Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The vac which is in the attic adds more noise than the saw and square

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
Looks like a great tool Jerry.

Is this squaring step something that improves the rough cut made by the saw which is a structural shaft benefit where it meets the insert? Does the value of this step translate into appreciable accuracy gain? Maybe you can educate me on that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Northeastern Wisconsin
104 Posts
Go to JerryR's youtube channel at "Arrow Guru"
watch video named "February 17,2021"

would be a start, "have a good day"

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like a great tool Jerry.

Is this squaring step something that improves the rough cut made by the saw which is a structural shaft benefit where it meets the insert? Does the value of this step translate into appreciable accuracy gain? Maybe you can educate me on that?

Thanks!
View attachment 193405
Yes it smooths out the roughness plus trues up the end of the shaft

It is impossible to cut an arrow square on today's arrow saws so I think this type of toil os priceless
Also to have the strongest glue joint possible you need a solid base for the flange of of the insert to set against

Reactions: Hidden Waters

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
Yes it smooths out the roughness plus trues up the end of the shaft

It is impossible to cut an arrow square on today's arrow saws so I think this type of toil os priceless
Also to have the strongest glue joint possible you need a solid base for the flange of of the insert to set against
Thanks Jerry. A great insert bond is very important, no question at all. Shaft squaring is something I've never been able to prove it or see it in accuracy or durability even on cuts that may be several degrees off. The insert alignment is never compromised when I check end point runout and ETE length difference is minor as well. Now I'll admit I'm not building many arrows in comparison but have always wondered about this step.

I get questioned about what I do on car restorations all the time especially on the attention to detail on things no one will ever see. To me it's of value but to most it doesn't matter a bit. I suspect this is a similar thing or have I missed something?

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,327 Posts
Bmiller is pretty handy with his designing....

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Jerry. A great insert bond is very important, no question at all. Shaft squaring is something I've never been able to prove it or see it in accuracy or durability even on cuts that may be several degrees off. The insert alignment is never compromised when I check end point runout and ETE length difference is minor as well. Now I'll admit I'm not building many arrows in comparison but have always wondered about this step.

I get questioned about what I do on car restorations all the time especially on the attention to detail on things no one will ever see. To me it's of value but to most it doesn't matter a bit. I suspect this is a similar thing or have I missed something?
One complaint I heard weekly, my inserts are not staying in place, I have heard you guys have great success with adhesion

We did two things since day one, squared shafts and made sure we had 100% coverage on the insert flange

The second complaint was arrows that didn't spin correctly

I have no hard data but with 20 years and not far from selling a million arrows and shafts I can't help but believe arrow squaring added value

Reactions: ranger sgt

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
469 Posts
i have absolutely seen the difference with broad heads at long range 60 yards or more of a bow shooting 438.f p.s.

Thought the broad heads sucked. Finally after a third set of broad heads decided to do some hard core squaring of the inserts and suddenly my groups went to 3 "

1 - 10 of 10 Posts