Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sure hope I'm doing something simple/stupid & wrong here but...... I cannot get the trigger box to unlatch/decock. I backwound it a little to relieve pressure on latch but I never really felt/heard it release. I can see the latch lower but not enough for the pin to travel over it. It seems as if I've wound it plenty enough for it to have relieved pressure on the pin and I'm afraid to over wind it! Not sure weather to continue with more pressure or not? The trigger box was wiggling a little like there was no pressure on it but just won't release from pin. (I have a hammer!)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Are you remembering to push down on the release button as wind and take pressure off the pin? Check out this video:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should say I "tried" that too. I have watched that video several times and again several times today. That gear release button should (to my knowledge) only be needed on the last backwind, seating gearbox onto pin. But I tried holding it in while backwinding and forward.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I forget the exact sequence as I have only decocked the AccuSlide 2 times in 3-4 months.
Seems to me that I had to press the Trigger Lock Release, on the LH or RH side, not the Gear Release button that is underneath.

Here is a link to the manual:

From page 8:

Press down and hold the trigger lock-latch lever with your left index finger or thumb (photo 35) and start to backwind (counter-clockwise) to lower the trigger box down the barrel. It only takes approximately two (2) pounds to release the latch. NOTE: You only need to hold the trigger lock-latch lever down until the trigger box moves 1/2-inch, then remove your finger from the trigger lock-latch lever – DO NOT continue to keep the trigger lock-latch lever pushed in while de-cocking. *If your trigger lock-latch lever does not doesn’t move, add 1/8 of a turn forward, and try the lock-latch lever again. Continue this process until the trigger lock-latch lever moves.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, that is the latch lever. That will lower the latch some but not enough to allow the pin to travel over it, freeing the box to slide down the track. The last sentence is what is kinda' scaring me "continue process until the trigger-latch lever moves"> I'm just afraid of cranking too much forward. It seems like I'm applying a lot of pressure that I didn't have to prior to today. I've shot this thing about 20 times. Never yet had an issue. Ready to contact TenPoint - soon. Season starts soon!

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Yes, that is the latch lever. That will lower the latch some but not enough to allow the pin to travel over it, freeing the box to slide down the track. The last sentence is what is kinda' scaring me "continue process until the trigger-latch lever moves"> I'm just afraid of cranking too much forward. It seems like I'm applying a lot of pressure that I didn't have to prior to today. I've shot this thing about 20 times. Never yet had an issue. Ready to contact TenPoint - soon. Season starts soon!
I found it difficult to decock one time as well but I followed the instructions to the letter and away I went.
I doubt you will break anything but there is no harm in calling TenPoint if you are uncomfortable.
That is what they are there for.
Good luck and keep us posted if you don't mind.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Going to call Monday AM to send it back. I've watched the variety of videos TOO MANY TIMES - I feel like I know the narrator! I've cranked it back more then I know should be necessary to release the latch and nothing but a little noise that I don't think is good. Getting a box ready today for shipping. I gotta' leave as soon as I get it in the mail for a planned trip. NOT LEAVING until it's taken care of. Season starts in a couple weeks. FRUSTRATED for sure. Thanks guys for suggestions. I'll let you all know what i find out. If it is something stupid on my part - I'll come up with a good story.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had an instance this morning on my new Viper where I only caught the dry fire inhibitor and not the trigger.....safety did NOT click back to safe. I cocked it all of the way and only discovered my mistake when my nock wouldn't fit in the trigger box. It's like the whole slide was kind of tipped up in front.
After several attempts following the instructions for decocking, I finally got it and all is fine. I made sure I cranked it until the box was firmly seated back each time and followed instructions from there.....finally the trigger lock latch seemed to find it's happy spot and all went like it was supposed to.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, completely different situation but, I'm certainly glad you got it! Each one of those little whoops are educational. I hope to pass along whatever this whoops I've got along to other's that want to learn from others mishaps.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
The process can take a time or two to really get it right. The videos and manual are helpful. I remember my first few times using the ACUdraw and it took a bit to develop the right routine.

I may be preaching to the choir here but hope it will be helpful......

Trigger engagement tip - If you don't hear the trigger catch the string and see the Safety move from "F" (FIRE) to "S" (SAFE) you are not fully latched and are resting on the dry fire mechanism. That has to be a step you verify every time. Done too many times, the ADF could be damaged. If the backwind process is done right the trigger box should move down the rail to the string when released. If it does not, there is still tension on the strap that connects to the trigger box.

Decocking - After you cock the bow and heard the trigger box lock-latch "click" and can see that it's fully latched, you need to backwind twice and then hold the Gear Release Button and make a third backwind. That "should" set it up for a clean release of the lock-latch to decock. If it's still only partially moving there's Trouble In River City and TenPoint will have to look at it.

As Dynamo notes, the steps to cock and de-cock are very specific and not very intuitive but done right, it works.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I sure hope I'm doing something simple/stupid & wrong here but...... I cannot get the trigger box to unlatch/decock. I backwound it a little to relieve pressure on latch but I never really felt/heard it release. I can see the latch lower but not enough for the pin to travel over it. It seems as if I've wound it plenty enough for it to have relieved pressure on the pin and I'm afraid to over wind it! Not sure weather to continue with more pressure or not? The trigger box was wiggling a little like there was no pressure on it but just won't release from pin. (I have a hammer!)
Did you get it rectified on your own? Did you use the trigger box forward assist to help it down the rail? I had a problem a few weeks ago, where I either put the safety on after my shot and then re-cocked the bow, or I just didn't seat the trigger box properly, and it was stuck on the DFI when I re-cocked it. Either way I couldn't un-cock the bow to get the string off the DFI. I like you, was afraid to crank it any more than I had already tried. Once I got home I REALLY cranked it that last little bit and that took the pressure off the trigger box so I could use the release lever thats on the box and de-cock it. I see your situation must be a bit different though, as you say the trigger box has no pressure on it and it wiggles a bit.

Hmmm....So the bow is still cocked correct? If so, give it that EXTRA bit of force on the crank, and while still holding the crank in that position, flip the silver trigger box release button. Trust me, you will THINK you are breaking the cocking mechanism to get that little extra you need, but your not. If the bow is not actually cocked and you just can't get the trigger box to travel down the rail to cock the bow, the cocking strap may be twisted inside the stock. Just push/pull on the forward assist handle of the trigger box and try to help it gain slack a little at a time. If it is cocked, I'm curious if you tried to load an arrow and if it would go all the way in. If not, you are stuck on the DFI like I was. You can also use the tool that is built in to the cranking handle to release the trigger block pin, but that only works if the bow is not cocked. TX is right on the entire cocking and de-cocking procedure...Kind of specific, and a PITA, but once you get used to doing it right, it works.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is not cocked. It just won't unlatch. The latch moves downward but not enough for the pin to clear, allowing the trigger box to travel. I will be sending it back Monday.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It is not cocked. It just won't unlatch. The latch moves downward but not enough for the pin to clear, allowing the trigger box to travel. I will be sending it back Monday.
Ahhhh...I got you now. Mine is doing the same exact thing! I was literally just lubing up my Viper and I cocked it to do some parts. Upon De-cocking it I realized that it will not release from the string in order to retract the trigger box back up to it's original position. I didn't think I had this issue prior to me getting hung up on the DFI a few weeks ago, but I hadn't really done anything with the bow prior to that. What I just did was flip the bow over and use the tool on the crank to poke through the hole in the hand hold and down through the rail to the trigger box release pin. This will release the trigger box from the string so you can retract it. Now whether or not this is how you have to release it every time, I'm not sure. I'd think not, especially at this price point, but I have seen stranger things.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Ahhhh...I got you now. Mine is doing the same exact thing! I was literally just lubing up my Viper and I cocked it to do some parts. Upon De-cocking it I realized that it will not release from the string in order to retract the trigger box back up to it's original position. I didn't think I had this issue prior to me getting hung up on the DFI a few weeks ago, but I hadn't really done anything with the bow prior to that. What I just did was flip the bow over and use the tool on the crank to poke through the hole in the hand hold and down through the rail to the trigger box release pin. This will release the trigger box from the string so you can retract it. Now whether or not this is how you have to release it every time, I'm not sure. I'd think not, especially at this price point, but I have seen stranger things.
If you have had a dry fire and the trigger box is not releasing I'd get in touch with TenPoint Customer Service and have a discussion about it.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Huh? No dry fire happened. ???
OK, good. My mistake on interpretation of your comments.

Mine is doing the same exact thing! I didn't think I had this issue prior to me getting hung up on the DFI a few weeks ago.....

·
Registered
377 Posts
So after checking in to it, apparently you can not remove the trigger box off the string to wind it back up to it's original stored position unless you release the trigger latch lock with the pin included on the crank handle as described in the video I posted above. This is what I did, as I prefer my trigger box be stored in that position. You can however leave it attached on the string for storage as well without any negative effect on the bow.

·
Registered
377 Posts
OK, good. My mistake on interpretation of your comments.

Mine is doing the same exact thing! I didn't think I had this issue prior to me getting hung up on the DFI a few weeks ago.....
No big deal TX. "Hung up in the DFI" happened when I either didn't seat the trigger box down on the string far enough or I had the safety engaged when I hooked the trigger box to the string. This caused it to not seat all the way back to the trigger latch, thus the string was hooked on the DFI mechanism, not the trigger latch. That is not the same as a dry fire.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts