Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to start a new post - Just got my Viper back from the "factory" (repair). It took about 3 1/2 weeks which I totally understand - COVID! I go to the pro shop to pick it up and I asked for a report or something to tell me what went wrong? They had no information, JUST A BILL FOR $160.! $60 was for S&H which I'm ginda' OK with but, what's the $100 for. The bow is about 6-7 months old (20 +- shots). I told the shop I want to know why I'm paying this!? TenPoint should IMO, send information as to repairs and possible reason for issue!!!! The shop agreed to call TenPoint. After some discussion with a couple different people from Tenpoint, the shop says this issue was from repeatedly cocking improperly - WRONG!!!! TenPoint did say if I took instruction from the shop on how to cock it, they would not charge me the $100. This was a good gesture but, this was NOT the problem! I watched the shop go through cocking and decocking. I described what I did BEFORE they proceeded and I was 100% correct in the procedure! I admitted to them that I damaged the cranking mechanism trying to free up the trigger box. The MAIN ISSUE was the trigger box wouldn't release and travel down the rail (decock). That problem created the issue (damage) with the crank and strap. I am not happy at all with how this was handled!! Mostly unhappy with their lack of truthful correspondence. I want to know what happened! Without them requesting to communicate with me, written or verbal, they don't know what happened. Saying that I created an issue by improperly cocking the bow is a falsehood, trying to ignore a mechanical issue in their design! The shop also had an issue with the crank handle and before they could show me the cocking sequence - THE CRANK BROKE!! I gotta' buy a new crank! $75!! IT'LL TAKE ABOUT 4 WEEKS TO GET!!!. I REALLY STEEPED INTO SOMETHING SMELLY!! NOT HAPPY AT ALL WITH HOW THIS WENT DOWN! Usually I very understanding but some of this I don't understand! I paid more than I wanted to for this bow expecting it to pay off if I ever had an issue and with the quality of the product, I shouldn't have an issue. Boy was I wrong!!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK- here I go again - back to the shop! I took the bow out this mourning, AFTER reviewing the videos (100 times). I cocked it back as shown. Fired a shot. Tried to lower the trigger box as shown. I felt too much tension in the gear box (strap) and the release lever won't go down enough to release the trigger box - HERE I GO AGAIN!! This is the same problem I had before. This time I only cranked the handle forward about a turn. Too much resistance and the lever won't lower enough. BACK TO THE SHOP!! They will look it over. PUZZLED & FRUSTRATED!!!!

·
Crossbow Nut
3,101 Posts
Wow! Sorry to hear about this and sorry about how it's being handled. That's just WRONG!!!

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
I am sorry to hear of this happening to you also but it makes me feel a lot better about buying a Ravin instead as it has been problem free. I was torn between the two at the time.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
OK- here I go again - back to the shop! I took the bow out this mourning, AFTER reviewing the videos (100 times). I cocked it back as shown. Fired a shot. Tried to lower the trigger box as shown. I felt too much tension in the gear box (strap) and the release lever won't go down enough to release the trigger box - HERE I GO AGAIN!! This is the same problem I had before. This time I only cranked the handle forward about a turn. Too much resistance and the lever won't lower enough. BACK TO THE SHOP!! They will look it over. PUZZLED & FRUSTRATED!!!!
Did you turn the silver knob out all the way?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Can’t kill a deer with a bow acting like that.
Trade that thing in on a Ravin.
And don’t look back.
TP should have provided (without you asking for) itemized list for what they were charging you for.
Just common sense and good business pratice.
I seem to read about quite a few problems folks have with their newer/newest bows.
I won’t waste my time or money on their products.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, I got a call from the shop today. It's working fine!? The owner said it was bound up just a little but it's working good now. I don't know how it could have been bound at all . After I took the first and only shot since getting it back, I only turned the handle about 1 to 1 1/4 turns. I know i was a little "gun shy" after the previous events. I took arrows with me and went through the procedure of cocking and decocking and it works smooth as can be. THAT'S ALL I WANT! I don't know what happened and I'm not above saying that there might have been something I overlooked but I'm very frustrated. I watched those videos until I ran out of popcorn!. I certainly pray that this is the beginning of a new (again), wonderful, relationship with this crossbow.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Alright, I got a call from the shop today. It's working fine!? The owner said it was bound up just a little but it's working good now. I don't know how it could have been bound at all . After I took the first and only shot since getting it back, I only turned the handle about 1 to 1 1/4 turns. I know i was a little "gun shy" after the previous events. I took arrows with me and went through the procedure of cocking and decocking and it works smooth as can be. THAT'S ALL I WANT! I don't know what happened and I'm not above saying that there might have been something I overlooked but I'm very frustrated. I watched those videos until I ran out of popcorn!. I certainly pray that this is the beginning of a new (again), wonderful, relationship with this crossbow.
Sorry to hear your experience. I too had some difficulty early on but was due to my own doings. I was releasing the trigger box and ripping it down the rail pretty fast. This was causing the strap spool to over spin and causing a back lash. Once it bunches up the strap it is then possible for it to get into the crank gear causing obvious issues.
Since I changed my cadence I have not had any issues. This is now well over 500 shots since I altered my way of "guiding" the trigger box down the rail with the thumb knob under a controlled speed.

I really do like my Viper a bunch now that "I" know what the bow likes regarding the cocking method. The important factor for me is to be able to de-cock after a hunt without fear of breaking fingers if my hand slips off the handle. In hopes you have as much success going forward as I have.
Good luck in your hunt.
FD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts