Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as I've had the privelidge of meeting so many members on here I realized there were many people who also shoot or shot vertical bows. So, what vertical bows did you shoot or do you shoot? Did you shoot any competition or just hit the woods for pleasure? Any favorites to speak of?

Me? I have a dozen or so vertical bows right now maybe more. I shoot different bows for different reasons or effects. I have a Parker Buckshot that shoots really sweet I'll take to MN for bear if the crossbow bill doesn't pass, and I hope it does, and I have 3 Browning Barracuda bows I fish with since I prefer the 0 let off. When being a lefty, have to have spares.The rest are all different brands and models too. We received 3 of the different models of Hortons new line last week but I'm a lefty, and my hunting partner usually shoots a Black Diamond and a Horton Hunter at the same time. He carries an arsenal with him! And an ice chest. Guess he'll be trying the Hortons now.

·
665 Posts
I used to shoot mathews,martin,hoyt,parker,browning,pro-line,darton,pearson
CSS, and They all had there goods and bads

I think Mathews was the best shooting bow for me, but I like certain things about them all

I might shoot one again just for old time sakes (if my body will allow it)

·
310 Posts
GG,
Shot 1 year for CSS
Shot 2 years for PSE
Shot 5 years for Bowtech
Work and shoot for Horton. I shoot the Encore, System, and reCon.
I hunted and shot comp with them all. My theory is if you can tune it, you can shoot it.
My favorite is the one that wins the shoot, or puts the deer or hog on the ground.
Crossbows are spoiling me. Very little tuning.

Thanks,
Mark

·
11,406 Posts
Being an older fart :)

I shot state field (NFAA) archery competition from 1967 until 3D was born. I was too busy struggling to support my family (3 kids) to travel out of state. I've owned and shot:

Bear Tamerlanes
Groves Spitfires
Bear Super Kodiaks
Bear Magnums
Bear Super Magnums
Bear magnesium takedowns (still have 2 - 60 and 65 lb draw for sale)
Custom longbows from 64 to 81 lb draw weights
Owen Jeffery long bows
Black Widow recurves
Allen compounds
Olympus compounds
Astro compounds
High Country compounds
Astro Compounds with High Country "hatchet" cams
Hoyt compounds with High Country "hatchet" cams
Parker Extreme 31
early Mathews
recent Mathews
Bowtech Allegiance
several other Bowtechs that I don't remember the names (it's an old age thing):D

I made rope/spike triggers for sale in the 70's and still have the fixtures I used for drilling, etc. :)

Of all the things I've done over the years, watching an arrow fly is the most enjoyable thing I've ever done.........................standing up:D

·
190 Posts
I owened at one time 35 Wilson Bros Black Widow target recurves, Black Widow current recurves, Blacktail by Norm Johnson, Mathews, Hoyt, Ben Pearson, High Country, PSE etc. Best one I ever owned was the one I just sold to buy the Desert Stryker after doc gave me the long face about the neck. Simms Labs Deadzone 32. Its the best bow ever made in my mind its not pretty but it does what it was designed to be, quiet and zero vibration.

Favorite bow of all time was a prototype that I found on Ebay of a bow that Wilson Bros never made into a production hunting bow. I should have kept that one.

·
327 Posts
Stemmlar Sting
Bear Brown Bear Compound
Bear White Tail
2 Golden Eagles
2 Hoyt Pro Hunters
Bow Logic
and my most recent favorite is a Matthews LX, one of the nicest bows I've ever shot.

I also have a hand made Fedora compound bow; wood and fiberglass. THis is not the fastest bow but it is the most beautiful work of art and probably the bow I cherish the most. MIke Fedora is an artist and a fantastic bowyer, this is one bow that I'll always treasure. Each bow has a bunch of memories that go along with it and i can't seem to let myslef part with any of them; it'd be like selling my memories and I can't bring myself to do that.

My son is getting into heavily into archery and I'm hoping thes ebows can be passed down.

·
76 Posts
I use a Hoyt Ultra Mag for hunting/3D and a Darton 50 MXR that I use for bow fishing or at least I think thats the model, can't remember since I painted over the stickers many years ago. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
I currently shoot a Fred Bear Element, I know it is not a very expensive bow, but I love it and it is one of the smoothest bows I have ever shot.

·
342 Posts
I shoot the following:
ROSS Cardiac 60# Lefty, primary hunting
ROSS CR337 60# Lefty, target
Bear Instinct 65# Lefty, backup hunting
all leftys have HHA Single Pin sights, with Hindsights

Oneida Tomcat 78# Righty, use it for everything
Reflex Growler 70# Righty, just used...a little
No sights on rightys...Instinctive shooting only...

·
43 Posts
vertical bow

I have been shooting Martin for a few years, great bows, not the fastest though but dependable. Curently I'm shooting a Martin Cheeta, nice little bow:)

·
38 Posts
Been shooting longbows and recurves since I was old enough to pull the string back - 1950s. I've shot so many brands and styles it would take hours to list them. Shot a lot of compounds, too, but I prefer the simplicity of a "stick & string". When my shoulder decided I needed to quit shooting heavy hunting bows (bone spurs) I was lucky enough to live in a state where all I had to do was pick up a crossbow and continue hunting.
Today I still own a couple CheckMate bows (a falcon recurve and a thunderbird flatbow), but my shooting time is very limited until the pain returns. I own one compound, a PSE, and shoot it some. All my hunting is done with an Excalibur Phoenix. (still like the simplicity of a recurve)

·
Registered
112 Posts
All my archery experience has been in 3D for fun and hunting. Most recent bows have been:

Bowtech Guardian
Oneida Black Eagle II
Wes Wallace Mentor recurve
Three Rivers Tomahawk longbow
APA Black Mamba
Excalibur Phoenix & Exomag
Darton Stinger

I have since found two local clubs that allow crossbow at 3D shoots but just haven't made it out yet. That is my preference, no more vertical.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts