Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 546 Posts

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently, Farm Deer has posted his recreational shooting experience using speed scopes and I have collaborated my findings with the two speed scopes that were claimed to be accurate out to 100 yards. Our findings with these scopes were accurate out to 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and close to spot on accurate to 70 yards. Thinking I was set I just assumed the 100 yard reticle would be accurate so I went ahead to shoot off the 100 yard reticle and poof a cloud of dirt, I missed short. So I decide to shoot at the upper top of the target to hit the target and found my hold over for 100 yards was 13" off. o_O Farm Deer experienced a similar experience with his speed scopes. Accurate but not all the way out to 100 yards.

Farm Deer called Vortex to review the scope. He had shared the Vortex Crossfire II Xbow Scope was spot on accurate for each reticle at 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 and 100 yards. This impressed and I started watching the newly release videos on this scope. I gotta say if you don't mind reticles displaying 20-100 yard reticles the FOV to my eyes is more then acceptable. I do plan to get one for two reasons.

1. I want to enjoy both advantages of hunting and recreational shooting (100 yards). When I execute at long range there is a positive charge of accomplishments executing accuracy at 100 yards.
2. I get tired with many scope marketing strategies that claim to meet these requirements and DON'T!!!

I do plan to buy and look forward to knowing what I buy actually works to OEM specs. Now I have not checked every scope but between Farm Deer and myself we've tested 6 plus well known brand names that have not met the 100 yard challenge.

If there is any other scopes accurate for each reticle once sighted in please let me know.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FOV looks rather clean for 20-100 yard reticle to me.

Reactions: BKX-BOW

·
Registered
377 Posts
Recently, Farm Deer has posted his recreational shooting experience using speed scopes and I have collaborated my findings with the two speed scopes that were claimed to be accurate out to 100 yards. Our findings with these scopes were accurate out to 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and close to spot on accurate to 70 yards. Thinking I was set I just assumed the 100 yard reticle would be accurate so I went ahead to shoot off the 100 yard reticle and poof a cloud of dirt, I missed short. So I decide to shoot at the upper top of the target to hit the target and found my hold over for 100 yards was 13" off. o_O Farm Deer experienced a similar experience with his speed scopes. Accurate but not all the way out to 100 yards.

Farm Deer called Vortex to review the scope. He had shared the Vortex Crossfire II Xbow Scope was spot on accurate for each reticle at 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 and 100 yards. This impressed and I started watching the newly release videos on this scope. I gotta say if you don't mind reticles displaying 20-100 yard reticles the FOV to my eyes is more then acceptable. I do plan to get one for two reasons.

1. I want to enjoy both advantages of hunting and recreational shooting (100 yards). When I execute at long range there is a positive charge of accomplishments executing accuracy at long range.
2. I get tired with many scope marketing strategies that claim to meet these requirements and DON'T!!!

I do plan to buy and look forward to knowing what I buy actually works to OEM specs. Now I have not checked every scope but between Farm Deer and myself we've tested 6 plus well known brand names that have not met the 100 yard challenge.

If there is any other scopes accurate for each reticle once sighted in please let me know.

The Ravin scope is dead on if sighted in correctly.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this a newer model? The same scope but offered by BearX is not. May be a gen1 model. Any FOV pics and what is the model?

Thanks for sharing and good to know if Ravin does offers an accurate scope as claimed for each reticle our to 100 yards. That is good to know!!! Cost?

·
Registered
10,392 Posts
Is this a newer model? The same scope but offered by BearX is not. May be a gen1 model. Any FOV pics and what is the model?

Thanks for sharing and good to know if Ravin does offers an accurate scope as claimed for each reticle our to 100 yards. That is good to know!!! Cost?
Look at the take off scopes on Wyverns site. He usually has the Ravin scopes for under $100.

·
Registered
499 Posts
UTG has a new 1.5x6x36 crossbow dedicated scope out. Ranged to 130 yards. Do not know what its actual capabilities are.
:) I trialed this one Hunter. Very "noisy" to the eye especially in low light conditions. Also the dots for 100-130 are larger then the lower yardages and you lose the target FOV.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, is that Gen 1 or a new style scope? I'm not a betting man but have the same exact model under the BearX brand. Identical to that Ravin scope. Elevation is off. I'd have to see a demo before I buy another scope with out altering the scope once sighted in. Let's just say my new residence is now in the the show me state for elevation accuracy from 20-100. I've seen the 50 yard shot videos but never see the 100 yard shot and if there is one did they change he speed ring to make It work. ;)

If there is a video from Ravin that demonstrates 20 through 100 reticle I'd like to see it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Ravin scopes are very nice but seem to be a bit long for the average xbow. I think that is why they have that loooooong scope rail.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Thinking I was set I just assumed the 100 yard reticle would be accurate so I went ahead to shoot off the 100 yard reticle and poof a cloud of dirt, I missed short.
What type of support/bench rest/tripod/whatever were you shooting off of for 100 yards?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yea, is that Gen 1 or a new style scope? I'm not a betting man but have the same exact model under the BearX brand. Identical to that Ravin scope. Elevation is off. I'd have to see a demo before I buy another scope with out altering the scope once sighted in. Let's just say my new residence is now in the the show me state for elevation accuracy from 20-100. I've seen the 50 yard shot videos but never see the 100 yard shot and if there is one did they change he speed ring to make It work. ;)

If there is a video from Ravin that demonstrates 20 through 100 reticle I'd like to see it.
MA3TY on Amazon is the same Chinese factory as the bear and Ravin. I fully tested both bear and MA3TY on my bows. 80-100 was a nightmare. Tried a Ravin on a CP400 with similar results.
Facts, not opinion!

·
Registered
499 Posts
I will say that shooting out to 100 and expecting tight groups requires near match grade arrows. I really like Bloodsport hunters for hunting but I cannot get this tight of groups with them as I can with more expensive arrows. Zombies/.001/ 2" Blazers. Only my opinion but the Zombies are very stiff in comparison. I believe they hold a true line coming off the rail rather "buckling"
However, it first starts with the optics to be accurate subtensions for each yardage at rated speed. If the optics are not calibrated correctly then the best arrow and Indian doesn't matter.

·
Registered
377 Posts

I don't know about the video but I've had 6 Ravin scopes on a R15 and R29 both shooting around 445fps and the scopes are accurate to 100 yards when sighted in properly. I'm not a fan of the Ravin scopes because of quality. The new Vortex yardages in the scope are so small you cant read them in low light. Its light gathering is also bad. I returned mine after having high hopes for a good scope. I guess I shouldn't expect a Zeiss for the price.

·
Registered
499 Posts
You may have had an early model. I have no issues as you describe. Could the numerical be bigger? Yes, but to me then the scope gets noisy.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Vortex at 20-100.:)
See below
Nuff said and documented. I have limited but shared experience to Farm Deer’s comments.

If hunting is your only gig then not a factor. All speed scopes spot on to 60 yards.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know about the video but I've had 6 Ravin scopes on a R15 and R29 both shooting around 445fps and the scopes are accurate to 100 yards when sighted in properly. I'm not a fan of the Ravin scopes because of quality. The new Vortex yardages in the scope are so small you cant read them in low light. Its light gathering is also bad. I returned mine after having high hopes for a good scope. I guess I shouldn't expect a Zeiss for the price.
Appreciate your position and duly noted. No one scope is for everyone.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I have been shooting the new Crossfire II quite a bit and am impressed thus far. I can concur that it is spot on through 100 yards. Only negative thus far is the flip up lens covers need to be longer and/or tighter, especially the ocular one.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I put a Crossfire II Scope on my Muzzle Loading Rifle (not crossbow model) this year. Seems like a good scope for the money.

Reactions: TomOnTheRun
1 - 20 of 546 Posts