Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Threw this together today before I went to work as a surprise for the husband. ;) He approved, so I will post.

2 lbs stew venison cubed
Dust with spices: coarse kosher salt, black pepper, garlic, onion, sage, rosemary (very light), thyme, marjoram, 1 crumbled bay leaf, mustard seed, paprika
Toss in flour to coat
Brown in cast iron dutch oven in liberal amount of bacon grease
Stir in 1 diced onion, 2 sliced carrots, 1 lb coarsely chopped mushrooms (I used white mushrooms and some wild giant puffball mushroom. The puffball mushroom was sliced, coated in olive oil, baked in the oven, then stored in freezer for later use.)
Add 1/2 bag of frozen peas
Saute until crusty brown fond forms on bottom of the pan
Add 1 cup stock or water. Deglaze/scrape bottom of pan to blend into sauce
Add between 1 cup and 1/2 cup sour cream, 2 tbsp spicy brown mustard, 1 can of cream of mushroom low sodium soup. And then because the soup made it less tangy and I only had 1/2 cup of sour cream, I added:
2 tbsp of sour kraut and what was left of the kraut juice in the jar--about 2/3 cup. Technically, adding the kraut makes this a hybrid between a hunter's stew and stroganoff. But it raises the acidity and also lowers the calories, so I'll call it a happy accident. :cool:
Give it a stir, put a lid on it and bake in the oven for 2 hours at 300 degrees. It'll come out tender and thick and chunky and go great on egg noodles or crusty bread. I scored a bag of zucchini from Kroger for $1 and we had that sauteed with lemon pepper in olive oil on the side, making this an overall highly affordable meal. Oh, and it goes pretty good with beer.

·
Registered
13,755 Posts
Certainly has me sitting here drooling!o_O

Reactions: Lizzinator

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Sounds awesome! You had me at “Saute until crusty brown fond forms on bottom of the pan”!
My grandmother used to make a tomato gravy with the drippings from country ham stuck to the bottom of the pan.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds awesome! You had me at “Saute until crusty brown fond forms on bottom of the pan”!
My grandmother used to make a tomato gravy with the drippings from country ham stuck to the bottom of the pan.
Sounds good. Maybe you should post one of her recipes up for us?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I got a recipe for over done steak!!!! Mastered it again today!!! Had a dude over for dinner, aaaand got yap'n,,, imagine that...LOL! Left the Bambi butt chunks on the BBQ incinerator about 8 mins too dang loong again!!!!
I suck at multi task'n!!!! My friend was very polite and made no comment....

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Sounds good. Maybe you should post one of her recipes up for us?
My mother tried to duplicate it when she was living. She never could get it the same. I remember my grandmother making a red-eye gravy from the country ham. Then, she would add canned tomatoes from the garden and then add milk to thicken it. All I know is that it was so good, she could have put it on dirt clods and I would have ate it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Not really though. We tried something similar this week, was delicious.
Yeah, stew always looks terrible in pics. Sorry. But glad you made something tasty this week.

thomaskelly said:
"My mother tried to duplicate it when she was living. She never could get it the same. I remember my grandmother making a red-eye gravy from the country ham. Then, she would add canned tomatoes from the garden and then add milk to thicken it. All I know is that it was so good, she could have put it on dirt clods and I would have ate it!
Maybe it was the magic garden home canned tomatoes that was the secret ingredient?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts