Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed arrow speed exactly to dial in my Sig BDX scope. Took it to Town Hall Archery in Belleville, IL (great folks, by the way) and chrono'ed at 410 fps with the included carbon arrows. Just one data point of course.

They are Tenpoint dealers and reminded me that the 440 rating is with a lighter arrow. 410 oughta do in a pinch!

While I was there, I finished my sight in on their indoor range- bow sounds louder than a 22 rifle indoors! Didn't make my ears ring or anything but the first shot startled me more than a little. I have shot it a dozen or so times outside and was not prepared for the Thwack coming off the walls indoors.

·
Registered
377 Posts
So in essence you were using the bolts that came with and are recommended for your XB by Tenpoint? If that is the case, I'm not sure I would go much lighter, especially if the bow is shooting accurately and smoothly. Going lighter may have a negative affect on your accuracy and may be more noisy as well. That being said, I'd contact TP or ask Randy on this forum, just how light you could go without it being a safety safety issue. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
10,304 Posts
He should be able to go as light as the arrow used to rate the bow's speed without any problems or else they should not be rating the bow using that weight arrow. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
377 Posts
He should be able to go as light as the arrow used to rate the bow's speed without any problems or else they should not be rating the bow using that weight arrow. :rolleyes:
Agreed...but I thought that's what they recommend/ship with? Thus I thought he was thinking about going to go lighter than that. If they use a different arrow to rate the top speed than the one they "recommend" and ship with the package, I stand corrected.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I tested my vengent at our local bow shop it chronographed at 418 with 445 gr arrows shipped with the bow, but it depends on how the chrono is set up. The heavy arrows give better long range accuracy and thats why ten point ships them but you can use the lighter ones the only draw back is maybe a little loss of accuracy. Check it out I'd like to know if I can use the lighter arrows.

·
TenPoint Representative
1,860 Posts
Guys,
you can go down to the 370 mark with the Pro Lites, but personally, I would take the heavier arrows that are more accurate, fly better with a broad heard, are less effected by the wind, carry better kinetic energy, are quieter and easier on the bow. If you want to give that up for a couple FPS, go for it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Guys,
you can go down to the 370 mark with the Pro Lites, but personally, I would take the heavier arrows that are more accurate, fly better with a broad heard, are less effected by the wind, carry better kinetic energy, are quieter and easier on the bow. If you want to give that up for a couple FPS, go for it.
I think you guys at ten point are correct on the best arrow weight for your xbows. I've been shooting mine all this past 2 weeks and the heavy 445 gr arrows just shoot better. Best for hunting and target shooting.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think 410 with the "heavier" arrows is best- most retained energy at the target. If I were hunting prairie dogs at long range I might see things differently but for Missouri deer, that is more than enough, and the energy will make up for a slight variance from intended POI to actual impact. I put my son in his stand with a 30-06 to account for the fact that Buck Fever affects accuracy and at my age, I am embarrassed to say I am likely no better!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts