Crossbow Nation banner

Viper in a blind

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  mallardhunter 
#1 · (Edited)
For those veterans out there, this may be a boring tale. For you newbies, you may find this interesting.
Hunting my own 68 acres I have spent much time researching the habits and travels of several deer. Almost to the point of naming them (yes, I have to much time on my hands).
Currently the Bucks were nocturnal, 2-3 am, until recent full moon. They are now starting to appear during early morning hours, 5:30-7:30. The does however have been like clock work. 1/2 hour after first light and again 1/2 hour before sun set. This has gone on for a month now with the does.

Saturday evening I was sitting in my ground blind 1 hour before the doe parade comes through. I have one doe that was the elder and over the past 2 years has only thrown singles. I passed on her twice now hoping for a ten point I've seen and just hoping he would be hot on her. Nope, no buck either time.

Here is the lessons I have learned over my 40+ years of deer hunting.
Watching the time on my phone I readied myself for what may come. A good friend of mine in Alabama just texted me "Good Luck". As I was reading the text, out the corner of my eye was the grand princess walking straight towards me. I'm behind a bush with 3' weeds around, my Viper laying on the ground and phone in my hand,,,, frozen. She gets about 20 yards to then realize that something is wrong with this picture, something is "different". She walks even closer stomping her front hoof, tail up and blowing in the attempt to get me to move. Nope, I was frozen in time. Thinking, I don't want to spook them by attempting to pick up my bow and blowing their daily travel habits because they would now be paranoid about this crossing. All of a sudden she turned a 180 and bolted 50 yards and stopped, now 70+ out. This provided enough time to drop my phone and grab my Viper.

Here's the Doe lesson. Over my time, a Buck would have bolted a county away before stopping. Doe's are different. The are very curious creatures in their daily environment. They can pick up the slightest changes on their journeys. However, this is their mistake. After this Doe bolted, and I had time to grab my Viper, she turned right around and walked directly toward me to 27 yards, stomping the ground in her attempt to get me to move. I had her on my 30 yard pin, aimed 1" low and squeezed the trigger. She ran maybe 30 yards and fell over. 160 lbs. in all her glory. So, if you do have a doe come in and identifies you, BE PATIENT, I have found it drives them crazy when they try to get you to react and you don't. Freeze, let them give you the opportunity to shoulder your bow to make an ethical shot. I have experienced does to spend 10 minutes with different tactics to get you to make a mistake.

As far as the Viper's performance? WOW, through the scope I saw the lighted nock enter her left side and exit hitting the ground behind. The NAP spitfire on the front of the Tenpoint Center Punch broke the left rib, tore off two vanes and broke another rib on the way out. I have never heard such a WACK in my life of deer hunting. Darn near nocked her off her feet. At 445 grain, the CP arrow hit hard. The blades of the spitfire looked like a tragic farming accident after going through two rib bones.

So, be patient even if the Deer "sees" you. Providing you don't let them make you make a mistake, you will win the mind game. Yes, your heart is beating out of your chest. That's okay, hang in there, learn from what you are seeing and she will come to you like a yoyo on a string I've been blessed now to have many doe's do this same thing, year after year. I wish I could get Mr. Buck to do the same, Not.

In hopes everyone enjoys their Deer hunting journey,
FD

See less See more
#11 ·
Thanks TX,
It was a very cool experience, as they all are. Every year I learn more and more about these critters. The enjoyment I get is being able to defeat their awesome senses they have in their backyard (even when holding my phone). **New bumper sticker: "No cell phone usage while hunting"
Good luck and get on that Buck you've been seeing.
FD

#3 ·
Well done! Those phone issues are why I leave my phone in the truck the vast majority of time.

Reactions: dynamo61
#10 ·
That's down right cheating. The degree of difficulty is the challenge, and it was!:unsure:
Have a great hunt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.