Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

Registered
It's not my intention to "depress" anyone. Just stating facts. You cannot have POI from zero to 50 yds with any crossbow. People need to analyze what's being said. A 500 fps bow is only 10% faster than some other bows. That's not enough to wipe away arrow drop. It's sounds impressive but doesn't amount to a big difference. As a side note, who in their right mind wants a 400 gr arrow any way? Just for chits and giggles I guess when you look at the chronograph. 馃槻
Or you could use a 350 or 370gr like the others do to make their inflated speeds. And, BTW, these are real guaranteed speeds, not "up to" like you know who.

Registered
I said it's a 18" drop from zero yards. You claim 8.34 with a 20 yd zero. The calculator I use will say a 3" drop at 20 so that would translate to a 15" drop at 50. Don't shoot me. I did not make this online ballistics calculator that has been around for many years. So no sense in splitting hairs. Let's say You are right. You would then say that the drop from zero to 50 yds will be about 12". So I'll give you that. BUT THAT'S NOT THE SAME AS NO DROP to 50 yds as they claim in the video and the title of the thread. Not even close!
Oh, what's with this "expert hunter" thing. The only thing I know that comes close is a PH (Professional Hunter Certified) in South Africa. But they are not even called "experts". Who awards you that title? LOL
I don't need a "certificate" from Africa my friend. My time as a Combat Spec Ops Sniper and fifty-five plus years of hunting everything on the American continent, qualifies me to speak. Expertise comes from practice and years of experience. My Sniper Tab, combat experience, and two purple hearts qualifies me as an expert in most people's book, don't need your approval nor does anyone else on this thread.

Registered
I don't need a "certificate" from Africa my friend. My time as a Combat Spec Ops Sniper and fifty-five plus years of hunting everything on the American continent, qualifies me to speak. Expertise comes from practice and years of experience. My Sniper Tab, combat experience, and two purple hearts qualifies me as an expert in most people's book, don't need your approval nor does anyone else on this thread.
Congrats on your accomplishments. Just never heard anyone call themselves an "expert hunter". Expert shooter, yes. I think you are always learning when it comes to hunting.

Registered
I said it's a 18" drop from zero yards. You claim 8.34 with a 20 yd zero. The calculator I use will say a 3" drop at 20 so that would translate to a 15" drop at 50. Don't shoot me. I did not make this online ballistics calculator that has been around for many years. So no sense in splitting hairs. Let's say You are right. You would then say that the drop from zero to 50 yds will be about 12". So I'll give you that. BUT THAT'S NOT THE SAME AS NO DROP to 50 yds as they claim in the video and the title of the thread. Not even close!
Oh, what's with this "expert hunter" thing. The only thing I know that comes close is a PH (Professional Hunter Certified) in South Africa. But they are not even called "experts". Who awards you that title? LOL
One more point, he DID NOT SAY ZERO DROP in the video. He said, "...you can almost use the same reticle out to fifty yards..." He goes on to say the drop is "very minimal." If your going to say something make sure you are not altering what they say as you did in this post, to fit your narrative!

Registered
One more point, he DID NOT SAY ZERO DROP in the video. He said, "...you can almost use the same reticle out to fifty yards..." He goes on to say the drop is "very minimal." If your going to say something make sure you are not altering what they say as you did in this post, to fit your narrative!
The thread says " USE ONE RETICLE OUT TO 50 YDS". Enough already.
You can't use one reticle unless you want to hit 12-18 inches under your target. No getting around it.

Registered
you sir are what some call a legion in you mind..bet your a biden fella
Why don't you guys stick to the subject matter. It's about arrow trajectory.

Reactions: AlinMi

Registered
So, just did some research. The drop at 50 yards with a 20 yard zero with a 400 grain arrow at 500 FPS is actually 8.34 inches. NOT 18 inches as claimed by Archer 36.
With a moderate 2 3/4鈥 (I like 鈥榚m high) scope height (that does influence drop) I get 7 1/2鈥 with the Hawke BRC2 chart. I can only see certain posts but I can imagine what鈥檚 going on with you know who.

fullsizeoutput_ffa.png

Registered
With a moderate 2 3/4鈥 scope height (that does influence drop) I get 7 1/2鈥 with the Hawke BRC2 chart. I can only see certain posts but I can imagine what鈥檚 going on.

View attachment 195776
True, but I never said 20 yd zero. Add the additional 2.75" to the 7.5 and you have 10.25" if the table you are using is accurate. Who's to say whether yours is better than mine? That's still a far cry from "one reticle out to 50 yds". Would you like to hit your target 7.5" to 10.25" low? How are we even arguing the point here. It's not even what the exact numbers are that's important. The statement is absurd.

Registered
Ah-Ha,
Thanks Iowaguy. Should have known your experience with the Sig. BDX would shine through as well as you military sniper experience.
Set the scope to a 30 or 35 yard zero and you're good to go to 50.
Sounds very doable.
Thanks again.

Registered
Ah-Ha,
Thanks Iowaguy. Should have known your experience with the Sig. BDX would shine through as well as you military sniper experience.
Set the scope to a 30 or 35 yard zero and you're good to go to 50.
Sounds very doable.
Thanks again.
Correct but you can do this with a crossbow that shoots 410 fps also. Not much difference.

Reactions: robertyb

Registered
Dang Archery36,
You need to come on the Ravin forum more often. You have enough of us pissed off right now that more of us will be buying the R500.
Just admit it, TenPoint is behind now and Ravin is becoming more like the old Mathews Logo "Catch Us if You Can".
But please don't take me too seriously. It's all in good fun. If there weren't for us fanboys, CBN would be a pretty boring place.

Registered
The thread says " USE ONE RETICLE OUT TO 50 YDS". Enough already.
You can't use one reticle unless you want to hit 12-18 inches under your target. No getting around it.
No, the thread was NOT about arrow trajectory fool, it is about The new 500E! But, your the one who hijacked the thread.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Nobody claimed no drop to 50 yards.
The Ravin Employee said "drop is very minimal".
The thread title is "Use one reticle out to 50 yards", taken from the video, in which the Ravin Employee says "almost use one reticle out to 50 yards".
The point of this thread was to highlight the R500's speed and power with the stock 400gr arrow, which (IMO) is approaching a flat trajectory to 50 yards.
Get used to it as I'm sure, soon enough, crossbows will reach 600+ fps.

Registered
Nobody claimed no drop to 50 yards.
The Ravin Employee said "drop is very minimal".

How much less is 鈥渧ery minimal鈥 versus regular 鈥渕inimal鈥?

fullsizeoutput_ffd.jpeg

Registered
I'm thinking for my purposes as a whitetail hunter, if I get a double lung shot or even better, double lung plus heart shot, I won't care whether I hit the left or right ventricle of the heart or hit the top quadrant on one lung and lower quadrant on the other. Dead is dead so minimal difference is when the deer is still dead. Very simple concept...eight inches high or low is
still DEAD! I presume our friends at Ravin development understand this simple concept so, "minimal drop" means dead either way Of course all but novice/newbie hunters would have enough sense to know that if my POI is eight inches lower than my POA, then I will need to hold over eight inches.. Again for the new guys, eight inches is approximately the width of a man's hand two times or one hand held directly over the other. An adult with normal intelligence should be able to handle that, or he shouldn't be hunting in the first place.

21 - 40 of 93 Posts