Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys reuse your bolts after putting them thru and animal and 6 inches into the dirt behind it? I’m using the the evo x center punch bolts. Launching them through the nitro XRT. The bolts look fine and don’t seem to damaged at all. But I’m not an expert and I’m worried about what I can’t see. Like, what if the the bolt shatters on the rail, simulates a dry fire and blows the bow up.. is it worth it to even try? I haven’t reused any of the 3 bolts I took deer with this year. And they ain’t cheap. Any thoughts fellas?

·
Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
16,877 Posts
If I felt as uneasy as you do about it then I wouldn't reuse them. I'm only shooting @ 350 fps out of my bow. I wash, inspect, and reuse my arrows as long as they look good. At first I didn't, but the vase got full and I didn't have anywhere else to save my "trophies" so I started reusing what I could and throwing away what I couldn't. I have killed 3 and 4 deer with the same arrow some times. Other times they are damaged first time.

Reactions: leroy.brotzman

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, then I’m thinking my guy is right. And if and when I do have a vase full of bolts that connected, by then I’ll hopefully have the wisdom to know what to fly and what to toss. As of now, I’m super pumped having 3 blood smeared bolts sitting on my work bench in my basement. 2 muzzys, one rage. One hell of a year

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s the thing. I don’t know. Everything with the bolt appears fine. In all reality it most likely is fine. I’ve had 2 bolts blow up on my old Parker. Didn’t blow the bow. I’m thinking my reservations are that I’m using now a extremely powerful and intricate bow, and no matter how comfortable with it I am a little mistake can be a serious disaster. Maybe I’m on the side Of too cautious, but if you’ve ever been behind one of these monsters.. you certainly don’t want problems.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
To check for damage, bend and twist the shaft while listening for any popping or cracking noise. There's probably several YouTube videos on this subject, just do a search.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
To check for damage, bend and twist the shaft while listening for any popping or cracking noise. There's probably several YouTube videos on this subject, just do a search.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I do like samt says. Clean the arrow up, inspect it, if it looks ok put it keep using it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Excalibur Vortex 330, Centerpoint Sniper 370, Centerpoint Patriot 425
16,877 Posts
Well, then I’m thinking my guy is right. And if and when I do have a vase full of bolts that connected, by then I’ll hopefully have the wisdom to know what to fly and what to toss. As of now, I’m super pumped having 3 blood smeared bolts sitting on my work bench in my basement. 2 muzzys, one rage. One hell of a year
Just save 'em for now. Theyre GREAT trophies to go along with the pictures of your deer. You can always clean 'em up later if you decide to.;):)

Reactions: Gator88

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm another who cleans, insects, resharpens & uses. One step I'd add is certainly shoot them again to verify point of impact hasn't changed. It shouldn't & in my experience usually doesn't. I killed my 1st three deer with a crossbow using the same arrow & broadhead.

The arrow I used on a buck this year, however, wasn't the same after the shot. It has no visual defects but the point of impact did change - no idea why. That arrow is a 'trophy' for now, at least.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.