Crossbow Nation banner

121 - 140 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Farm Deer, what kind of target are you shooting the viper in to? how is it holding up? and is it stopping arrows short of the fetching?
thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
hello farm, i sure hope im not bothering with my stupid questions...but i was looking things over comparing my bow to yours on post #93. page 5. to me my cam lean looks kinda messed up to looking at yours. the 4 little dots have two on each side of the limbs on both wheels, looks ok to me. i have cocked the bow 3 times but never fired, as im waitin on my target to arrive. my ques, do you think its good enough to fire like it is?

left side

right side

right and left wheels

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
It's a Spyder target. Absolutely the best. Will stop 470fps at 20 yards. they come in 18x18 or 24x24.
You will get 5,000 shots before you wear it out. I have 3 and won't buy anything else

Attachments

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
hello farm, i sure hope im not bothering with my stupid questions...but i was looking things over comparing my bow to yours on post #93. page 5. to me my cam lean looks kinda messed up to looking at yours. the 4 little dots have two on each side of the limbs on both wheels, looks ok to me. i have cocked the bow 3 times but never fired, as im waitin on my target to arrive. my ques, do you think its good enough to fire like it is?

left side

right side

right and left wheels

You bet. She is very close with positive cam angle. BE SURE you wax the entire string and cables before shooting.
Try not to cock and un-cock repeatedly. They aren't meant to do that. You can damage the strap if you slacken the strap to much, it can get into the gear.
Looks great, SHOOT ON!
Remember one thing: ASMS (aim small, miss small)

·
Registered
16 Posts
boy thats great news! thank you so much.... yea i have many years of hunting with guns, and handgun building experence, but this x-bow is so new i know nothing...thanks agian for helping me. peace, randy.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
boy thats great nows! thank you so much.... yea i have many years of hunting with guns, and handgun building experence, but this x-bow is so new i know nothing...thanks agian for helping me. peace, randy.
A neat practice is to play tic-tac-toe on a Spyder target. If you have a friend to shoot with, call a bulls eye and you must put it in the bulls eye to win that X. you can win by an arch or straight line. Hones your skills and is a bunch of fun.
Good luck and enjoy your Viper,
FD

·
Registered
105 Posts
thanks a bunch for the target info. which target would you suggest to use the broadhead practice points?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Someone else will have to ring in on broad head targets. I use NAP spitfires that I tested years ago. The only time I use them is during hunting. They have proven to shoot just like a field point for me.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Regarding a Deer "Jumping the String". If you do the math, at 40 yards with your Viper @ 365fps (using a Center Punch arrow) will hit the target in 1 second. 20 yards .5 seconds.
Yes, deer are fast, they aren't that fast. Many years ago with a 235 fps xbow, maybe. Not with a bow >350 fps.
So, don't let someone convince you there are "Super Deer" out there for there is not. They have three superb senses but not invincible. Sometimes invisible but not invincible.
Good luck,
FD

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you do a lot of shooting get the Blob 20 X 20 cause it will last along long time. You will need a good arrow puller tho. I have back issues so I use the Arojac arrow puller on my Blob target. A little expensive but a good investment on both. They sometimes run the Blob on sale. I think I got mine for somewhere around $135 and that included shipping. Good luck and enjoy!

·
45 Posts
Someone else will have to ring in on broad head targets. I use NAP spitfires that I tested years ago. The only time I use them is during hunting. They have proven to shoot just like a field point for me.
I've used Spitfires for years. Last Wednesday, the unthinkable happened. I had a Spitfire prematurely open on me. It seems that ever since NAP was bought out, quality has really gone downhill.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
I've used Spitfires for years. Last Wednesday, the unthinkable happened. I had a Spitfire prematurely open on me. It seems that ever since NAP was bought out, quality has really gone downhill.
Sorry to hear. The spitfires I have must be at least 15 years old. End of season sale. I bought 10 3 packs at 15.00 or less.
I also bought 10 or so blade kits for 5.00, I think, been a long time. I must have the original high quality ones. I have not had any open in flight. Does the package say made in the USA or China? Mine sez USA.

Maybe a little rubber band like those used with oral braces? Prior to the NAP's I use to use Mussy 3 blade fixed. Tore the deer up like warm bread.

Good luck Doegirl,
FD

·
Registered
16 Posts
farm, i wish i knew about your spyder target, before ordering the one i bought...just came today, hope it works ok with my viper.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
farm, i wish i knew about your spyder target, before ordering the one i bought...just came today, hope it works ok with my viper.
We have the Morrell just like yours above as well as the SpyderWeb like FarmDeer's.
We shoot our TenPoint Vapor at the Morrell and the SpyderWeb.
Arrows come out a little easier in the SpyderWeb but the Morrell is darned close in stopping power and ease of arrow removal.
I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Just cycle through the 4 sides regularly and it should last you for thousands of shots.
Cheers,
dynamo61

Reactions: Farm Deer

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
You should be just fine. Like Dynamo said, rotate the target and it will last much longer.
The few I have lasted about a year and then get soft after awhile. I the use them for 80-100 yard shots like those I shot tonight at 80 yards. With reduced arrow speed they will still work at distance.
The target below will show you NOT to aim at the same bullseye,,,,or you may be ordering more arrows;)
Enjoy the heck out of your Viper, it's a great bow.
FD
20201017_184056.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
shot 2 arrows into it today @10 yds. to test out. arrows went in about 6in. gonna wait now and shoot at my brothers. bow seems quiet, but im used to firearms for the last 50 yrs. he has been shooting crossbows for a few years now. i am maybe looking to hunt with him next fall. give me some time to learn my new hobby. thanks for your thread farm deer. will be following to learn more. the fellas/women in this forum seems like such swell people.... peace, randy.

·
45 Posts
Sorry to hear. The spitfires I have must be at least 15 years old. End of season sale. I bought 10 3 packs at 15.00 or less.
I also bought 10 or so blade kits for 5.00, I think, been a long time. I must have the original high quality ones. I have not had any open in flight. Does the package say made in the USA or China? Mine sez USA.

Maybe a little rubber band like those used with oral braces? Prior to the NAP's I use to use Mussy 3 blade fixed. Tore the deer up like warm bread.

Good luck Doegirl,
FD
Thanks FD. It's my understanding is the NAP products in the new black and yellow packaging are coming from overseas. I've noticed the screws that hold in the blades in the ferrule are smaller and the blades aren't nearly as durable as they use to be.
I switched over to the Rage Trypan crossbow broadhead and so far happy with it's performance.

121 - 140 of 143 Posts