Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This the earliest by one week. The soil moisture was right, fertilizer in and cooler weather with rain coming. I planted 1/2 acre and the seed bed looked better than it has in a year or two.
Last season I "dusted" them in October 3rd.
Oats to follow in mid September. I have before planted 1/2 acre then waited a couple weeks and planted another 1/2 acre.
Our bow opens in a month. The turnips may have action by then.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I planted on Aug 12 this year using Evolved Harvest 7 Card Stud seed mix. I put 1000 lbs of pelletized lime down and 100 lbs of 10-10-10 fertilizer (they were sold out of 13-13-13) and harrowed it in before sowing the seed. My 1/4th acre back yard plot is now greening up nice and getting rain showers almost daily. My deer all seem to have left when I plowed up the plot but they will be back soon. :)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I added a little lime this year. Maybe 1200 pounds on 1.5 ac. Soil test last year was 6.3 pH. New test next spring.
I also added 600 lbs. 15-15-15 on the 1&1/2 acres. The unplanted acre will be one or two plantings of oats. I have used Whitetail Institute products. I have enjoyed their customer service. I have rough, rocky soil and still get green fields to hunt.
Here is a pic from 3 years back. I have rotated turnips back to same spot.
turnip field with oats in background.7-10-18 17-40-00.JPG

·
Registered
13,204 Posts
I'm still holding off until planting until next weekend. I am figuring that's early enough with all the rain I'm getting compared to last couple of years. Last year I planted Labor Day weekend and it was hot and dry. Seed layed there 2 or 3 weeks waiting for rain then started growing. Barely had a tall enough stand of wheat and oats by cold weather. I over seeded with rye to make the plots all green. Year before last I waited until 2nd or 3rd week into Sep[t and waited too late. Plot turned green but was only a couple inches tall and not a lot for the deer to eat until spring warmup happeed.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still holding off until planting until next weekend.
I was going to hold off for a couple of weeks but things just looked right, felt right. Next 10 days shows 1" of rain over 4 days and no high above 88*. We had just over 1/4" rain yesterday and last night. I will still have the acre of oats going in later. The turnips in the pic above were planted 8/28 of 2017.

·
Registered
13,204 Posts
Wasn't much grasses growing but this afternoon I went over and sprayed both small plots anyway. The dirt is plenty wet so plowing wont be much of a problem. Gonna have it planted by next weekend. My season beings the 12th of Sept. It'll be germinated by then.:)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turnips look pretty good. Still a bare spot or two. I am looking into a cultipacker for next year. Oats going in next week.
20200909_084935.jpg

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I saw a video the other day that said they do not like being packed together and it recommended not planting them at the full rate. Said they need room to grow. You can get some grain rye and top seed it in and it will do well with the turnips and fill in the bare spots.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What a difference a few days make!
2020-09-13 14-00-00 T.JPG

·
Registered
13,204 Posts
Looks good. They don't need anything but hunting.;)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rain, sun, and cool weather seem to be in correct measure.
Only resident deer are in the area. When the oats come in more deer will show. Might be a good cold weather hunt this year over the turnips.

Reactions: Gabowman
1 - 13 of 13 Posts