Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is where I'll update on the Viper S400 that I have that will not decock - Well, I contacted TenPoint and they wanted me to take it to my local dealer/service center. Took it there last Monday and they contacted me on Wednesday saying there's trouble in the trigger box. I don't know why I never thought to take it to them earlier. I didn't buy it from them but I should have known. Also surprised that no one on here mentioned it. I'm not knocking anyone by any means. I'm wondering if the demise of many local pro shops have made us kinda' forget about them.? I know I'm used to fixing things myself. TenPoint definitely does not want you to fix it yourself! This I completely understand but it frustrates me sometimes that I can't take it apart and understand what makes it work and how to fix it. I was told by the shop that it will be about 2-3 weeks. I will let you all know what goes on from here. PS - our season starts here (Md.) on Sept. 11th.. My grandson was excited to use my "backup bow" this season - Aint' going to happen now! He's falling back to his regular bow the old trusty, Barnett Jackal. It kills! GOOD LUCK ALL!

·
Registered
10,908 Posts
What is this local dealer/service center you refer too? Nothing like that around here unless you go see the guy in the back of the local pawn shop who does have a press at least.
I am glad you found your problem. :)

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
This is where I'll update on the Viper S400 that I have that will not decock - Well, I contacted TenPoint and they wanted me to take it to my local dealer/service center. Took it there last Monday and they contacted me on Wednesday saying there's trouble in the trigger box. I don't know why I never thought to take it to them earlier. I didn't buy it from them but I should have known. Also surprised that no one on here mentioned it. I'm not knocking anyone by any means. I'm wondering if the demise of many local pro shops have made us kinda' forget about them.? I know I'm used to fixing things myself. TenPoint definitely does not want you to fix it yourself! This I completely understand but it frustrates me sometimes that I can't take it apart and understand what makes it work and how to fix it. I was told by the shop that it will be about 2-3 weeks. I will let you all know what goes on from here. PS - our season starts here (Md.) on Sept. 11th.. My grandson was excited to use my "backup bow" this season - Aint' going to happen now! He's falling back to his regular bow the old trusty, Barnett Jackal. It kills! GOOD LUCK ALL!
We have local TenPoint, Ravin, Excalibur, PSE, etc. Dealers and Service Depots where I live, 200,000 people.
TenPoint Dealers and Service Depots are trained to fix equipment under warranty (which yours still is) to Manufacturer specs.
Same as car Dealers don't want you tearing an engine apart while it is still under warranty, I would guess that TenPoint doesn't want you to get hurt using wrong parts or parts you think are "good enough".

Hence the "Warranty Void if Opened" stickers on parts of the xbow.
You wanna mess with it, go ahead but don't expect them to support you at no charge later on.

Reactions: ldock

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dynamo61 - That's exactly why it's on it's way to the factory as I said. I'll tear it apart after the warranty is over which, I hope is never! I really pray to never have another issue with this bow. As always - the more technology added, the more chance of something going wrong. This is why many really like the simplicity of something like the Excalibur. WAPSTER - is Randy Wood the representative that monitors this site? I did PM him but don't know his name. Thanks for advice.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to make sure I'm not misleading anyone - Ten Point says that their turn around time will be 6-10 days. The Pro Shop said that bye the time they get it sent out, received, repaired, and received back again, it'll be about 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
What's the deal with the trigger box?

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Dynamo61 - That's exactly why it's on it's way to the factory as I said. I'll tear it apart after the warranty is over which, I hope is never! I really pray to never have another issue with this bow. As always - the more technology added, the more chance of something going wrong. This is why many really like the simplicity of something like the Excalibur. WAPSTER - is Randy Wood the representative that monitors this site? I did PM him but don't know his name. Thanks for advice.
Looks like Wapster missed this post.
Yes, the TenPoint rep's name is Randy Wood.

The xbow has a limited lifetime warranty, not sure 100% exactly what is covered.
I'm sure strings and cables are not.

I think most mechanicals on it are.
The warranty is on their website if you want to read it, also in the manual that came with the equipment.

Good luck CBHunter.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
My local archery shop wouldn't tackle a repair on a trigger box assembly due to legal issues. So KI send me a complete new rear assembly less the riser assembly and scope.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WELL - tomorrows our opening day in Md. and I'll be using my back up bow. The Vapor S400 hasn't been returned yet! BUMMER! So glad I have another Xbow.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Is your experience that the crank itself doesn't work OR that the catch claws wont release the trigger box to decock?
IF you shoot the bow and then press the catch release lever to advance the trigger box down the rail, does it free fall or do you need to push it past the catch claws before it will free fall?
Accurate answers will pin point the root cause.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK. I called the shop again today (only 3rd call). They told me that TenPoint now has the parts to fix my bow and I probably will get it early next week. So it looks like it'll be 3 weeks before it gets returned. I have killed two does with my back up bow - trying to remember why I bought this thing. LOL. Haven't been told yet what the actual problem was. Anxious!

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I sent my scope in, it wouldnt focus. Mailed last wed. They got it on friday. It came back to me today. Pretty darn good service.

Reactions: dynamo61
1 - 16 of 16 Posts