Crossbow Nation banner

"Use one reticle out to 50 yards"

17K views 92 replies 22 participants last post by  Riflenut 
#1 ·
That is what high speed is all about; laser-like shots, one reticle out to 50 yards.
Gravity? What is that?
:)
The 5:05 mark in the video is where they start talking about 500fps and one reticle to 50 yards.
The video is cued to start at 4:45.

#3 ·
Well here we go again with shoots like a rifle? "Use one reticle out to 50 yds"? My ballistics calculator says a 400 gr arrows travelling 500 fps has a 18" drop at 50 yds. Even if you zero at 25 yds, you still have about a 14" drop at 50. The 222 ft lbs of KE (at zero yds) is correct so my arrow weight/fps combo estimate must be close.
Give me a break.

#6 ·
Well here we go again with shoots like a rifle? "Use one reticle out to 50 yds"? My ballistics calculator says a 400 gr arrows travelling 500 fps has a 18" drop at 50 yds. Even if you zero at 25 yds, you still have about a 14" drop at 50. The 222 ft lbs of KE (at zero yds) is correct so my arrow weight/fps combo estimate must be close.
Give me a break.
If you're using an app, would you mind spilling the beans on the name? There's a lot of them out there...

#8 ·
simple stand a sheet of plywood on end @ 100 yrds put dot on it and send arrow note were it hits..i think youd throw the bow in the trash can and grab a 300 Weatherby..my buddy shot one elk with a vertical bow @ 123 yrds with a pendulum sight shot # 5 hit the elk and killed it..i think i will stick with it archery and keep it close..the guy that shot elk @ 123yrds i won't hunt with as hes a dbag he got lucky

#11 ·
Man, Archer36 sure knows how to depress us Ravin guys with a reality check. It's been over 50 years since I've had any Physics training but as I recall, I did Ace it in both high school and engineering school.
I'm sure I could dig up the formula for velocity change and the affects that gravity has on the object but I don't doubt this app. at all.

Nevertheless, I do think Ravin deserves some serious credit for the engineering that went into the R500 and R500E.
First, everyone thought 500 fps could not be achieve with a conventional limbed crossbow and RDT would have to be the way to go. Well Ravin blew that theory out the window.
Second, someone was bound to figure out that a battery powered cocking mechanism could have some serious merit for those who were physically handicapped to the point where they couldn't cock such a fast crossbow.
Well guess who figured it out first.
Third, Ravin not only proved that you didn't need an excessively long power stroke with a conventional limbed crossbow to reach 500 fps, but they also designed it in a 28" enclosed frame and still didn't exceed 8 pounds in weight.
Fourth, they figured out how to make the battery pack detachable and just needed a small 12 volt Lion pack to pull it off.
Fifth, they incorporated a dual screw drive that offers several unique features such as good cocking speed and retentive motion control in both directions.

I'd say they hit the ball out of the park once again and other will have to follow or go home.

#12 · (Edited)
Man, Archer36 sure knows how to depress us Ravin guys with a reality check. It's been over 50 years since I've had any Physics training but as I recall, I did Ace it in both high school and engineering school.
I'm sure I could dig up the formula for velocity change and the affects that gravity has on the object but I don't doubt this app. at all.

Nevertheless, I do think Ravin deserves some serious credit for the engineering that went into the R500 and R500E.
First, everyone thought 500 fps could not be achieve with a conventional limbed crossbow and RDT would have to be the way to go. Well Ravin blew that theory out the window.
Second, someone was bound to figure out that a battery powered cocking mechanism could have some serious merit for those who were physically handicapped to the point where they couldn't cock such a fast crossbow.
Well guess who figured it out first.
Third, Ravin not only proved that you didn't need an excessively long power stroke with a conventional limbed crossbow to reach 500 fps, but they also designed it in a 28" enclosed frame and still didn't exceed 8 pounds in weight.
Fourth, they figured out how to make the battery pack detachable and just needed a small 12 volt Lion pack to pull it off.
Fifth, they incorporated a dual screw drive that offers several unique features such as good cocking speed and retentive motion control in both directions.

I'd say they hit the ball out of the park once again and other will have to follow or go home.
It's not my intention to "depress" anyone. Just stating facts. You cannot have POI from zero to 50 yds with any crossbow. People need to analyze what's being said. A 500 fps bow is only 10% faster than some other bows. That's not enough to wipe away arrow drop. It's sounds impressive but doesn't amount to a big difference. As a side note, who in their right mind wants a 400 gr arrow any way? Just for chits and giggles I guess when you look at the chronograph. 😲

#16 ·
1hunter,
As usual, I have to agree with you
It would really be interesting to see sales numbers. If I had to guess, I'd say Barnett is still probably number 1 in sales volume because of cost and volume distribution.
But No. 2 might surprise with the addition of CenterPoint to the Ravin family.
I don't know - TenPoint and the Wicked Ridge family probably hold the No. 2 spot but I bet Ravin/CenterPoint is knocking on their door.
Then there's the rest.

One thing is for sure for me. I have to buy electronics like my phone and TV from overseas but I'll be dang if I buy a crossbow made overseas unless it gets to the point that they all are made out elsewhere.

#33 ·
Dang Archery36,
You need to come on the Ravin forum more often. You have enough of us pissed off right now that more of us will be buying the R500.
Just admit it, TenPoint is behind now and Ravin is becoming more like the old Mathews Logo "Catch Us if You Can".
But please don't take me too seriously. It's all in good fun. If there weren't for us fanboys, CBN would be a pretty boring place.

#44 ·
Dang Archery36,
You need to come on the Ravin forum more often. You have enough of us pissed off right now that more of us will be buying the R500.
Just admit it, TenPoint is behind now and Ravin is becoming more like the old Mathews Logo "Catch Us if You Can".
But please don't take me too seriously. It's all in good fun. If there weren't for us fanboys, CBN would be a pretty boring place.
I have "enough" of you pissed off? I see maybe three or four guys posting on here. Is that all there is? Besides, I never once bashed Ravin. Didn't say the word once in any post. I was addressing the contention of one reticle which has nothing to do with a brand of crossbows but physics.

#39 ·
I'm thinking for my purposes as a whitetail hunter, if I get a double lung shot or even better, double lung plus heart shot, I won't care whether I hit the left or right ventricle of the heart or hit the top quadrant on one lung and lower quadrant on the other. Dead is dead so minimal difference is when the deer is still dead. Very simple concept...eight inches high or low is
still DEAD! I presume our friends at Ravin development understand this simple concept so, "minimal drop" means dead either way Of course all but novice/newbie hunters would have enough sense to know that if my POI is eight inches lower than my POA, then I will need to hold over eight inches.. Again for the new guys, eight inches is approximately the width of a man's hand two times or one hand held directly over the other. An adult with normal intelligence should be able to handle that, or he shouldn't be hunting in the first place.

#51 · (Edited)
Folks should keep in mind. Actual drop can be misleading. You can have drop. You can have drop past line of sight. Two different animals. I couldn’t care less about drop, but am concerned about drop (below) past line of sight.
Some charts on internet show drop. Be careful as this info not the tell all as it relates to actual bolt path poi wise as it relates to your sight system.
Go look at how much an actual say 300 win mag cartridge physically drops. More than some might think.
Remember the sight (scope) is not running parallel. To arrow flight just like a scope on a rifle doesn’t run parallel to a bullet path.
Tilt, tilt tilt. Is used to offset some what the actual drop.
And the sight height above crossbow rail or rifle barrel center affects the drop below line of sight.
Using a higher sight height on a bow or rifle can make a rifle or bow to shoot flatter “in one’s mind. But doing this shorter range poi is drastically lower.

Myself I was straight A math whiz. Never had to study ever. Just came natural.

My concern with the 500 model is cable and string longevity.
I still say R10 Is best of all worlds.

Will the 500 model do any thing for me on whitetails at 50 or less yards an R10 or R29 won’t do? I don’t think so.
Digging more bolts deeper out of the ground and ruining more boots is what I would get from using then 500 model.
I shot through a sizeable buck longways using Ravin bolt and hypo rage with R29 at 40 yards.

Take a crossbow scope that can be adjusted to at least 450 FPS.
You can see your drop if you will get A piece of poster board and grid in with 1” space do lines. And hold your different range marks on a point you choose and look where the bolt will strike.
Or even better shoot your 40 yard zero range mark at 50 yards and see how low you hit. This will be more a accurate than any ballistic program.
Cheers.

#55 ·
Well fellas all I know is I shoot a new tenpoint siege, one of the first issued with the Havoc limbs. Love this crossbow. If I’d a bought the new ravin I’d love it too. Doesn’t bother me to use a different pin for every 10 yds. Did that for years with my Mathews bow. So it’ll be no different using a scope. All the top manufacturers use selling techniques to attract buyers. I just happened to choose tenpoint because they’ve been around a block or two and they are made on American ground. All we hunters want is a good reliable crossbow. Hell I own a KI Ripper 415 also that is not American made. Shoots real good but it doesn’t fit me. Too long, it’s louder, and heavy. But it’s a $350 bow. As soon as I held the siege I was instantly impressed. Even more impressed how it shoots. Both tenpoint and ravin make top notch bows.

#56 ·
I was out zeroing my KI Lethal 405, and after dialing in at 20, I was hitting the same height at 30 yards with no drop. Shooting the CE Carbon Crossbolt 2.0 and CE Piledrivers.

The 2.0s were more accurate and seemed to hit a lot harder than the Piledrivers.

I tried them at 40, and again I found myself aiming with the 20yd reticle and experiencing minimal drop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.