Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ever experience deer not using a feeder? I have this Fall and winter.
I used rice bran for years witj good luck so decided to avoid molded waste I would build a special feeder for keeping bran dry. Since corn prices jumped up it seen like a good idea.
I decided to place the feeder at a great spot that had deer traffic and high use history. In prior years I simply threw the corn and bran on the ground.
The feeder is placed on the south side of a ridge in an grown cedar thicket surrounded by woods of at least 125 depth in any direction. Same spot used to bait deer before.
Feeder was placed in early August. It was sprayed with scent killer to cut down on new smell.
The picture shown was shot recently. Since day one deer use has been almost zero. It's a misery why. Other critters use it often and in fact took it over early. I trapped them down to a trickle. I expected finally in cold weather as acorns burned away they would began using the feeder but no way. I surprised of these results from my experience. I expected use much earlier.
I have a cell linked camera overlooking it.

Any feedback as to what could be the deteriant is requested.

Thank fellow CBN members
Spot On

View attachment 216114
The first year I ever put out a corn feeder (spinner on a tripod) I didnt get much response from the deer. They were very, very skiddish of the feeder and would walk around it but not feed near/under it. I moved it from the hardwoods and placed it on a food plot after the season needed. I think they began getting used to it and by the summer months they came regularly to it and have ever since.
Same here..just took some time getting used to them.....seems the fawns that have grown up around them now as adults have no fear at all of the tripods , but was a learning curve for a while...in fact, some of the mature bucks never will feed under them...just the nature of the beast..

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
This has been a strange deer season as far deer habit changes. Every year for 10 years thru out the season when I travel to and from my hunting land I see deer along the way and when I arrive.
This year it's rare to see one. I assume deer have plenty food in wooded areas so they stay in cover.
On the other hand they made be getting wiser. I have several game cameras that indicate what they are doing. The photos indicate they are moving or feeding after dark 98% of the time accept one doe herd. They have been left alone so they normally feed after 5 o'clock the evening. So rarely do the other deer with several bucks feed at daylight. It's so rare there no pattern favorable for taking one.
Just observations!

Spot on

·
Registered
759 Posts
I built a feeder years ago almost like that one in the spring on a piece of property where I was already feeding corn it took the deer about 3 to 4 months to get used to it and start eating out of it. I still had to put corn near the feeder on the ground to get the smarter does in the area to commit to come in. I use 4 inch PVC type feeders with a Y for feeding now and strap them to a tree and deer will be eating out of them in 3 to 4 days. I keep the feeders off the ground so they don't collect moisture and they have a drain in the bottom to let any moisture out and are capped at the top to not let any moisture in. I'm sure you have holes in the bottom of the barrels for water to drain out because that was a necessity for me making sure my corn stayed dry while I was using the feeder like you have built. Good luck and like others have said use corn to begin with and eventually mix the rice bran or whatever else you're going to use to supplement your feeding when they get used to it.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
I built a feeder years ago almost like that one in the spring on a piece of property where I was already feeding corn it took the deer about 3 to 4 months to get used to it and start eating out of it. I still had to put corn near the feeder on the ground to get the smarter does in the area to commit to come in. I use 4 inch PVC type feeders with a Y for feeding now and strap them to a tree and deer will be eating out of them in 3 to 4 days. I keep the feeders off the ground so they don't collect moisture and they have a drain in the bottom to let any moisture out and are capped at the top to not let any moisture in. I'm sure you have holes in the bottom of the barrels for water to drain out because that was a necessity for me making sure my corn stayed dry while I was using the feeder like you have built. Good luck and like others have said use corn to begin with and eventually mix the rice bran or whatever else you're going to use to supplement your feeding when they get used to it.
Thanks!
The extended roof on my feeder has worked great to prevent rain from blowing in and getting anything wet. There has been no water to drain.
Recently there was a few deer at the feeder.
Yesterday my son noticed 20 deer feeding on acorns that are still dropping in the pasture so go figure.

Plant Shade Tree Natural landscape Working animal

·
Registered
759 Posts
Looks like the deer are getting used to it, mine had a hang over roof also but sometimes with rain storms and the wind blowing my corn would get wet some so I modified the bottom of my feeders so any water getting in would drain. The great thing is by next year they should be eating out of it like cattle.

Reactions: robertyb

·
Registered
22 Posts
Glad they finally showed up. I was gonna suggest to just keep feeding year round, and that they'd finally start hitting it regularly.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts