Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ordered a CE varmint interceptor crossbow.
My criteria were a compact size, lower weight, sufficient energy (speed), and quality.
Since there is no legal crossbow hunting here and thus no real dealer network, I did check all online reviews I came across.
Up to now, the bow did not disappoint. Assembly was quite easy, quality is solid and without visible flaws, the scope came already installed, and already roughly sighted in. The package even contained two extras, a CE cocking winch (sold separatedly for about 50€ here), and a wired remote control for the lamp and the laser mounted to the scope.
Up to now, I only did about 20 shots at 6 to 7 yards in my garage. A proper sighting in is next on the list.
Only negative thing: the rubber on the bolt retention spring already started to peel off.
And, as I found out, sourcing 16" bolts of proper weight (380gn) and quality is not easy here.

Concerning the manufacturer, I'm a bit confused. CE is a Korean company, some sources state the crossbows are manufactured there. Other sources say it comes from one of the well-known contract manufacturers (ManKung or PoeLang). Anyone having a definite answer ?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Almost forgot my most important question.
I had an issue with mounting the cable slide. It is supposed to run below the stock, so much is clear.
However, it has two parallel grooves for the cables, but the cables do actually cross at that point.
When guiding the cables through this grooves, the crossing point is shifted off-center either to the left or the right side, and the cables will surely chafe on the slide.

Am I don't get it, or is the cable slide not correct ?
I can post an image when I get back home.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Disassembled the bow to have a closer at the cable slide again.
The image shows the slide piece with two grooves, and the bow - with the cable crossing in the middle - next to it.

BowCableslide.JPG

I turned it around and took a closer look, and ...
... gotcha !

CableslideLogo.JPG

This does not look like the Carbon Express logo, does it ?
Hmmmm, what might "PL" mean ... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just continue to babble ...
Tried to sight it in at 20+ yds today, which turned out to be a disaster.
The bow shot already way too high at 5..6 yds in the garage, and sure that aggravated at larger distances.
The first shot at 20yds went way over the target, even the second at about 10yds - with the scope adjustment already maxed out.
I was able to find one of the bolts, the other was lost in the grass.
Went back to read the manual (might have done first ...), and surely, the tilt of the scope mount is adjustable. Just need to unscrew two 3/32" countersunk allen bolts, and adjust another bolt. Which was easier said then done. One of them was so tight, I basically destroyed two allen keys. The first key was the one supplied with the crossbow - it's not that I have only crappy tools.
The recess for the hex is a bit messed up now. Not sure if I should try to cut a slot with a dremel, or give up and rather shim scope.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Currently still trying with shimming, but not much time for shooting.
Another noteworthy fact about that xbow - all the screws of the scope are metric (3mm hex heads).
The screws at the bow are not (imperial /inch-based measure). How I like that, carrying two tool sets around for one device ...:(

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After adding a second shimming layer under the scope body, I finally got somewhere.
Bolts at 10yds are now spot on - which is a bit too low, should be about half of the parallax (about 1,5") assuming 20yds as the first set distance. But that could be corrected with the scope's vertical adjustment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts