Crossbow Nation banner

Turkey hunting with a crossbow

8K views 94 replies 25 participants last post by  Inspector98 
#1 ·
I'm considering using my Ravin R20 for turkey hunting this spring. I've always used a 12 gauge, but thought the crossbow might be a fun new challenge. I have 2 questions:
1) Will my Rage Hypodermics NC Crossbow braodheads work fine or is there something else that's recommended?

2) What ranges have people used this setup effectively for turkeys?

#3 ·
I turkey hunted with my R10 last spring - first time with a crossbow. I used the NAP Sptifire Gobbler Getter based on recommendations on here.

It has a blunt nose which is suppose to stay inside the bird upon impact instead of a pass thru. I also had some Ramcats in the quiver plus some Montec G5 heads in the drawer. I’m just not a mechanical fan but I’ll still probably use the NAP this spring.

#10 ·
I used Slick Trick Grizztricks for several years on turkeys and killed 4 turkeys with all pass throughs and recoveries. I'm going to use my fixed blade QAD Exodus this year some in a residential area where I have permission to hunt. If I was going to use a mechanical again for turkey hunting it would be a 4 blade expandable such as the Truglo Titanium X.

Reactions: Regohio
#5 ·
I don't consider myself a turkey hunter but have killed a couple with my crossbow while deer hunting. It didn't seem very difficult or challenging and if I ever were to hunt spring birds, I would definitely use a crossbow. One bit of advice that was useful to me is to study the anatomy of the bird. The kill zone for an arrow is not exactly where you would expect when broadside. Unless you plan on making headshots, which is the best target. Only problem with that is they never seem to stop moving their heads.

#28 ·
If I shoot a shotgun (rarely now) at a turkey I still shoot Remington Nitro 3 1/2 in. mags loaded with #5 lead shot I bought years ago for $3 or so a box on clearance at Walmart. I have killed gobblers up to 60 yards a couple of times with them. No need for the high dollar shells if your gun shoots good. My Mossberg 835 with the factory X-full turkey choke does the job. Rather shoot them with my crossbows now though.

#20 ·
Best guess I started bow hunting gobblers some 30 years ago. I have killed a back load of them with a sharp stick over the years. Bigger cut is better not needed but better. Slick trick grizztrick was my favourite fixed and my favourite expandable is the shwacker 150 gr 3” cut head. Bow never seemed to matter. I have and am taking a new path and I think adding a little bit more of a challenge. And started using the Encore 45/410 pistol. I still have some shooting to do. And one more mod to the forearm.
I shot 3 shots with my 2.5 1/2 oz loads sighting it in. Then the 4th

Wood Rectangle Art Brick Font

I adjusted the red dot left and down a bit. But still a very dead gobbler. I still want to shoot Winchester 3” 7 1/2 lead shot. And my reloads at 20 and 30 yds. But TSS is the ticket,the price is getting crazy. And I will likely go lead just to limit the range.

Good luck this spring.

#21 · (Edited)
Best guess I started bow hunting gobblers some 30 years ago. I have killed a back load of them with a sharp stick over the years. Bigger cut is better not needed but better. Slick trick grizztrick was my favourite fixed and my favourite expandable is the shwacker 150 gr 3” cut head. Bow never seemed to matter. I have and am taking a new path and I think adding a little bit more of a challenge. And started using the Encore 45/410 pistol. I still have some shooting to do. And one more mod to the forearm.
I shot 3 shots with my 2.5 1/2 oz loads sighting it in. Then the 4th

View attachment 221723
I adjusted the red dot left and down a bit. But still a very dead gobbler. I still want to shoot Winchester 3” 7 1/2 lead shot. And my reloads at 20 and 30 yds. But TSS is the ticket,the price is getting crazy. And I will likely go lead just to limit the range.

Good luck this spring.
Joe one of my friend's bought his son one of the Steven's single shot .410's and he is using TSS # 9 and the pattern is quite amazing at 40 yards with that little gun and a red dot. Youth day started this past Saturday and he killed a big Long Beard with this combination.
Wood Art Font Twig Circle

#27 ·
I think this was the next to the last gobbler i killed with a Bow. And i used the 150 gr swhacker 3" cut you guys know the bow lol.

I have my Encore rifle frame set up too. I started reloading TSS for myself last year.
Wood Automotive tire Gas Audio equipment Metal

170 pellets in a 10” paper plate at 60 yds. He’s all business :). I just felt I needed to change things Up and hunt with something else.

#32 ·
Actually I must have fired 2 shells - at about $7.35 apiece. :mad:

1st pic is the #9 TSS #9 tungsten. The #9 tungsten is suppose to have the same knockdown power as #5 lead shot.

I adjusted the red dot and later shot again at the same 30 yards. The original turkey choke that came on the gun sucked - the Carlson Long Beard really tightened things up.

I did take the 20ga out a couple times down here in the past 2 years but have opted to hunt with the R10.

Circle Flooring Font Auto part Pattern
Eye Human body Font Road surface Parallel

Reactions: Hester
#33 ·
I'm considering using my Ravin R20 for turkey hunting this spring. I've always used a 12 gauge, but thought the crossbow might be a fun new challenge. I have 2 questions:
1) Will my Rage Hypodermics NC Crossbow braodheads work fine or is there something else that's recommended?

I’ve taken two fall turkeys with an xbow as the fall season runs concurrent with archery deer season in Michigan. One around 35yds with a Rage Hypodermic crossbow head, the other the following year around 20yds with a G5 Montec. Aimed for the heart/lungs, and think I also got spine with each as they both dropped like limp rags and never twitched. This was from a Tenpoint Turbo GT.

If the area is relatively open where you can get an arrow through I’d say try the xbow and good luck!

#36 ·
These 2 pics just transmitted at 8:00 tonight, and they’re about 30-35 yards right in front of where I setup last year.

I’m setting up my blind chair this year to allow a bit more movement - I got caught twice last year and didn’t hear or know they were close.

I might hunt the mornings and then go back in the early evenings - seems like they’re right there at that late time. I’m pumped. (y)

Plant Sky Tree Natural landscape Grass
Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape Grass

#37 ·

I been using regular bow since the 1990's and had to switch to crossbow because of a work injury since 2016..I been head shooting them, I have never lost a bird this way...I have missed a few...The vitals are small on a turkey and when in full strut its hard to see where to aim.. If a gobbler gives me the butt shot ,I take it because its the best shot.. You have a aiming point right at the base of the fan...I been using Sevr Robusto 150 gr heads I found they are the most accurate for me out of my Nitro X..

#38 ·

I'm going out again this year with my Excalibur Mega Matrixn

Sorry about that I accidentally posted before I was finished writing my comment. I use an Excalibur Mega Matrix 380 but I use Excalibur Boltcutter 150 grain fixed blade broadheads. It's hits with a lot of force and they usually go down quick. If I'm in a blind I'll setup for 20 yards, if I'm not I setup for 30 yards if the cover isn't the best. Best of luck, I think you'll be hooked once you get your first bird with the crossbow. Be well, Mike.

#39 ·

Howdy
I have shot 8 turkeys over years with both bow and now crossbow
Your rage should work fine at 2” cut
I shot a dandy to at 28 yards last year.
very small kill zone so study were to hit them
One i shot last year was coming straight in
I put it next too were beard comes out.made two yards. Shot with a swat crossbow magnum
2x1 3/4 four blade
Any questions let me know
A great way to hunt
Jim

#41 ·
Howdy
I have shot 8 turkeys over years with both bow and now crossbow
Your rage should work fine at 2” cut
I shot a dandy to at 28 yards last year.
very small kill zone so study were to hit them
One i shot last year was coming straight in
I put it next too were beard comes out.made two yards. Shot with a swat crossbow magnum
2x1 3/4 four blade
Any questions let me know
A great way to hunt
Jim
Thanks Jim, i went to the range today to start practicing. One of my kids is coming this year as well w/a 20gauge...getting excited to go after the long-beards!

#42 ·
Didn’t check my pics yesterday because I’ve been laid up on the couch. When I looked at them this morning I about crapped. These are around 7-ish yesterday evening right in front of where I’ll put my blind. I’m excited.

Bird Sky Plant Tree Phasianidae
Plant Sky Bird Tree Wild turkey
Plant Sky Tree Natural landscape Grazing
Sky Plant Bird Cloud Tree
Plant Sky Tree Natural landscape Land lot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.