Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Wow!!! Thank goodness it just broke without flying apart - nobody hurt. Over a 4 decade archery career I’ve had a few broken limbs and exploding carbon arrows - frightening.

This’ll be a good test of Killer Instinct Customer Service - please keep us in the loop on how they respond.
It was cocked but I hadn't dropped a bolt in yet when I heard the crack. And right limb was leaning way closer to rail so I knew something was up. I loaded up my discharge arrow set it on the ground pointed towards my target and pulled the trigger with a 10' string while I hid behind a chair. Luckily the unload was pretty unspectacular.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It was cocked but I hadn't dropped a bolt in yet when I heard the crack. And right limb was leaning way closer to rail so I knew something was up. I loaded up my discharge arrow set it on the ground pointed towards my target and pulled the trigger with a 10' string while I hid behind a chair. Luckily the unload was pretty unspectacular.
That’s was well played - safety first, always. Glad to hear it didn’t shatter or send the bolt into the neighboring zip code.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Did not come straight from them. I checked all bolts before shooting didn't crank anything down as hard as I could but tightened a few up. I sent them message through their website portal but it didn't have an option for an attachment that way. I called as soon as I got it safely unloaded and it was already after hours. I will follow up tomorrow.
Check your limb dampener to see how tight it fits. If they are hard to install or a shade
large where they fit between the limbs, this will put extra stress on the limb. The limb
has to be able to flex when cocking and shooting the crossbow. I had a similar instance
happen on a Carbon Express F-Force 390 Pile Driver. It has approximately 2000 shots.
Mine started to show fine splinters on the face in the area of the limb dampener was. My
dampeners came in on the large side and were tight to install.

Wishing you all the best.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I know nothing about the manufacture of crossbows but it seems KI ran into some bad limbs from who ever makes them. I'm sure they will follow up with the limb manufacture to review their processes.

Years ago in the Power Generation business we had an extremely difficult time installing and using fiberglass pipe. The installation process required a very narrow temperature range and extremely clean joints when epoxing the pipes together. Some of our 24" diameter piping proved to be almost impossible to install with good reliability. We eventually replaced it with steel piping which is much more forgiving. The best fiberglass piping we used was Bondstand and was only used up to 4" in diameter. When prepared properly and the epoxing directions followed it gave very good performance. Actually it was pretty tough pipe and could take a beating but the epoxied joints would frequently fail depending on who did the repair or installation.

In addition I've see Cooling Tower fan fiberglass blades fail and toss a 30 foot section of fan blade into our parking lot!!

So fiberglass demands close tolerances on heat range for curing and absolute cleanliness!!

Bill

Reactions: SEW and Gab

·
1,481 Posts
Did not come straight from them. I checked all bolts before shooting didn't crank anything down as hard as I could but tightened a few up. I sent them message through their website portal but it didn't have an option for an attachment that way. I called as soon as I got it safely unloaded and it was already after hours. I will follow up tomorrow.
If you notice on the Contact Us page of their web site, you will see the following email address.
[email protected]
Use this to email them with photographs.
I talked to the President at KI and he liked the idea of putting a place on their contact page form to allow for attachments. He said it's a great idea and he will be looking into it.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
That didn't take long. Pretty concerning. Hope you get her fixed up with no more issues. The swat it a pretty sweet set up. Just too many snap, crackle, pops going on at the moment. I'm sure it will be resolved.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So quick update. I talked to KI customer service and they absolutely would take care of me but I'd have to pay the pro shop labor. I bought it through Amazon so I'm just getting my refund back through them. I then called South Shore Archery to see if they had any in stock. They're already making me some bolts for this bow so I figured add in a new bow. Great guys (and girls) over there and they're going to take care of me and even save me a few bucks!

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
So quick update. I talked to KI customer service and they absolutely would take care of me but I'd have to pay the pro shop labor. I bought it through Amazon so I'm just getting my refund back through them. I then called South Shore Archery to see if they had any in stock. They're already making me some bolts for this bow so I figured add in a new bow. Great guys (and girls) over there and they're going to take care of me and even save me a few bucks!
Whoa, whoa, whoa, why should you pay the Pro Shop labor for a faulty limb on a brand new xbow?
That does not sound right, to me anyway!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Bummer, but glad you got the full refund.

Eric is great to deal with!!! Hope you get your new bow and arrows soon

·
Registered
23 Posts
Details on the warranty issue........???? What's the deal with the pro shop and paying? Basically a DOA bow. Did KI tell you that? Is that the fine print of their warranty? Would like to know more how they feel fees on a DOA unit is your expense.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Details on the warranty issue........???? What's the deal with the pro shop and paying? Basically a DOA bow. Did KI tell you that? Is that the fine print of their warranty? Would like to know more how they feel fees on a DOA unit is your expense.
Yes one of their reps told me that. I called first thing in the morning. She was able to direct me to the closest dealer to my zip code. And said once the dealer let them know what parts were needed they would ship them out right away but that I would have to pay the pro shop labor.

Since I just got it yesterday and Amazon is good about giving up return labels to send it back that just sounded like an easier option. I told the rep that and she said yes that's an option if you want to do that.

I already have it boxed up and prepaid ups shipping label attached and as soon as I finish working I'm taking it in to ups.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
That response right there just sealed the deal for me not owning one! I have been watching this bow and glad I waited for it to get into multiple hands to see how it went! Good luck with the next one though!

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
You are doing the correct thing returning it to Amazon. If you haven't done this before when I returned a rangefinder to them I took it to a UPS store and they logged it in. Within an hour or so I had been refunded by Amazon. I was surprised as it said when received on the website.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
So Amazon will not question you sending them a crushed bow back for a refund????
Nope they're pretty good at this. I suspect the seller will sort things out with KI. If it was more than 30 days since I purchased it I imagine it would be a different story.

Or I hope they do because I already ordered my replacement from SSA. 😂

·
2,880 Posts
Amazon is pretty good about returns. I had a similar experience as Robert when I returned a Sightmark scope. Account was credited before they possibly could have had it back.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts