Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got one shot out of my Viper and did what rifle guys new to crossbows do sometimes, and i put er on safe after the shot. Of course i didn't realize it and i cranked up for another shot only to realize it when i couldn't load the arrow. I SHOULD be able to uncock it and then get the string off the DFI, except i get uncock it no matter what i try. All the instructions to remedy the string on the DFI are first predicated on uncocking the bow. So much for my first foray with the Viper. I didn't even get it sighted in. Smh. Anybody got any tricks or ideas i can try? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
From the TenPoint website

If you cock your crossbow with an ACUslide:
When the trigger box securely latches to the bowstring, the safety knob will move from “F” (FIRE) to “S” (SAFE). You should see this movement and hear a “click” when you push down on the charging handle to secure the trigger box to the bowstring. If you skipped this step in the cocking process, the bowstring is likely not engaged with the string latch and is being held by the DFI.
To correct this condition, point the crossbow downward, resting the front of the crossbow on the ground, and hold the buttstock with your left hand.
Remove the crank handle from the stock, push in on the handle’s release button with your index finger, and insert it into the cocking device’s square recess hole.
Once the crank handle is attached, pull back on the crank handle knob to extend the handle to its full length.
Next, turn the crank handle forward (clockwise) approximately 2-3 full turns – just enough to remove the tension on the trigger lock-latch.
Use your left index finger or thumb to press down on the trigger lock-latch. As soon as the trigger lock-latch releases, start to backwind (counterclockwise) to lower the trigger box down the barrel. Once the trigger box is released, place your left hand back on the rear of the buttstock to securely hold the crossbow while you continue to lower the trigger. NOTE: Do not continue to push down on the trigger lock-latch button while de-cocking.
Once the tension is removed from the strap, firmly push down on the charging handle located on the left side of the trigger box to attach it securely to the string. You should see the safety knob move from the “F” (FIRE) position to the “S” (SAFE) position and hear a “click”. The bowstring is now engaged by the string latch. From here, follow the additional steps to complete the cocking process.

Reactions: TenPoint-BZ

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They have a video on tenpoint that shows how to do it

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
Yes Sir...and it's of no help if you cannot de-cock the bow first. THAT is my issue. No matter what I try it will not de-cock. I followed the same instructions FireHunter posted. It simply does not work. I swear I heard the audible click when I cocked it, but I guess not. I have wound it tight and hit the mechanism release button under the stock, I have unwound it till it wouldn't unwind, I have tried just about everything short of trying to fire it dry or pushing up on the DFI from under the rail....both of which would likely be catastrophic to either my fingers, my face, or the bow. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes Sir...and it's of no help if you cannot de-cock the bow first. THAT is my issue. No matter what I try it will not de-cock. I followed the same instructions FireHunter posted. It simply does not work. I swear I heard the audible click when I cocked it, but I guess not. I have wound it tight and hit the mechanism release button under the stock, I have unwound it till it wouldn't unwind, I have tried just about everything short of trying to fire it dry or pushing up on the DFI from under the rail....both of which would likely be catastrophic to either my fingers, my face, or the bow. :rolleyes:
Take the safety off and cock it again

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now tell the truth, did you read the manual first? LOL! Been there, done that!
I did...about a month ago. LOL! The whole cocking it with the safety on issue, should be upfront and in bold print in the manual. Better yet, for $1,600 how about TP makes a bow that will not allow you to engage the safety when the bow is not cocked. Yeah, I vote for that remedy!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I engaged the safety after my first shot or I just didn't push forward hard enough on the trigger box to clear the DFI and lock the trigger mechanism on the string. :unsure:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I waited until I got home so I could further try to de-cock it and voila! I finally got enough tension off the trigger box to get it to disengage. I really thought I was going to break the accuslide though. I had to REALLY crank it tight. I was worried for sure. 🤞

·
2,816 Posts
Glad you were able to get it fixed. Also, congrats on knowing the actual word voila Instead of walla. :)

·
Registered
10,518 Posts
I waited until I got home so I could further try to de-cock it and voila! I finally got enough tension off the trigger box to get it to disengage. I really thought I was going to break the accuslide though. I had to REALLY crank it tight. I was worried for sure. 🤞
At least next time you do it you will know how to fix it. :p ;)

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Owning both a Ravin R26 and TenPoint Vapor RS470, I found it is easy to get confused with the slightly different cocking/decocking mechanisms at first or when shooting one for prolonged periods then switching to the other.
For example, the Ravin does not require a backwind sequence after full draw.

So, on both xbows, I always physically check the Trigger Box is securely latched onto the string and the Safety has engaged itself prior to cocking.

I even give the Trigger Box a very slight tug (maybe a quarter inch or less?) to ensure it is on the string.
Then I visually double check the Safety has engaged each time prior to cocking.
It has become a habit on both systems.

The more you shoot, the more the cocking sequence comes naturally to you.
Decocking is a different story for me as I have not had to decock very often.
So I printed out the decock sequence for both xbows and keep them in one of the cases' pockets for easy reference.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've done what you did with my vengent so now you'll need to check your barrel and hopefully your dfi didn't crush the arrow flight rails if it did the black paint wil begin to flake off and get really rough if that happens you're going to have to replace the barrel that's what I had to do.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've done what you did with my vengent so now you'll need to check your barrel and hopefully your dfi didn't crush the arrow flight rails if it did the black paint wil begin to flake off and get really rough if that happens you're going to have to replace the barrel that's what I had to do.

O boy....Thanks for being the bearer of that concerning news. Just what I don't need in my XB life. (n) I will be on the lookout for such an occurrence. Thanks!.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got my Viper 400 and it happened to me the first time I tried to use it. I read all the directions, watched videos, and now I can't get the string to move at all. I tried cranking on it and it made some nasty noises, but is still stuck and will not release.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can't get anything to move at all. The string is stuck in the DFI position. It will not cock all the way or de-cock.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts