Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a very interesting vertical crossbow on Youtube. Can anybody explain all pros and cons for vertical crossbow vs horizontal one?

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Interesting...
Can you please share the link to the video to save us from searching for it?
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
I owned one. Vertical is easier to maneuver in a tree. It's not terribly fast. 325 fps but that's with a real light arrow. Uses regular arrows and nocks. Awkward to shoot lefty. Scope is a little offset so poi moves left to right a bit if you zero it. Alternatively, you can sight it in offset so you're always aiming a bit to left or right. Easy to change strings. No press needed. You can adjust weight of limbs. I found it wasn't terribly accurate...although probably better when you're purely offhand. Mixed bag. I ended out selling mine.

·
10,163 Posts
If … they were great, everybody would be shooting them. :)

Reactions: robertyb

·
10,163 Posts
If.....they have higher than natural curiosity.
To me … it retains the negatives of a vertical bow and omits some of the major advantages of a crossbow. It's all well and good if you're spot & stalk and standing up to shoot, but sitting in a blind or a treestand? A crossbow can rest on the shooting rail, Bog-Pod, or shooting bench and sit it there for 30 minutes waiting for that perfect shot. The In-Line Vertical? Arm extended holding the weight? Typical clearance issues of a vertical bow in a blind or treestand? Plus you have the offset optic and reintroduction of archer's parallax because there's no crossbow rail or barrel. All with the low limb weights and arrow speed limitations? The guy Jeff Goff is a great guy near as I could tell over the years, and the bow is pretty neat; but to me it's a fun, novelty bow.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
which obviously means there is no such thing as any great bow! As you said if any bow was great,,, everyone would own it!

Saying that it has a place in "archery" though is correct! I remember when I first went to a crossbow because of shoulder issues and couldn't shoot my beloved Hoyt's no more! I was so frustrated after so much success getting ready for season, that I almost sold that crossbow and bought the Hickory Creek attachment, which was also new at the time.

I lost shots at deer a couple times because of my lack of experience using vertical limbs over horizontal. pluss I had a much more difficult time holding horizontal limbs on target than ever holding vertical limbs on my target. Everything was backwards to the way I had hunted in the field for over 30 years. The limbs banged into things that I never had to worry about before, and were in the way in the tree stand when I used the tree to hide my silhouette they were interfered with. To me nothing is more compact or capable than any vertical bow in a tree stand,,,, and unlike a horizontal bow, a rest becomes less needed with a vertical bow. I can shoot quite well out to 50 yards offhand with a vertical bow,,, after over 10 years with a crossbow it still more challenging without a rest!

I can see how the learning curve would push some to this quite capable platform. It is a bow and just like using a crossbow or vertical bow, the challenge is still there,, getting close, and letting the air out quietly!

So just because everyone doesn't own one, it is still a very capable piece of archery equipment, it's just like every other bow and type,,, not for everyone! Only you can choose what you prefer to hunt with, but this is a very compact and capable shooting platform in my opinion!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree with Iron Duke - there are some negatives with vertical crossbow. But, as with any other type of crossbow, they are mainly of the matter of particular design rather than inherited birth defects. For the sake of discussion about holding weight by hand, I would suggest installing second horizontal (instead of vertical) handle on left (right) side and use it with regular shooting stick. As to limitations on power draw and speed, I would make several design changes to achieve power draw 300 lbs and muzzle speed up to 500 fps. Perfectly centered scope will fit in such design nicely. Next year if I have time....

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
like I say, they all have their following, some don't care to carry rests and prefer off hand and hunting from the ground or from a stand, but all have advantages the others don't! Just have to find what suites you,, for me 500fps is out! to much baggage with it!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I owned one. Vertical is easier to maneuver in a tree. It's not terribly fast. 325 fps but that's with a real light arrow. Uses regular arrows and nocks. Awkward to shoot lefty. Scope is a little offset so poi moves left to right a bit if you zero it. Alternatively, you can sight it in offset so you're always aiming a bit to left or right. Easy to change strings. No press needed. You can adjust weight of limbs. I found it wasn't terribly accurate...although probably better when you're purely offhand. Mixed bag. I ended out selling mine.
I could not have said it better. I owned one as well and your review is SPOT ON

Reactions: dlist777

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
There is no such thing as a vertical crossbow...Unless you hold a crossbow sideways. The draw lock has been around since the 70's Its a vertical bow with junk added. Not a crossbow in any way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts