Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is what high speed is all about; laser-like shots, one reticle out to 50 yards.
Gravity? What is that?
:)
The 5:05 mark in the video is where they start talking about 500fps and one reticle to 50 yards.
The video is cued to start at 4:45.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Well here we go again with shoots like a rifle? "Use one reticle out to 50 yds"? My ballistics calculator says a 400 gr arrows travelling 500 fps has a 18" drop at 50 yds. Even if you zero at 25 yds, you still have about a 14" drop at 50. The 222 ft lbs of KE (at zero yds) is correct so my arrow weight/fps combo estimate must be close.
Give me a break.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think you need a new ballistic calculator..My R29 at 400 fps due to the string and cables being stretched doesn't drop that much at 50 yrds with a 400 gr arrow.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I think you need a new ballistic calculator..My R29 at 400 fps due to the string and cables being stretched doesn't drop that much at 50 yrds with a 400 gr arrow.
I use two different ones. What do you use?

·
Banned
KI Lethal 405
222 Posts
Well here we go again with shoots like a rifle? "Use one reticle out to 50 yds"? My ballistics calculator says a 400 gr arrows travelling 500 fps has a 18" drop at 50 yds. Even if you zero at 25 yds, you still have about a 14" drop at 50. The 222 ft lbs of KE (at zero yds) is correct so my arrow weight/fps combo estimate must be close.
Give me a break.
If you're using an app, would you mind spilling the beans on the name? There's a lot of them out there...

·
Registered
146 Posts
simple stand a sheet of plywood on end @ 100 yrds put dot on it and send arrow note were it hits..i think youd throw the bow in the trash can and grab a 300 Weatherby..my buddy shot one elk with a vertical bow @ 123 yrds with a pendulum sight shot # 5 hit the elk and killed it..i think i will stick with it archery and keep it close..the guy that shot elk @ 123yrds i won't hunt with as hes a dbag he got lucky

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Man, Archer36 sure knows how to depress us Ravin guys with a reality check. It's been over 50 years since I've had any Physics training but as I recall, I did Ace it in both high school and engineering school.
I'm sure I could dig up the formula for velocity change and the affects that gravity has on the object but I don't doubt this app. at all.

Nevertheless, I do think Ravin deserves some serious credit for the engineering that went into the R500 and R500E.
First, everyone thought 500 fps could not be achieve with a conventional limbed crossbow and RDT would have to be the way to go. Well Ravin blew that theory out the window.
Second, someone was bound to figure out that a battery powered cocking mechanism could have some serious merit for those who were physically handicapped to the point where they couldn't cock such a fast crossbow.
Well guess who figured it out first.
Third, Ravin not only proved that you didn't need an excessively long power stroke with a conventional limbed crossbow to reach 500 fps, but they also designed it in a 28" enclosed frame and still didn't exceed 8 pounds in weight.
Fourth, they figured out how to make the battery pack detachable and just needed a small 12 volt Lion pack to pull it off.
Fifth, they incorporated a dual screw drive that offers several unique features such as good cocking speed and retentive motion control in both directions.

I'd say they hit the ball out of the park once again and other will have to follow or go home.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Man, Archer36 sure knows how to depress us Ravin guys with a reality check. It's been over 50 years since I've had any Physics training but as I recall, I did Ace it in both high school and engineering school.
I'm sure I could dig up the formula for velocity change and the affects that gravity has on the object but I don't doubt this app. at all.

Nevertheless, I do think Ravin deserves some serious credit for the engineering that went into the R500 and R500E.
First, everyone thought 500 fps could not be achieve with a conventional limbed crossbow and RDT would have to be the way to go. Well Ravin blew that theory out the window.
Second, someone was bound to figure out that a battery powered cocking mechanism could have some serious merit for those who were physically handicapped to the point where they couldn't cock such a fast crossbow.
Third, Ravin not only proved that you didn't need an excessively long power stroke with a conventional limbed crossbow to reach 500 fps, but they also designed it in a 28" enclosed frame and still didn't exceed 8 pounds in weight.
Fourth, they figured out how to make the battery pack detachable and just needed a small 12 volt Lion pack to pull it off.
Fifth, they incorporated a dual screw drive that offers several unique features such as good cocking speed and retentive motion control in both directions.

I'd say they hit the ball out of the park once again and other will have to follow or go home.
It's not my intention to "depress" anyone. Just stating facts. You cannot have POI from zero to 50 yds with any crossbow. People need to analyze what's being said. A 500 fps bow is only 10% faster than some other bows. That's not enough to wipe away arrow drop. It's sounds impressive but doesn't amount to a big difference. As a side note, who in their right mind wants a 400 gr arrow any way? Just for chits and giggles I guess when you look at the chronograph. 😲

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I have him on ignore but I can only imagine. I did pretty well with trigonometry in engineering school as well. I still use it today but I have to consult my Machinist’s Handbook for formulas and charts. 🙃

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

Agreed Bill. It's still Ravin and "everyone else".

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
1hunter,
As usual, I have to agree with you
It would really be interesting to see sales numbers. If I had to guess, I'd say Barnett is still probably number 1 in sales volume because of cost and volume distribution.
But No. 2 might surprise with the addition of CenterPoint to the Ravin family.
I don't know - TenPoint and the Wicked Ridge family probably hold the No. 2 spot but I bet Ravin/CenterPoint is knocking on their door.
Then there's the rest.

One thing is for sure for me. I have to buy electronics like my phone and TV from overseas but I'll be dang if I buy a crossbow made overseas unless it gets to the point that they all are made out elsewhere.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Agreed Bill. It's still Ravin and "everyone else".
So, just did some research. The drop at 50 yards with a 20 yard zero with a 400 grain arrow at 500 FPS is actually 8.34 inches. NOT 18 inches as claimed by Archer 36. Even with my R10 zeroed at 20 yards, the drop is only 14.28". Give ME a break Archer 36. As to who would use a 400 grain arrow, me and thousands of other expert hunters, that is who. I think your problem is that you are a know it all troll who is a legend in his own mind. I find it interesting that the can nots are the first ones to criticize those who can AND DO! As was said earlier there are Ravins and then there is everything else. As to hunting elk with crossbow or 300 Mag, well, if you can't run with real archery hunters, get a howitzer. Finally, any archer who claims to be an experienced archery hunter who cannot compensate for an 8 inch drop should not be hunting in the first place.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
So, just did some research. The drop at 50 yards with a 20 yard zero with a 400 grain arrow at 500 FPS is actually 8.34 inches. NOT 18 inches as claimed by Archer 36. Even with my R10 zeroed at 20 yards, the drop is only 14.28". Give ME a break Archer 36. As to who would use a 400 grain arrow, me and thousands of other expert hunters, that is who. I think your problem is that you are a know it all troll who is a legend in his own mind. I find it interesting that the can nots are the first ones to criticize those who can AND DO! As was said earlier there are Ravins and then there is everything else. As to hunting elk with crossbow or 300 Mag, well, if you can't run with real archery hunters, get a howitzer. Finally, any archer who claims to be an experienced archery hunter who cannot compensate for an 8 inch drop should not be hunting in the first place.
I said it's a 18" drop from zero yards. You claim 8.34 with a 20 yd zero. The calculator I use will say a 3" drop at 20 so that would translate to a 15" drop at 50. Don't shoot me. I did not make this online ballistics calculator that has been around for many years. So no sense in splitting hairs. Let's say You are right. You would then say that the drop from zero to 50 yds will be about 12". So I'll give you that. BUT THAT'S NOT THE SAME AS NO DROP to 50 yds as they claim in the video and the title of the thread. Not even close!
Oh, what's with this "expert hunter" thing. The only thing I know that comes close is a PH (Professional Hunter Certified) in South Africa. But they are not even called "experts". Who awards you that title? LOL

1 - 20 of 93 Posts