Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive owned this bow since April I believe but hadnt shot it until this week. So far Im not that impressed.

Shooting to sight in the bow I was using the center punch arrows with 100 gr points 450gr. The tenpoint speed forthis combo is stated as 440fps. I set the speed per directions and started to sight in. The scope is blurry at 20yds due to too much power that close. Reticle crisp but target not in focus. Next I went to 40yds, scope clear but in order to get arrow on target the speed dial had to be lowered to 420fps. I didnt chrono the bow but based on experience this bow isnt shooting 440fps as advertised. The bow is in spec. As I verified all factory measurements. I will chrony the bow but Im not impressed with the performance.

Another potential issue is the string. With the limited amount os shooting so far it appears Ill need a string in short order. The nock is putting a deep groove in the serving. I serviced my string prior to shooting the first arrow. Its not due to lack of care. Ill be ordering a new string just in case.

My initial thoughts is this bow is nothing special for a $3k bow. The accuracy is great but not more so than many less expensive bows. The cocking devise works great so that is a plus.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
You might be able to tune out the blurry target using the eye piece adjustment if it has one.

It is possible that your just not sighted in correctly. Im not sure of the ten point scopes. If the 20 yrd crosshair is above the center I believe you have to sight in using your center crosshair at whatever yrdage it's calibrated for than adjust speed dial accordingly.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
On these new fast arrow flingers I have yet to hear of one that doesn't have factory string serving trouble. It seems par for the coarse.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Buckstop I probably had roughly 500 shots on mine before I replaced the string. The serving was starting to bugger up and just did a replacement versus a reserve. The string angle is extreme on the Vapor. The Evo X scope does have a low eye relief and that gives me fits when I don't get my cheek weld perfect. I have considered going to a single reticle with a 30 or 35 yard zero and let it rip. I'm getting 435 through a chrono. I'm sure I could tweak the extra speed out of mine but the cams are synced perfectly and that's good enough. I have heard of others complaining about speed. I really try to stay away from a chrono for that reason alone. The bow is a shooter!

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The scopes diopter is adjusted as good as it gets. When the reticle is clear the target at 20yds is slightly blurred. However at 40yds everything is clear. The scope is at roughly 6x when first set. With this scope the 20yd mark is top. Per instruction sight in at 20 then go to 40 to set speed dial. The bow is accurate, just not sure where the crazy price comes in.

The serving issue isnt like some bows this is 100% caused by the alpha nock. The arrow actually feels loose when against the string.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The scopes diopter is adjusted as good as it gets. When the reticle is clear the target at 20yds is slightly blurred. However at 40yds everything is clear. The scope is at roughly 6x when first set. With this scope the 20yd mark is top. Per instruction sight in at 20 then go to 40 to set speed dial. The bow is accurate, just not sure where the crazy price comes in.

The serving issue isnt like some bows this is 100% caused by the alpha nock. The arrow actually feels loose when against the string.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Are you using the Aluminum nocks? I just received my Vapor 470. I've been seeing a lot of serving issues and/or strings blowing up

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Your getting 420 fps because your using a heavier arrow than what they use to rate the bow at. They use a 375 gr arrow to get the 440 fps so, your not doing bad in that department. But, these strings and their center servings are a common issue. I think they use a double served center for those strings and it's a very thin serving thread. It's going to wear fast.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I have a Vapor on order and expect it to be what it's advertised to be regarding speed and accuracy. I currently have the XRT, prior to that the X, Storm and Vortec and each of those bows were what they were advertised to be.

The Marksman optic is now in year two and I've shot it without any issue of focus or clarity at 10 yards and out. I just checked mine at 1.5 to 6 magnification at 10 yards and out and the clarity is excellent. I suspect you have an issue with yours if the ocular adjustment doesn't allow perfect clarity at any speed setting. I'd call TP on that.

Alpha nocked arrows from your bow should allow the center serving to last well beyond 500 shots and TP says 1000. I see 500 plus on my traditional rail bow and most of the wear (which is minimal) is at the point the ACUdraw sled attaches not where the nock sets.

Yes, it's a $2,500 bow which is top dollar and with all the accessories it's sold as a $3,000 package. That puts it at the high end of any competitors bow that performs close to the Vapor.

Speed in the 400s with heavy arrows, excellent accuracy, safe cocking and decocking, the best factory optic I've seen including anything Hawk makes, decent trigger and long serving life all make it worth it to me. I'm expecting to be impressed.... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Your getting 420 fps because your using a heavier arrow than what they use to rate the bow at. They use a 375 gr arrow to get the 440 fps so, your not doing bad in that department. But, these strings and their center servings are a common issue. I think they use a double served center for those strings and it's a very thin serving thread. It's going to wear fast.
No, they are using the 445 grain arrow to get 440fps.
I have chrono'd 435 to 444 fps with the 445 grain EVO-X CenterPunch arrows.
They use the 370 grain to get 470fps, see here in the Specs Tab:

Speed/KE: Pro Light Carbon Arrow (370-grains)470 FPS / 182 FP KE
Speed/KE: Pro Elite 400 Carbon Arrow (400-grains)460 FPS / 188 FP KE
Speed/KE: EVO-X CenterPunch Carbon Arrow (445-grains)440 FPS / 191 FP KE

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Marty you havent gotten any better. Now the facts, the 470fps was with the 375gr arrow the 440fps was with the center punch arrow. Look at the specs. You are one reason im on here much less than I used to be.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you using the Aluminum nocks? I just received my Vapor 470. I've been seeing a lot of serving issues and/or strings blowing up
Im using the nocks tenpoint supplied. I hadnt read about any issues with the plastic alpha nocks. Please explain the difference they arent breaking or splitting shafts.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Reactions: RMAX1000Addicts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, they are silver, look and feel like plastic to me. The other supplied set has the green lighted nocks
I did a quick search and it seems to me that Tenpoint only offers plastic or aluminum nocks. The silver ones must be aluminum and compared to the plastic lighted nock they feel the same. So not much extra weight between them and the light stick would only be a couple more grains when inserted.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Im using the nocks tenpoint supplied. I hadnt read about any issues with the plastic alpha nocks. Please explain the difference they arent breaking or splitting shafts.
Duke knows how to break them. I'm pretty sure he said he just loaded the xbow and, shot it and, this happened.
alpha nock.jpg
alpha nock2.jpg

1 - 20 of 87 Posts