Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months of trying to decide on a new bow, a couple weeks ago I purchased a Viper S400 from Wyvern’s. I‘m happy with it so far, but due to some uncooperative weather, my shooting has been pretty limited. I can shoot out to 17 yards indoors, but I haven’t really been able to dial it in any farther than that yet.

The one thing that I see that concerns me a little for hunting is the amount of over hang that the arrow has past the stirrup with a broadhead. Not a big deal when I’m hunting out of a box blind or ladder-stand, but I sometimes hunt out of lock-on stands, which I set up in trees where maneuverability can be a little tricky. (It was always much easier with a vertical bow)

I’ve noticed on some other posts that TomOnTheRun went to 17” on some ASAP’s from FD and TX_RDXguy is shooting 18” out of a Nitro XRT, so I’m just curious to what you guys think and if others have tried some shorter arrows with a Viper? Also, are there any watch outs other than changing FOC?

I currently have some 20” Evo-X and some 20” Dragon Claws, I could cut some down or just buy some shorter arrows. I’m still trying to sift through all of the differences around arrows, because I’ve always been just a hunter with shots limited to 40 yards, so arrow selection wasn‘t as critical to maintain decent groups. With this Viper I intend to get into some long range target shooting and I know that arrow selection will now be extremely important. Thanks!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I hunted with a Viper last fall. You’re right that the current setup is good at getting hung up on things. I sold my Viper and bought a Vapor for this coming year. The arrow will definitely be inside the stirrup on this bow. I’m guessing 18”.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
I would not go less than 17". A longer stirrup, depending on your type of hunting; blind, ladder, climber, could be a PIA. The Viper is a great bow but making the OAL isn't my cup of tea.

·
Registered
590 Posts
If the arrow build is correct, you could cut the arrows short enough to be inside the stirrup. But I still have to wonder how a 27 inch + arrow sticking all the way out the front of a vertical is easier than a bow as short as a viper with a slight overhang? Always seems strange to hear this after I hunted with verticals for 35 years. Since I switched to crossbows everything is more compact in comparison. Much easier to maneuver.
Just have some arrows made the length you need them, explain the situation and want bow you use and I’m sure any of the trusted arrow builders can fix ya up with what you need.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
After months of trying to decide on a new bow, a couple weeks ago I purchased a Viper S400 from Wyvern’s. I‘m happy with it so far, but due to some uncooperative weather, my shooting has been pretty limited. I can shoot out to 17 yards indoors, but I haven’t really been able to dial it in any farther than that yet.

The one thing that I see that concerns me a little for hunting is the amount of over hang that the arrow has past the stirrup with a broadhead. Not a big deal when I’m hunting out of a box blind or ladder-stand, but I sometimes hunt out of lock-on stands, which I set up in trees where maneuverability can be a little tricky. (It was always much easier with a vertical bow)

I’ve noticed on some other posts that TomOnTheRun went to 17” on some ASAP’s from FD and TX_RDXguy is shooting 18” out of a Nitro XRT, so I’m just curious to what you guys think and if others have tried some shorter arrows with a Viper? Also, are there any watch outs other than changing FOC?

I currently have some 20” Evo-X and some 20” Dragon Claws, I could cut some down or just buy some shorter arrows. I’m still trying to sift through all of the differences around arrows, because I’ve always been just a hunter with shots limited to 40 yards, so arrow selection wasn‘t as critical to maintain decent groups. With this Viper I intend to get into some long range target shooting and I know that arrow selection will now be extremely important. Thanks!
No stirrup overhang is my personal direction.

I went with 17" arrows. Shooting at 40 yards, 415 grain arrows, 110 grain arrow tip inserts, 100 grain field tip with a FOC 17% range. Accuracy is spot on. Pic shows paper placement results from my arrow shooting round. if I had shot at the same POA I would have damaged my very expensive arrows. I will not shoot in groups at 40 yards anymore. ViperS400/Arrows are too accurate and too expensive to replace damaged arrows. Note: my 20" arrows are very accurate and work extremely well but arrow tip overhang past the foot stirrup was a common issue on my hunts. Rather then spend the extra coin on a foot stirrup I like to use my Xbow as is.

With 20" arrows hunting on the ground (blind or chair) I would place my Xbow on the stirrup with a past tense crap experience. :censored:. The 20" arrow tip would dig into the ground. Didn't like that. Up in a tree climber I'd hit my Broadheads on the tree hooks making noise. No brainer for me. I went to 17" arrows. Ten Point and other suppliers sell 17" arrows.

Note: I shoot like I hunt. On the ground I use Primos trigger adjusted dual pod shooting stick. My results are good enough for me.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
TenPoint Viper S400 / Horton Vortec RDX
417 Posts
I had great success with the 20” center punch arrows but have recently obtained some 18” arrows to try. The larger stirrup is solid advice that I never thought about before. I like the shorter stirrup however so the 18” arrows are very promising thus far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts