Crossbow Nation banner

101 - 120 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Rmax,
I am not an expert at all on the Vapor, sorry. I can share that some of the needs are similar regarding positive cam lean.
Just remember this in your journey with most any bow. When accuracy and or noise issues arise then it's for the most part something coming loose or out of position. I always check fasteners before doing anything else.
Keep it simple.
FD

·
Registered
56 Posts
FD, can you post a picture of how you changed the string on your Viper? I think I can see how it would be done but would like to see how you did it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Yes, sorry, was meaning to do it sooner but got wrapped up in bow tuning. I'll get it later today for ya!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
FD, can you post a picture of how you changed the string on your Viper? I think I can see how it would be done but would like to see how you did it.
Just an FYI. On this design of bow, similar to Ravin, it is not possible to pin the cams, as I will show you, to service the cables. This method only allows the string to be changed.
I'm working on a portable screw design press for these bows and specific to these bows. This press will allow full service on this design of bow: cables and string.
Stay tuned!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Here is the pics on how to pin the Viper for string change out. You will need two 5/16" diameter pins X 2-1/2" long
Here are the steps:
  • Start cocking the bow until the first window in the cam is present on the INSIDE of each limb.
  • With a helper, continue to cock until your helper can slide the pins through the window on each cam. See photo
  • SLOWLY reverse crank, de-cock, until the cam applies pressure to the pins.
  • Continue to de-cock until the string is completely loose and then can be removed.
  • When installing the new string, thread it through the trigger assembly as you removed it. Be sure you are behind the trigger gate and NOT the DFI gate.
Enjoy!
FD

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just an FYI. On this design of bow, similar to Ravin, it is not possible to pin the cams, as I will show you, to service the cables. This method only allows the string to be changed.
I'm working on a portable screw design press for these bows and specific to these bows. This press will allow full service on this design of bow: cables and string.
Stay tuned!
Yes please! I've been thinking about designing a press as well

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here is the pics on how to pin the Viper for string change out. You will need two 5/16" diameter pins X 2-1/2" long
Here are the steps:
  • Start cocking the bow until the first window in the cam is present on the INSIDE of each limb.
  • With a helper, continue to cock until your helper can slide the pins through the window on each cam. See photo
  • SLOWLY reverse crank, de-cock, until the cam applies pressure to the pins.
  • Continue to de-cock until the string is completely loose and then can be removed.
  • When installing the new string, thread it through the trigger assembly as you removed it. Be sure you are behind the trigger gate and NOT the DFI gate.
Enjoy!
FD
Thanks, that's how I had pictured it would work.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Good morning,
I had ordered and just received a Ravin press due to the similarities of front end limb design.
I have to tell you that the anodized 7075 aluminum for the major components along with the other mechanical items, you would be hard pressed to build a press with the same quality as the 200.00 Ravin press. It works very well on the Viper. You can service the string, cables and relax the limbs 100% if a person needed to service cams.
Wyvern had the best price I could find. So, to each their own as far as building one verses 200.00 purchase.
Carpe Diem,
FD

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good morning,
I had ordered and just received a Ravin press due to the similarities of front end limb design.
I have to tell you that the anodized 7075 aluminum for the major components along with the other mechanical items, you would be hard pressed to build a press with the same quality as the 200.00 Ravin press. It works very well on the Viper. You can service the string, cables and relax the limbs 100% if a person needed to service cams.
Wyvern had the best price I could find. So, to each their own as far as building one verses 200.00 purchase.
Carpe Diem,
FD
Think it will work on the Vapor 470?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good morning,
Carpe Diem,
FD
So when they say not to use it on any other crossbow they're just covering themselves?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
So when they say not to use it on any other crossbow they're just covering themselves?
I was hunting when I saw your post. I can only share that my observation would be they are protecting themselves from someone buying it, that shouldn't, and trying to use it on a bow with a completely different design then,,,,,, lawyer time.
If you examine the cam bearing holders between brand R and the Viper, you will see a very similar design. The R press jaws have a V that contacts the round cam holder as on both brand bows.
I have completely pressed my viper with it and it works as it should. The threaded rod is a fine thread and provides extremely accurate adjustment.

If your not comfortable using it then there are several others out there that are more "universal". However they are more expensive.
Good luck on your decision.
FD

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was hunting when I saw your post. I can only share that my observation would be they are protecting themselves from someone buying it, that shouldn't, and trying to use it on a bow with a completely different design then,,,,,, lawyer time.
If you examine the cam bearing holders between brand R and the Viper, you will see a very similar design. The R press jaws have a V that contacts the round cam holder as on both brand bows.
I have completely pressed my viper with it and it works as it should. The threaded rod is a fine thread and provides extremely accurate adjustment.

If your not comfortable using it then there are several others out there that are more "universal". However they are more expensive.
Good luck on your decision.
FD
If you've tried it and it works that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hello farm, i just found this thread...very nice info you have shared here. is this the only thread you have to post about the viper s400 ?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
hello farm, i just found this thread...very nice info you have shared here. is this the only thread you have to post about the viper s400 ?
There are many... you could search for Farm Deer and review the ones I have posted.
FD

·
Registered
16 Posts
farm, just searced some of your posts....man stuff all over the site. i have decited to follow this thread as it looks like it pertains to just the viper S400. i will trust if you post any of just your info on it, it will be here. would love to see a video with a string, cable timing/tuning. did a serch on you-tube with no results....but i have found a few on the ravin. it looks kinda the same as mine, but dont know if it compairable. i seen somewhere where you mentioned a ravin press. as of now i will reread this thread and try to pick up things. getting into a new hobby at my age is kinda rough, lols. i will keep a eye on any of your posts here. peace, randy.

101 - 120 of 143 Posts