out with my walker hearing aids this morning. And never heard a bird and could hear traffic about 3 miles away pretty clear. Sure didn't sound to promising nice warm still morning too.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Went out with my walker hearing aids this morning. And never heard a bird and could hear traffic about 3 miles away pretty clear. Sure didn't sound to promising nice warm still morning too.
I have a Walker Elite hearing aid and the first time I tried them for turkey, I heard a gobble of in the distance but for whatever reason I couldn’t tell what direction it came from.

Have you noticed any difficulties determining the direction of a gobble?

·
Registered
TenPoint Viper S400 / Garmin Xero
1,680 Posts
The .410 with TSS is a proven killer! I have a Mossberg SA410 turkey with Indian creek choke. Flattens them. I’m debating what to use this year. I have the .410 plus my crossbow and I took possession of my buddy’s Remington 870 SPS thumb hole camo turkey gun when he died of pancreatic cancer. Maybe I’ll use the 870. We have been cut to 1 gobbler in Ohio this spring. One thing I get a kick out of is when guys complain about the TSS being expensive but will launch a $15 arrow with a $12 broadhead at one without thinking twice.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
The .410 with TSS is a proven killer! I have a Mossberg SA410 turkey with Indian creek choke. Flattens them. I’m debating what to use this year. I have the .410 plus my crossbow and I took possession of my buddy’s Remington 870 SPS thumb hole camo turkey gun when he died of pancreatic cancer. Maybe I’ll use the 870. We have been cut to 1 gobbler in Ohio this spring. One thing I get a kick out of is when guys complain about the TSS being expensive but will launch a $15 arrow with a $12 broadhead at one without thinking twice.
Sounds to me like using your buddies 870 is a great way to honor his memory bud. Go get one for him! 👊

·
4,029 Posts
I have a Walker Elite hearing aid and the first time I tried them for turkey, I heard a gobble of in the distance but for whatever reason I couldn’t tell what direction it came from.

Have you noticed any difficulties determining the direction of a gobble?
I bought the walker silencer. The reviews were mixed to bad. But I have found them to be very nice. Mine are 3 weeks old today and yesterday evening I needed to replace the batteries for the 3rd time. This was a big complaint. As to direction I run a dogtra pathfinder track and trail system on my rabbit dogs. This system has a gps that shows me a dial with pointers that points right to each dog real time.Single dog or group. This is what I bought them for. Sometimes they get pretty deep in the 100’s of yards beyond my hearing at times. Anyway regardless of distance I can point to them barking/running anytime. And the gps tracking has always been dead on with my hearing. And I can enjoy hearing the chase even if there 400yds back in the brush. For $120 tmd I have found them to be very very nice. But there not $6000 hearing aids.

As to turkey hunting and I’ll learn more as season gets underway. My pot calls distort the sound I hear. While my mouth calls are just louder but sound good.

They also suppress loud sounds if I recall the kick in at 80 decibels and reduce it to 20. So you can hear a gun shot it’s just not loud. I have only tried this riding my buggy and shooting the encore 45/410 pistol shooting 410 ammo.

·
Registered
TenPoint Viper S400 / Garmin Xero
1,680 Posts
Sounds to me like using your buddies 870 is a great way to honor his memory bud. Go get one for him! 👊
One caveat to the story. He hunted all over the country and world, killed two Russian brown bears loads of African plains game and western US elk and mountain lions etc. Around 2010 or so he told me he had never shot a turkey. He bought that Remington and I told him I’d take him out. We hunted hard for two days and on the 3rd day I called in a double and we both connected! He got that turkey mounted and put into his game room with all those other mounts. He passed in March of 2019. So that Remington needs to knock another one down for sure. Been too long.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
I have read in the past one of the best ways is to shoot a Tom with archery equipment is in full strut with him facing away and aiming at the butt hole - providing he gives you that opportunity.

I just want to make sure not to break any of the wing bones so that I can make 2 wingbone calls. (y)

Plant Sky Tree Land lot Natural landscape

Reactions: R. Toker

·
4,029 Posts
Back when i hunted them with Trad bows a few days ago lol. I would place a pretty big rock in a hen decoy facing away from me. The gobbler came in and walked to the rear of the decoy. Giving me a facing away shot. With the lower speeds i was shooting 180 fps i needed all the help i could get. I killed a few using this trick never had one take a step.
It is a very deadly shot.
I killed one with the strykeforce surprising it flew straight up all about 10 feet and dropped down stone dead. Using the same set up.

But like so many things i drank the koolaid and needed better decoys and more of them. The old Hen decoy that had a hole in her head a mouse chewed lol. Has long since been lost.

Things sure were a lot more simple when they wasn't so complicated :).

41 - 60 of 95 Posts