Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning Everyone,
I recently purchased a CenterPoint CP400. Unfortunately, while attempting to use the decocking device, there was a malfunction which resulted in an accidental dry fire. The string broke and one of the limbs completely separated from the riser. I took it to the shop for repair and I'm still waiting to hear back. While talking another crossbow hunter, he expressed concerns that if the limb has any cracks that the repair shop may miss it could break apart when I use it. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I even use it again or should I just take the loss and get a different bow? PS: I know now not to trust a decocking device.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
I am assuming that this is a warranty repair at the shop and an authorized repair location? If it's a reputable shop, they should not only make the necessary repairs but also test shoot and inspect after the repairs. You can also look over the limbs very carefully for any cracks, (try using a cotton ball when uncocked and cocked by lightly rubbing the limbs and looking for a snag). Check your cams and axles before, during, and after each use. This should be done whenever you use your crossbow even without any problems occurring, (just a safety point to practice). I personally wouldn't worry to much about it after the repair is made but continue to keep an eye on the crossbow for any future indication. I would think they will replace both sets of limbs, but I could be wrong. I think you would be just fine as though the bow were new when you get it back. You might also PM Jack Pine, a member on here, that has had a CP400 or TX_RDXguy who does a lot of work on triggers of Center Point. Also you can post questions on the manufacturer section of Center Point and get lots of assistance on questions pertaining to your particular model. These members are good people and should give you some personal experience and good information on your situation. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
As a rule both sets of limbs will be replaced: 1)the other side may have been damaged even though it may not show.
2)if only replacing the one side, there could be a different limb deflection (similar to a weaker limb) and then the crossbow
will not shoot true. A check on this when you get the crossbow back is to cock it and measure from each axle to the nearest
side of the rail-stock. These should be very close to being equal. If not, the stronger limb will pull the weaker one closer to
the rail-stock. Axle to axle measurements in the uncocked and cocked position will remain as they originally were.

A stronger limb will shoot the arrow toward the weaker side which shows up at the aiming point on the target. Example: a weak
left limb will result in the arrow going left of the aiming point. A small correction can be made by adjusting the windage of the scope.
A weak limb will gradually keep getting worse.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As a rule both sets of limbs will be replaced: 1)the other side may have been damaged even though it may not show.
2)if only replacing the one side, there could be a different limb deflection (similar to a weaker limb) and then the crossbow
will not shoot true. A check on this when you get the crossbow back is to cock it and measure from each axle to the nearest
side of the rail-stock. These should be very close to being equal. If not, the stronger limb will pull the weaker one closer to
the rail-stock. Axle to axle measurements in the uncocked and cocked position will remain as they originally were.

A stronger limb will shoot the arrow toward the weaker side which shows up at the aiming point on the target. Example: a weak
left limb will result in the arrow going left of the aiming point. A small correction can be made by adjusting the windage of the scope.
A weak limb will gradually keep getting worse.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.
I am assuming that this is a warranty repair at the shop and an authorized repair location? If it's a reputable shop, they should not only make the necessary repairs but also test shoot and inspect after the repairs. You can also look over the limbs very carefully for any cracks, (try using a cotton ball when uncocked and cocked by lightly rubbing the limbs and looking for a snag). Check your cams and axles before, during, and after each use. This should be done whenever you use your crossbow even without any problems occurring, (just a safety point to practice). I personally wouldn't worry to much about it after the repair is made but continue to keep an eye on the crossbow for any future indication. I would think they will replace both sets of limbs, but I could be wrong. I think you would be just fine as though the bow were new when you get it back. You might also PM Jack Pine, a member on here, that has had a CP400 or TX_RDXguy who does a lot of work on triggers of Center Point. Also you can post questions on the manufacturer section of Center Point and get lots of assistance on questions pertaining to your particular model. These members are good people and should give you some personal experience and good information on your situation. Good luck and enjoy.
Thank you for the advice and recommendations. It is a warranty repair by an official repair center for CenterPoint. I really like the bow overall, just want to be safe.

·
Crossbow Nut
4,152 Posts
Thank you for the advice and recommendations. It is a warranty repair by an official repair center for CenterPoint. I really like the bow overall, just want to be safe.
You attempted to decock your bow?Have they said your bow will be repaired under warranty and at no charge? Just wondering because last I knew, that bow is not designed to be "decocked" by any method or device other than shooting into a target. You could be pooched.
When Ravin/repairs a front end, they REPLACE and TEST all components before clearing the repair ticket.
I hope they repair your bow but if you damaged it doing an unapproved procedure, they certainly aren't obligated to.
This is from the CP400 manual:
"WARNING: DO NOT USE YOUR HAND OR THE ROPE COCKING SLED TO UNCOCK THE CROSSBOW AS IT MAY CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY TO THE USER OR DAMAGE TO THE CROSSBOW."
If they repair your bow at no charge, it will only be because they are a top shelf company, or for the sake of customer goodwill IMO.
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You attempted to decock your bow?Have they said your bow will be repaired under warranty and at no charge? Just wondering because last I knew, that bow is not designed to be "decocked" by any method or device other than shooting into a target. You could be pooched.
When Ravin/repairs a front end, they REPLACE and TEST all components before clearing the repair ticket.
I hope they repair your bow but if you damaged it doing an unapproved procedure, they certainly aren't obligated to.
This is from the CP400 manual:
"WARNING: DO NOT USE YOUR HAND OR THE ROPE COCKING SLED TO UNCOCK THE CROSSBOW AS IT MAY CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY TO THE USER OR DAMAGE TO THE CROSSBOW."
If they repair your bow at no charge, it will only be because they are a top shelf company, or for the sake of customer goodwill IMO.
Good luck and keep us posted.
This xbow has a cocking/decocking device that came with the bow. It is designed to be decocked with this device if you choose to. I was not using a cocking rope or my hand. It was an approved device, however, relying on a mechanical device, in this case, turned out less than favorable.

·
Registered
14,863 Posts
It should be repaired RIGHT being as it is a CenterPoint crossbow (great CS). I'd ask if both limbs were replaced. I would also ask if it has been shot to make sure all is good.

Reactions: ems220
1 - 10 of 10 Posts