Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are looking for something different or have family members who aren't normally fans of venison this is a great option! It takes a while and some effort, but the results are amazing! The brining container was purchased at a chain pet store for dog food storage. Works great for 2 gallons of brine and 13 pounds of venison.
Food Tableware Ingredient Dishware Recipe

Food Ingredient Tableware Recipe Beef

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How are those "kits" from the sausage maker? Are they salty? I get a lot of their stuff for sausage but, never tried any of the completed kits.
Considering pastrami is a brined, cured product it is really well balanced. I tend to look for lower sodium options if available and use a reduced sodium bratwurst and jerky seasonings I've found so I understand where you are coming from. I thoroughly rinsed the pieces in cold water and dried them on a towel. This kit doesn't come with the rub, but the spice mix they recommend in the instructions doesn't include salt. I am not a fan of the rub they suggest so I made one found online that includes garlic powder, onion powder and mustard seed. Much better flavor and again, no salt added.

I believe this is the only kit I use from TSM. Most of the kits I've used come from Con Yeagar Spice Company (awesome kits!) although I am usually mixing and matching products from different companies to my liking.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
That really looks good! I could PM you my address if you're looking to get ride of a pack of that,LOL.

Where did you buy the mix?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts