Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ever experience deer not using a feeder? I have this Fall and winter.
I used rice bran for years witj good luck so decided to avoid molded waste I would build a special feeder for keeping bran dry. Since corn prices jumped up it seen like a good idea.
I decided to place the feeder at a great spot that had deer traffic and high use history. In prior years I simply threw the corn and bran on the ground.
The feeder is placed on the south side of a ridge in an grown cedar thicket surrounded by woods of at least 125 depth in any direction. Same spot used to bait deer before.
Feeder was placed in early August. It was sprayed with scent killer to cut down on new smell.
The picture shown was shot recently. Since day one deer use has been almost zero. It's a misery why. Other critters use it often and in fact took it over early. I trapped them down to a trickle. I expected finally in cold weather as acorns burned away they would began using the feeder but no way. I surprised of these results from my experience. I expected use much earlier.
I have a cell linked camera overlooking it.

Any feedback as to what could be the deteriant is requested.

Thank fellow CBN members
Spot On

Plant Furniture Outdoor bench Table Wood

·
Registered
Kelowna, (aka, KTown) BC./ Swat!!! :)
3,052 Posts
Frank,,,,,sounds too me like the buggars are on a hunger strike for their corn!!! The bran is give'n the poor suckers the runzz!!!! IDK forsure,,,I could be wrong.....

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Frank,,,,,sounds too me like the buggars are on a hunger strike for their corn!!! The bran is give'n the poor suckers the runzz!!!! IDK forsure,,,I could be wrong.....
Nice thought KT!
There is corn available in about 250 yards on the property from me. Also I have mixed corn and threw both on the ground near the feeder to attract them but hasn't worked. I tried a few things but nothing worked. It's a nice secluded spot in a remote range. Cows can't even get it.

Reactions: KTownKiller

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They evidently don't like the structure or what's in it. Put corn in it and see if that changes.
The structure is suspect but I searched online for ideas and this is one that several had success with so I made my own version of it. It's style is used in the cattle ranching.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Try spreading corn around the perimiter in a big cirle and slowely make it smaller and smaller until them become comfortable at your feed station
Thanks. I tried this in variety a ways. Actually typed a reply to it earlier with KT but it was delayed because I failed to post it last night.
A few other arractants and feeds were tried including high protein blends and acorns. There was a good acorn crop and apparently it's still supplying some late winter feed. Pastures were burned out last fall from lack of rain so doesn't figure. Still scratching my head!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I suspect given time that they will become accustomed to it and begin using it more. I
personally don’t use the trough feeders but several of my hunting buddies do use them with success. Keep feed in it throughout the Winter so when your neighbors quite feeding after deer season your trough will be the only game in town.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
You trapped varmits close to this new feeder ? Metal leg traps or cage ? If leg holds the varmits maybe letting distress scent all over while in the trap. They will do it in no harm cages too. Just a thought. I hada couple pvc feeders, every time i would go thin out the tree rats with my .22. It would be 2-3 weeks before the tick toters came back

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You trapped varmits close to this new feeder ? Metal leg traps or cage ? If leg holds the varmits maybe letting distress scent all over while in the trap. They will do it in no harm cages too. Just a thought. I hada couple pvc feeders, every time i would go thin out the tree rats with my .22. It would be 2-3 weeks before the tick toters came back
Good thoughts!
I used dog proof style traps attached to the feeder legs. Caught lots of critters by permit. It's slowed down to none.
I even removed the traps for a few weeks thinking the same thing. When I reset the traps after a catch I used some type of scent cover spray such as scent killer are acorn spray. Also carried the trapped game out of the area. Covered blood with dirt.
Deer are just smarter than I ever thought when it comes to this.
On a few occasions they came to it but acted very suspicious and didn't return.
After all these months and very cold nights down before 20 degrees it doesn't figure.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Structure, IMO, is the problem. Deer do not like anything in close proximity and above their heads. I've been using One and Done barrel type feeders for years. While being observed by cameras, the deer readily take feed a few feet away from the feeder. The feed that is within four feet of the feeder is consumed by tree rats, squirrels, racoons etc.

Reactions: Spot-on-arrow

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have noticed a difference in the deer's consumption of feed mixtures in my bird feeders at the house. My suspicion is that they might be actually showing a preference for, or maybe better stated, a rejection of the corn in the mix. With the amount of GMO corn being grown now both intentionally, and by pollen drift, there may be something about the corn "putting them off their feed".

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been mixing corn with bran or feeding both ar same location. It's normally like a deer magnet especially big bucks. Doing right now at another location across the farm just throwing it on ground. Deer come to it every night and stay till it's gone
The hold purpose for having dry feeder was to allow bran or high protein feed use.
Thanks
Spot On

·
3,729 Posts
Deer in my area will reject any type of feeder. Don't know why they changed but they did. About all you can do is put some on the ground and see if they warm up to it. I understand your wanting to supplement there natural food (that's a good thing) but you might just have to watch the weather if possible and feed it when you can.

And hope they warm up to it.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Try a couple bags of corn with some peanuts on top -- that should do it.

Mine here in Ohio are very picky -- they only want straight corn no mixes; and deep woods deer I hunt here prefer apples over corn -- put out two bushels of apples and you've got a bonanza --- can't keep it stocked up.

I just dump mine on the ground -- no feeder.

Horns

·
Registered
15,334 Posts
The first year I ever put out a corn feeder (spinner on a tripod) I didnt get much response from the deer. They were very, very skiddish of the feeder and would walk around it but not feed near/under it. I moved it from the hardwoods and placed it on a food plot after the season needed. I think they began getting used to it and by the summer months they came regularly to it and have ever since.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The first year I ever put out a corn feeder (spinner on a tripod) I didnt get much response from the deer. They were very, very skiddish of the feeder and would walk around it but not feed near/under it. I moved it from the hardwoods and placed it on a food plot after the season needed. I think they began getting used to it and by the summer months they came regularly to it and have ever since.
I have good reception the majority of the time when I used spinners. This was my first attempt a a cover trough style feeder but I was willing to gamble on it because rice bran does great throwing on the ground but rain makes it mold then spoils it. Hogs can also get to it on the ground but so not 2 feet high.

·
Registered
15,334 Posts
I built a couple feeders like that one you showed. I ddnt have any cameras but from the tracks I knew deer ate from it but so did every other creature in the woods. It was very expensive keeping corn in it and afterwords I converted to spinners. My wooden box feeders holds my archery targets now.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I built a couple feeders like that one you showed. I ddnt have any cameras but from the tracks I knew deer ate from it but so did every other creature in the woods. It was very expensive keeping corn in it and afterwords I converted to spinners. My wooden box feeders holds my archery targets now.
Yeah! Expense could be a problem. They want take as much bran as corn.
On the other hand it offered me a great opportunity to trap out undesirable critters like racoons, possums, skunks, which are predators for turkey eggs. Right away there was 5 or more racoons feeding from it each night then possums took over when I trapped the racoons down. Now possums are very few. About ten days ago I saw 23 turkey in the pasture which was inspiring because last spring the count was only 6 which runs back into last year.
I have enjoyed trying it but I think the high traffic I made going in to clear traps may have caused some issues even though I wasn't busted.
One thing I changed was the bright tin roof. I covered it with a nice think camo tarp about 2 weeks ago. Before I used a different cover that was too thin and already the weather took it toll of it.
Initially the green treated lumber I used had strong smell that I was concerned about.
The big roof was perhaps overdone but I designed it to stand up to heavy snow and to expand out enough to keep the bran dry. It does a great job of keeping bran dry so mission accomplished. It took 3 piece of tin 8 x 2 feet to cover it. There was no need to trim any.
Maybe as food sources continue to melted away the deer will warm up to it and if I stop trapping at that location.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think at this point i would fill it with something very aromatic like half sweet feed half corn or something similar and walk away from it. Give it some time to settle down and wait on colder temps.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts