Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Crank Handle has one bearing only in the silver male piece and the handle will not stay in place in the round receiver while cocking or un-cocking.
I shot it today for the first time after watching all of the videos and the stitching on the end of the tape also wore off to the extent that the tape unfolded and has to be re-folded and held in place while it feeds back onto the drum while backwards winding of the crank handle. Neither of these conditions appear to be right.......or are they ?
Thanks for any input
Don
DSC08445.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
My Crank Handle has one bearing only in the silver male piece and the handle will not stay in place in the round receiver while cocking or un-cocking.
I shot it today for the first time after watching all of the videos and the stitching on the end of the tape also wore off to the extent that the tape unfolded and has to be re-folded and held in place while it feeds back onto the drum while backwards winding of the crank handle. Neither of these conditions appear to be right.......or are they ?
Thanks for any input
Don
View attachment 185262 View attachment 185262
View attachment 185263
There is only one bearing on the Crank Handle's end.
That is correct.

As far as the "stitching on the end of the tape also wore off", I am not sure what you mean so can't help you there.
Maybe some pics, if you could upload them, would help us to help you?

·
Registered
652 Posts
It appears this was from over cranking at some point. One must remember that this is not like a Ravin crank system. The TP does not have a clutch to slip if you over crank.
Once you hear the click from the catch when cocking, then STOP cranking or you may damage the system. The twist in the photo indicates over cranking. The missing ball bearing to retain the crank drive shaft is due to the bearing hole being elongated, thus the ball falling out.

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
It appears that the crank end is bent too. Looks like it has a twist to it.
It appears this was from over cranking at some point. One must remember that this is not like a Ravin crank system. The TP does not have a clutch to slip if you over crank.
Once you hear the click from the catch when cocking, then STOP cranking or you may damage the system. The twist in the photo indicates over cranking. The missing ball bearing to retain the crank drive shaft is due to the bearing hole being elongated, thus the ball falling out.
Yes, I see the twisted crank now, good eyes Gents.
Trailcamguy, I would contact TenPoint as it seems the bearing is stuck in the unlatch posisiton.

Just FYI, I have two crank handles and neither one of them has 2 ball bearings.
Maybe things have changed since we got out Vapor in May, 2020?

Regardless, it works fine as-is with one ball bearing.

·
Registered
652 Posts
One may ask why doesn't the TP have a clutch when cocking to prevent over cranking. Well, it would be a much more elaborate, more components, design requirement to have that on the true cocking/uncocking capability that the tech bows have. I for one pay close attention when cocking my Viper. I rapid crank until about an inch away from full cocked then slow to a controlled speed until I just hear the click.

For me, the de-cocking capability has more benefits then wishing for a clutch. IMO. 500 shots and no issues with my cocking system so far.
Wish you the best!
FD

·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Evidently at some point when the handle was "extended" (won't be using that feature again, the metal is too weak, imo) I over cranked and the shaft twisted enough to damage the handle allowing the tiny bearing hole to elongate and the bearing to fall out. This bearing is not on the end, but rather on each side as shown in the pictures.
As far as the tape stitch failing, I'll fold the tape over and try some Superglue to hold it more permanently.

This is my fifth brand new TenPoint, the most expensive, and in my opinion the AcuSlide system needed a little more testing before it was released for sale. Just an FYI.......a replacement handle runs $70-80 if you can find one and some sources say it has been discontinued.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Evidently at some point when the handle was "extended" (won't be using that feature again, the metal is too weak, imo) I over cranked and the shaft twisted enough to damage the handle allowing the tiny bearing hole to elongate and the bearing to fall out. This bearing is not on the end, but rather on each side as shown in the pictures.
As far as the tape stitch failing, I'll fold the tape over and try some Superglue to hold it more permanently.

This is my fifth brand new TenPoint, the most expensive, and in my opinion the AcuSlide system needed a little more testing before it was released for sale. Just an FYI.......a replacement handle runs $70-80 if you can find one and some sources say it has been discontinued.
I believe these new "tech" bows require a different level of use and maintenance. I haven't found one bow in my 40+ years of owning Xbows that there were not issues with in some form or another.
Heck, we pay 50 grand for a truck and experience "things" that could be better or known issues that are corrected later in time. If TP got everything right on every bow released, there would only be one bow company, TP.

Just a suggestion, call Randy Wood and talk with him about your experience. May be worth dropping a dime!
Good luck
FD

·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Couldn't agree more, I think you nailed it FD and appreciate the reply.
I will add that the crossbow is very accurate and pleasant to shoot, I'll make sure it is cocked on the ground so I don't have to mak another trip down the ladder because I fumbled the handle during the cocking process.
Don

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
One may ask why doesn't the TP have a clutch when cocking to prevent over cranking. Well, it would be a much more elaborate, more components, design requirement to have that on the true cocking/uncocking capability that the tech bows have. I for one pay close attention when cocking my Viper. I rapid crank until about an inch away from full cocked then slow to a controlled speed until I just hear the click.

For me, the de-cocking capability has more benefits then wishing for a clutch. IMO. 500 shots and no issues with my cocking system so far.
Wish you the best!
FD
The previous Pro used to have the clutch system. I'm a huge fan of the new set up

·
Registered
652 Posts
Couldn't agree more, I think you nailed it FD and appreciate the reply.
I will add that the crossbow is very accurate and pleasant to shoot, I'll make sure it is cocked on the ground so I don't have to mak another trip down the ladder because I fumbled the handle during the cocking process.
Don
That is hilarious you said that. I dropped mine yesterday and chalked it up to "additional exercise" climbing the ladder,,,,,, again!:oops:
Have a great day!
FD

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am on my 2nd crank handle. First one the bearing fell out. 2nd one it appears that the push release button is locked up. This is getting frustrating. 😤

·
Registered
652 Posts
My push button release began to get "sticky". One drop of gun oil cured that issue. The problem with stainless is it is sticky in itself when used in an assembly. If one part is stainless, the other carbon steel it tends to slide without as much coefficient. However, carbon steel will rust.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts