Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am up here in SE Iowa. I know the usual time for planting turnip and radish is the end of July into the first of Aug. I have been getting good rain now. You never know when it may stop and get dry this time of year. More is in the forecast . I like to have my small plots tilled and ready to go. When I see red on the radar I run out and plant seed. This weekend the 18th 19th,,is this too early to plant? is a bit early to me but I'd like to take advantage of the moisture. Any experiences with planting times for this stuff I'd appreciate,,,Thanks

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
Too early to plant? That will depend entirely on the weather I would think. If you get enough rain no it is not too early. If it turns into a mid summer drought then yep you planted too early. I have had good years and others when I had to replant so now I wait and plant in Sept usually.

·
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Loys of water here now. That's why I am thinking of it. The recommended time here is July 29 to Aug 8 but by then I may be in a drought. ? always a gamble. Not sure of the downside to planting now???

·
Registered
908 Posts
I know several guys who plant anytime there is moisture after middle July. This is in central Missouri, wouldn't think your climate would be much different.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
We planted our turnips, kale, etc several weeks ago and have a great stand now. Problem is there's plenty of tall grasses growing in it too. What can be used to curb or eliminate the grasses without hurting the turnips. kale, etc.?

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
Q
Can I spray Arrest Max Herbicide on established brassica mixes?
A
Arrest Max Herbicide is not specifically labeled for this application, so we cannot confirm the application would be safe or effective depending on your targeted weeds. Please provide details on your application needs for further assistance. Some other products which contain the same active ingredient are labeled for use on brassica vegetables.

·
297 Posts
Q
Can I spray Arrest Max Herbicide on established brassica mixes?
A
Arrest Max Herbicide is not specifically labeled for this application, so we cannot confirm the application would be safe or effective depending on your targeted weeds. Please provide details on your application needs for further assistance. Some other products which contain the same active ingredient are labeled for use on brassica vegetables.
See info on brassicas and clethodium

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
Looks like it is OK for grass in a brassica plot.

Regardless of what grass type that you might have in your brassica food plot planting, an application of a Clethodim based herbicide at 8-12 ounces per acre with 1 quart of crop oil added to the tank will clean the brassica plot up nicely.

As far as I am aware, there still hasn't been a herbicide developed that is safe for controlling broadleaf weeds in brassica food plots. Typically if a few weeds or grasses are present, my normal procedure of applying a burn down glyphosate application the day of or day before I seed my brassica food plot has worked very well in having a brassica field that is very clean.

·
297 Posts
That's what I am seeing too. Around here Cleth seems to be the go to herbicide for grasses in almost everything from what I have seen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts