Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Twin strike side question: the twin strike has 3 vane holes at the front end for the vanes to go through. If you shoot offset vanes will that be a problem? Mine came with offsets from Wyvern which I assume will work. I ordered some straight vanes to try also. Not sure what Excal is recommending. They are scarce with the Rhino nock on them.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I've got a press over here, but I don't think I can get across the border with it! Not to mention I don't know how to use it yet!

I hope you like the twinstrike! It feels pretty darn good. I may have plowed enough snow to get to a target this weekend just to shoot it for solidarity.
That makes two of us that haven't used a press yet, Phil.
If you want to sell it, I'm buying.
I'll pay for shipping, customs, whatever.
PayPal so no risk to you.
Just sayin'.
;)
I may even sell the R26 when the R500 comes in.
So many options, too much snow LOL.

Reactions: philztoy

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Nothing at all to a Ravin press. Easiest I have ever used.
Ya go ahead, rub it in Robert.
LOL, JK!

BTW, took two shots with the TwinStrike from a kneeling position, 15 yards indoors.
What a nice rig!

Balanced great, even with my tendinitis flaring up, it did not feel heavy.
Cocking with the Charger EXT is easy, about the same as a Ravin, effort-wise.
Rhino nocked arrows have to be pressed in kinda hard with an audible "click" like the Ravins, before the triggers will work.

I actually held the demo for about 5 minutes, aimed at the target, cause I messed up the draw by cocking it with the Safety in the SAFE position, oops.
So they had to figure out how to decock it or get it to release the Crank while I held it aimed with the arrows in it.
I grabbed a chair and sat and waited holding the TwinStrike.

They ended up figuring out how to shoot it without decocking so that was cool (wish I could remember what they did LOL).
The built-in bubble level is a nice touch and is easy to see while still viewing through scope, which has plenty of eye relief.
It is red or green illuminated with sweep progressive (like a volume control) brightness and clicks when in either of the two OFF positions.
Etched reticles go from 20 to 100 yards with progressively smaller circles for the longer distances.

I asked about string change and they said they would do it for like 10 bucks, see you in a few years LOL.
They are some heavy-duty strings, that is for sure!
They said the string aid rope or whatever it's called will be in stock soon so I can change myself or use a press, if I want to.

Sorry, did not take any pics.

I was there for 1.5 hours.
Why so long and only 2 shots?
Well it ends up the Owners Wife's youngest Brother is a very good old Friend of mine from High School/College that I have not seen since the 90s so we chatted and chatted and chatted some more.
What a blast from the past!
She even knows one of my old Girlfriends and her entire Family, wow!

Long story short, I walked out with a new TwinStrike off the rack, not the demo which you could see marks on the center serving.
He offered it at a discount but I said no thanks, I want the new one.
He threw in 6 more arrows and a Case, no charge and I grabbed another 6 arrows to boot.
Rhino nocked arrows (0.003) are $10 CAD each which is great compared to the EVO-X CenterPunch and Ravins, either 0.003 or 0.001.

Will post lots of pics tomorrow, even next to the our other xbows for size comparison.
I hope to clear the snow and open up our target shed.
i'm sure the local range has not been cleared of snow yet so may as well stay home for now.
Supposed to be above freezing next few days so it will be a mess for sure but who cares, these xbows are not for display, right?

I am going for a nap, maybe wake up 3am LOL.
I am tired from typing and too much half-caff coffee I think, plus been up since 4:30am-ish.

Cheers,
dyna

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Heck who am I trying to kid, I can't sleep now.
Here are some pics.
Excalibur TwinStrike on the left, TenPoint Vapor RS470 in the middle, Ravin R26 on the right.
20210219_193051.jpg

It is smaller than I remembered from the first time holding it last month, surprising. Weighs in just under 8lbs. Not sure if that is with or without the scope. Most likely without.
20210219_193142.jpg

The Overwatch Scope. Have to adjust speed to 360 fps or whatever I chrono the arrows' speed at.
20210219_193225.jpg

Pull one trigger at a time or both at once using index and middle fingers. Triggers are rated at 4lbs. Broke very cleanly with not much creep at all, IIRC. Will measure trigger pull first chance I get after sighting in.
20210219_193325.jpg

The Rhino Nock. Arrows must be seated firmly until an audible click is heard. Takes a little effort, same as first time seating a Ravin arrow. Nothing crazy, just not sure what to expect with a new xbow, new nock design.
20210219_193420.jpg

Zoom in on the Rhino Nock.
20210219_193459.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Dyno, I'd be interested in hearing how the limbs are constructed. Taper, thickness, etc. Also would be interested in knowing if the limb tips have an extra slot for a slave string.
Thanks, looking forward to your review.
I will get you as much info as I can, Jack Pine, my pleasure.
Will take a little time, I move slowly LOL.
I can say for certain that the limb tips have an extra slot for a string change aid, or whatever the term is.

Reactions: Boo and Jack Pine

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Twin strike side question: the twin strike has 3 vane holes at the front end for the vanes to go through. If you shoot offset vanes will that be a problem? Mine came with offsets from Wyvern which I assume will work. I ordered some straight vanes to try also. Not sure what Excal is recommending. They are scarce with the Rhino nock on them.
I am not sure yet, Phil.
I asked when I was loading why no cock vane but can't remember what they said, something like "no need to worry about it".
Probably not spine indexed Factory arrows I presume?

Which reminds me, I have not even checked the vanes for offset yet, will do so tomorrow.
Looks as though there is plenty of room for a normal, 1 degree offset.
I will have a closer look tomorrow and let you know what I see.

Again, I am still a xbow newb and have lots to learn, especially with this bad boy.
I will say that this xbow will not be for 100 yard shots, maybe occasionally for giggles.
I think we'd be more than happy with 50 to 60 yards tops.

Reactions: philztoy

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Sounds like you bought a really nice bow Dino!
That's great Dynamo. Hoping you enjoy your new bow. You'll be slinging double stacked arrows before ya know it.
Take care
Oncebitten
Thanks RegOhio and OnceBitten!
You all know the feeling with a new xbow, itchy trigger finger :)
C'mon sunrise!

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well so much for sighting in and shooting today.
Off to Dad's place to meet B-in-Law for 9am.
Apparently we have some emergency plumbing work to do.

Dad and I used to fix everything together but he will be 93 this summer and has lost interest in fixing things, as have I to some extent due to health issues.

Myself, I would call a plumber but my B-in-Law would kick me in the butt if I did that LOL.
Have a great day, all.
Hope I have enough energy left to at least clear the snow and open the target shed up this afternoon for sight-in.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
I am not sure yet, Phil.
I asked when I was loading why no cock vane but can't remember what they said, something like "no need to worry about it".
Probably not spine indexed Factory arrows I presume?

Which reminds me, I have not even checked the vanes for offset yet, will do so tomorrow.
Looks as though there is plenty of room for a normal, 1 degree offset.
I will have a closer look tomorrow and let you know what I see.

Again, I am still a xbow newb and have lots to learn, especially with this bad boy.
I will say that this xbow will not be for 100 yard shots, maybe occasionally for giggles.
I think we'd be more than happy with 50 to 60 yards tops.
Well so much for sighting in and shooting today.
Off to Dad's place to meet B-in-Law for 9am.
Apparently we have some emergency plumbing work to do.

Dad and I used to fix everything together but he will be 93 this summer and has lost interest in fixing things, as have I to some extent due to health issues.

Myself, I would call a plumber but my B-in-Law would kick me in the butt if I did that LOL.
Have a great day, all.
Hope I have enough energy left to at least clear the snow and open the target shed up this afternoon for sight-in.
Life and work always getting in the way of cross bowing!

Maybe the offset will be ok. I've had a lot of bows but I am still new at it. Lots of guys on this site have a lot of knowledge! I think I had one xcal that if I didn't position the vane right the offset would rub on something. Although that may have been the bow that had occasional flyers, so I though that might have been the cause. I will test it out at some point soon I hope.

Fixing stuff is only fun on cross bows for me anymore too. Hope you can get out to shoot.

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Good luck with the plumbing repair Dynamo. I always did all of our repair work but every year now I find myself doing a little less.
Take care
Oncebitten
Thanks OB, so far so good, hope to wrap it up tomorrow.
My B-in-Law is 10 years older than me and in great shape, still goes to work out at the gym every morning for a couple hours.
He always forgets the crap I've been through and pushes me hard on projects but he is my Elder and I respect him.
Had to borrow 2 t-shirts from Dad, I was sweating bullets.
Still feeling like I was hit by a bus right now LOL.
But it is all good!

Life and work always getting in the way of cross bowing!

Maybe the offset will be ok. I've had a lot of bows but I am still new at it. Lots of guys on this site have a lot of knowledge! I think I had one xcal that if I didn't position the vane right the offset would rub on something. Although that may have been the bow that had occasional flyers, so I though that might have been the cause. I will test it out at some point soon I hope.

Fixing stuff is only fun on cross bows for me anymore too. Hope you can get out to shoot.
Ya buddy, when I'm doing physical work that doesn't interest me, I have to get into another mindset so I don't get frustrated from the pain.

But hey Phil, I did look at the Excalibur arrows' vanes today.
Looks like they are offset 1 degree, right hand, from the Factory so no worries there.

I hope Excalibur sells the Rhino nocks soon so I can get some custom arrows from Farm Deer, South Shore and Vital Limits.
I enjoy supporting the Custom guys here; learning so much from them is well worth paying it back if/when I can.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Does that bow have a dual safety or one for both triggers?

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Does that bow have a dual safety or one for both triggers?
There is one safety on each side.
They are for both triggers as far as I know.
Will confirm sometime soon.

Reactions: Oncebitten

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
I hope Excalibur sells the Rhino nocks soon so I can get some custom arrows from Farm Deer, South Shore and Vital Limits.
I enjoy supporting the Custom guys here; learning so much from them is well worth paying it back if/when I can.
Every Excalibur I have shot could pretty much care less what arrow it shot. They are not arrow picky in the least.

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Every Excalibur I have shot could pretty much care less what arrow it shot. They are nor arrow picky in the least.
May be so Robert.

But in this case, the Rhino nock is part of the Anti-DryFire mechanism, kinda like the Ravin nocks.
Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can figure out a way to use other nocks.

I sure as heck am not messing with them.
For $10 CAD (about $8.00 USD, dang the CAD $ is going up) per arrow/nock/100gr point, I ain't complaining.
We are used to paying 50+% more than that for arrows/nocks/points.

Reactions: Oncebitten

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I really like that stock design, i hope they make a single shot mdel soon.
The stock and front grip are sweet, as is the finger guard.
Shoulders really well for me.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts