Crossbow Nation banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Banned
KI Lethal 405
222 Posts
..and who knows what can happen out in the woods... Might need it for self-defense or the defense of someone innocent. I like knowing my weapon has some stopping power. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
No, the thread was NOT about arrow trajectory fool, it is about The new 500E! But, your the one who hijacked the thread.
Iowaguy, I don't know why you think you have the right to demean me. I do not accept it from anyone. Agree or disagree is your prerogative but stick to the subject matter and not personal attacks. You made it a point to give me all of your experience and Military Service and I complimented you on that. No one, no matter who they are or think they are, should personally attack another. Calling me a "fool" was out of line.
Discuss, agree, disagree. Personal attacks and politics does nothing positive.
I see no value in continuing with this conversation.

Reactions: robertyb

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Dang Archery36,
You need to come on the Ravin forum more often. You have enough of us pissed off right now that more of us will be buying the R500.
Just admit it, TenPoint is behind now and Ravin is becoming more like the old Mathews Logo "Catch Us if You Can".
But please don't take me too seriously. It's all in good fun. If there weren't for us fanboys, CBN would be a pretty boring place.
I have "enough" of you pissed off? I see maybe three or four guys posting on here. Is that all there is? Besides, I never once bashed Ravin. Didn't say the word once in any post. I was addressing the contention of one reticle which has nothing to do with a brand of crossbows but physics.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Iowaguy, I don't know why you think you have the right to demean me. I do not accept it from anyone. Agree or disagree is your prerogative but stick to the subject matter and not personal attacks. You made it a point to give me all of your experience and Military Service and I complimented you on that. No one, no matter who they are or think they are, should personally attack another. Calling me a "fool" was out of line.
When you get on here and indirectly attack others then I will get involved. If you look, I don't say anything unless someone starts some crap. With your first post, you implied the guy from Ravin was speaking falsehoods, when the guy who started this thread was simply excited about the prospects of yet another innovation in crossbows. I personally have no intentions of getting an E500. I don't need it. But when someone throws a wet blanket (directly or indirectly) on someone else's excitement, I will join in...count on it. Go back and read how condescending your post was to Dynamo 61. You lay off snide subtle put downs and we will have no beef. You will note his thread title was about how cool it is to have a crossbow that will shoot 500 FPS where you can "Use one reticle out to 50 yards." It WAS NOT about ballistic drop or whether the Ravin rep was putting out false information (which by the way he was not). It was about how cool the E500 is. So, as you say stay on topic. If you don't like Ravins then don't comment...simple. This is a Ravin site. I'm done with this.

·
Registered
659 Posts
When you get on here and indirectly attack others then I will get involved. If you look, I don't say anything unless someone starts some crap. With your first post, you implied the guy from Ravin was speaking falshoods, when the guy who started this thread was simply excited about the prospects of yet another inovation in crossbows. I personally have no intentions of getting an E500. I don't need it. But when someone throws a wet blanket (directly or indirectly) on someone else's excitment, I will join in...count on it. Go back and read how condescending your post was to

·
Premium Member
3,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
When you get on here and indirectly attack others then I will get involved. If you look, I don't say anything unless someone starts some crap. With your first post, you implied the guy from Ravin was speaking falsehoods, when the guy who started this thread was simply excited about the prospects of yet another innovation in crossbows. I personally have no intentions of getting an E500. I don't need it. But when someone throws a wet blanket (directly or indirectly) on someone else's excitement, I will join in...count on it. Go back and read how condescending your post was to Dynamo 61. You lay off snide subtle put downs and we will have no beef. You will note his thread title was about how cool it is to have a crossbow that will shoot 500 FPS where you can "Use one reticle out to 50 yards." It WAS NOT about ballistic drop or whether the Ravin rep was putting out false information (which by the way he was not). It was about how cool the E500 is. So, as you say stay on topic. If you don't like Ravins then don't comment...simple. This is a Ravin site. I'm done with this.
Thanks Iowaguy, appreciate it but it is OK.
I am getting used to it on this forum and do not have the time nor energy to deal with negative people here any longer.
Seems all some want to do is cause friction if a post does not meet their criteria for worthwhile information.
Check these comments on another Ravin thread recently, one of countless similar ones by many:

·
Registered
144 Posts
True, but I never said 20 yd zero. Add the additional 2.75" to the 7.5 and you have 10.25" if the table you are using is accurate. Who's to say whether yours is better than mine? That's still a far cry from "one reticle out to 50 yds". Would you like to hit your target 7.5" to 10.25" low? How are we even arguing the point here. It's not even what the exact numbers are that's important. The statement is absurd.
He clearly said “ALMOST” use one reticle from 20-50. It wasn’t a definitive “when zeroed at 20” statement. As with ballistic charts on manufactured ammo, I can see where if you had it set at 3-4” high at 20, you might could could use the same reticle to 50. I used a single 20yrd pin with a vertical bow for years, learned hold over.....

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Folks should keep in mind. Actual drop can be misleading. You can have drop. You can have drop past line of sight. Two different animals. I couldn’t care less about drop, but am concerned about drop (below) past line of sight.
Some charts on internet show drop. Be careful as this info not the tell all as it relates to actual bolt path poi wise as it relates to your sight system.
Go look at how much an actual say 300 win mag cartridge physically drops. More than some might think.
Remember the sight (scope) is not running parallel. To arrow flight just like a scope on a rifle doesn’t run parallel to a bullet path.
Tilt, tilt tilt. Is used to offset some what the actual drop.
And the sight height above crossbow rail or rifle barrel center affects the drop below line of sight.
Using a higher sight height on a bow or rifle can make a rifle or bow to shoot flatter “in one’s mind. But doing this shorter range poi is drastically lower.

Myself I was straight A math whiz. Never had to study ever. Just came natural.

My concern with the 500 model is cable and string longevity.
I still say R10 Is best of all worlds.

Will the 500 model do any thing for me on whitetails at 50 or less yards an R10 or R29 won’t do? I don’t think so.
Digging more bolts deeper out of the ground and ruining more boots is what I would get from using then 500 model.
I shot through a sizeable buck longways using Ravin bolt and hypo rage with R29 at 40 yards.

Take a crossbow scope that can be adjusted to at least 450 FPS.
You can see your drop if you will get A piece of poster board and grid in with 1” space do lines. And hold your different range marks on a point you choose and look where the bolt will strike.
Or even better shoot your 40 yard zero range mark at 50 yards and see how low you hit. This will be more a accurate than any ballistic program.
Cheers.

·
Registered
Tenpoint Siege, Ripper 415, Vortex,
369 Posts
Well fellas all I know is I shoot a new tenpoint siege, one of the first issued with the Havoc limbs. Love this crossbow. If I’d a bought the new ravin I’d love it too. Doesn’t bother me to use a different pin for every 10 yds. Did that for years with my Mathews bow. So it’ll be no different using a scope. All the top manufacturers use selling techniques to attract buyers. I just happened to choose tenpoint because they’ve been around a block or two and they are made on American ground. All we hunters want is a good reliable crossbow. Hell I own a KI Ripper 415 also that is not American made. Shoots real good but it doesn’t fit me. Too long, it’s louder, and heavy. But it’s a $350 bow. As soon as I held the siege I was instantly impressed. Even more impressed how it shoots. Both tenpoint and ravin make top notch bows.

·
Banned
KI Lethal 405
222 Posts
I was out zeroing my KI Lethal 405, and after dialing in at 20, I was hitting the same height at 30 yards with no drop. Shooting the CE Carbon Crossbolt 2.0 and CE Piledrivers.

The 2.0s were more accurate and seemed to hit a lot harder than the Piledrivers.

I tried them at 40, and again I found myself aiming with the 20yd reticle and experiencing minimal drop.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I don't shoot a Ravin but I see no issue with being able to use one reticle out to 50 yards with the 500E if one is able to adjust to the drop accordingly and has practiced doing it. I did some testing on my Swat XP last hunting season using my HHA optimizer. I figured if I had a deer come in and wasn't able to range and adjust my dial I wanted to know where I was hitting to 40 yards. I set the dial to 30 and shot at 20 and 40 yards. Was less than 2 inches high at 20 and less than 3 inches low at 40. All within the kill zone of a deer so I left it set at 30 and a hunting I went. Worked out well as I got 2 doe within the 20 to 40 yard range. Now the 60 yard shot I took my 3rd doe with I had to do some adjusting. 😉 It is nice to know what your bow will do if the time comes when you don't have time...

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I don't shoot a Ravin but I see no issue with being able to use one reticle out to 50 yards with the 500E if one is able to adjust to the drop accordingly and has practiced doing it. I did some testing on my Swat XP last hunting season using my HHA optimizer. I figured if I had a deer come in and wasn't able to range and adjust my dial I wanted to know where I was hitting to 40 yards. I set the dial to 30 and shot at 20 and 40 yards. Was less than 2 inches high at 20 and less than 3 inches low at 40. All within the kill zone of a deer so I left it set at 30 and a hunting I went. Worked out well as I got 2 doe within the 20 to 40 yard range. Now the 60 yard shot I took my 3rd doe with I had to do some adjusting. 😉 It is nice to know what your bow will do if the time comes when you don't have time...
Correct. But that would apply to any bow.

·
Banned
KI Lethal 405
222 Posts
Yep. I wasn't hitting pinpoint accurate, but definitely in the killbox.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts