1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Looks fantastic!

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
As I am finishing my Ham Sub for lunch...
Fedex some over, Archer36, looks delicious!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
It don't just look good, that even smell's good from here,,, Enjoy, and don't forget to share,,, 😉 (y)

Reactions: archer36

·
Registered
13,224 Posts
Looks good!;)

Reactions: archer36

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think you have a great thing there, but how did you cure it? Wet or dry? I watched his video on line and he showed a wet cure, BUT he did not state anything about curing time and made it look like you could head right to the smoker. His injections would need to be done on a whole leg like he had. Yours does not look cured in the center, did you inject it like he did?

I like to dry cure and I do all three muscle groups from the leg separately and The football gives me the most trouble. I have to turn the fridge up to 40 and increase the cure time in days. I think I cured for 10 days for the flat rounds and the football 2 more days. Sometimes it is hard getting the cure inside all the way.

I am not trying to be critical, but rather as a learning experiment. I plan to make more ham probably if I have enough deer. I am going to be making a lot of jerky for the smokehouse this year and if I get enough ham also and will continue trying to full cure a football roast all the way through. Here is mine and you can see the cure did not go always through, but I had the fridge very cold. It still eats fine, it just is not fully cured. I have cured deer and goose and goose is even better cured than deer.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I only wet cured/brined mine for 4 days. It was recommended 5 days. I will inject brine into the meat in the future to ensure full penetration. Actually, what you see on my ham is the smoke penetration, The outside ring is very dark and it gets lighter as you go toward the center. I will make sure I brine at least 5 days, inject, and add smoke longer throughout the process. It was my first. Lessons learned.
I agree with your approach of separating the muscles if it was off of a "big" deer. Mine was off of a Doe of about 80 lbs. I tied it up and it stayed together pretty well as I sliced away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts