Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Those look interesting. I need more broadheads about like I need another hole in my head.:)

Reactions: archer36

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Yep, interesting and it looks tough. You could build a double stacker that's pretty crazy if that's what you care to do.

I'm shooting a 4 blade 125 gn solution with .036 blades that gives 3.5" cut. Yes, it's banded but that's no issue for me. It's working well, flies right, cutting well, killing animals quickly so I'm sticking with it.

Reactions: archer36

·
1,316 Posts
Interesting! I was thinking of trying tooth of the arrow as used in the video. Also looking to make as big a cut as I can with a fixed blade. Wonder how it would fly tho?

·
1,316 Posts
Hope some one tries these true blue with their favorite broadhead. Added weight. I wonder how they would fly.? Maybe I will have to try. I emailed the true blue staff about using them on a crossbow. Who here shoots 2oo grains on the end of their arrow?

·
2,787 Posts
Interesting. No shortage of intriguing broadheads out there. After last year’s results, I’m going with the “If it ain’t broke” option.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Who here shoots 2oo grains on the end of their arrow?
Certainly not me! Maybe if I was in Africa hunting Cape Buff or something. I wouldn't even contemplate the idea in North America, except MAYBE for huge coastal brown bear or giant interior grizzly. Other than that, it's overkill IMO. 125 or 150 grain heads will kill the aforementioned bear just as dead though.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A 100 grain two blade head with this add on would be devastating. It would add 200 grains total to the arrow. For most that would be a total arrows weight of 500 to 525 grains. At ranges of up to 40 yds, it would be hardly noticeable if you are shooting a 400 fps plus bow.

·
1,316 Posts
The video demo is just using a vert bow. So guess no need for tremendous power. Youd have to adjust your scope and tune with just broadheads, Not expect to compare with target points. which I never do anyway

·
Registered
570 Posts
Somebody always trying to build a better mouse trap, when the old mouse traps still work as they should. Really, if you think you need something like that to harvest deer, go for it.I'm sure the manufacture will be smiling all the way to the bank. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It's not a bad concept, but other than the extra weight it adds from the ferrule being purposely designed to add weight, it's really no different than some of the "combo heads" out there that utilize a fixed COC head and then use a mechanical further down the ferrule. I didn't watch the penetration part of the tests, but in some ways I believe that design can actually hurt penetration and slow the arrow down from friction upon contact, depending on what part of the anatomy is hit. I could be wrong on that though. After all, I am no engineer. LOL! Regardless, it's not for me. If I desire a heavier arrow, I would prefer to have them custom made, or build them myself to even out the weight through out the entire shaft, as opposed to having that much weight concentrated towards the tip of the arrow.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What if your NOT shooting a 400 fps plus bow.? Like mine 330 fps?
The extra weight and blades will slow your arrow and pass thru potential.
For instance, your setup would produce about 90 lbs of KE. A 400 fps bow would produce about 160. That's a big difference. The 90 lbs of KE is enough to kill a deer though if properly placed in the heart/lung area,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts