Crossbow Nation banner
681 - 700 of 741 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
There are a great many out there that appreciate the CF2. Is it perfect? NO. But! it's pretty good for the value it holds at the price point. For me, it's all about the performance and confidence in the optics. With my Viper and CF2, hold a hand up from 20-100 and I could ventilate it. No need to turn a dial, zoom in/out, just simply shoulder the bow and put a hole in what I am aiming at for $200.00 in optics? SCORE.

TOTR, you know exactly where I'm coming from. Come spring 2021 we will sit at my shooting station together and pound shots downrange with our CF2"s. (y)
FD

·
Registered
14,037 Posts
Problem is Vortex has a history of coming out with crossbows scopes that could have been great but missed doing so and usually by something like using 75 yard parallax instead of listening to what their clients want in a scope. I have the XBR and it almost rang the bell. Almost!

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Problem is Vortex has a history of coming out with crossbows scopes that could have been great but missed doing so and usually by something like using 75 yard parallax instead of listening to what their clients want in a scope. I have the XBR and it almost rang the bell. Almost!
Agreed. I think every scope mfg has something that is "wanted" by the end user. The wants sometimes don't equate to the needs. BTW Robert, I have ordered a Sig BDX to road test. Between you and TX, I just had to concede and get one to see just how impressive it works. I will say, and continue to say, I don't care for having to raise a handheld RF to acquire the target. Yes, I understand you can have preset reticles. But! as TX shared with me, you have the ability to zoom in and out without altering the ballistics/POA whereas other scopes alter the POA when zooming. I'll keep an open mind on this technology and see just how well it works.
FD

·
Registered
Sonoran Desert Arizona.
615 Posts
Agreed. I think every scope mfg has something that is "wanted" by the end user. The wants sometimes don't equate to the needs. BTW Robert, I have ordered a Sig BDX to road test. Between you and TX, I just had to concede and get one to see just how impressive it works. I will say, and continue to say, I don't care for having to raise a handheld RF to acquire the target. Yes, I understand you can have preset reticles. But! as TX shared with me, you have the ability to zoom in and out without altering the ballistics/POA whereas other scopes alter the POA when zooming. I'll keep an open mind on this technology and see just how well it works.
FD
I would love to hear your opinion. Im also interested. I tried the new Garmin and didnt like it. Just too much stuff to fool with.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
HunterB,
If I understand the BDX correctly, the only advantage I see over the CF2 is the fact you can zoom in/out on the target and not alter the reticle calibration. Is this a huge advantage? Well, I guess it depends on the target. For a white tail size animal, I say no. For a ground hog/rabbit..... I see it to be a real advantage. I use my bow to shoot groundhogs in the hay field. Do I have rifles? Yep, but the challenge of staking a groundhog to the ground is awesome.
Time will tell but both Robert and TX has convinced me to give it a try.
Carpe Diem,
FD

·
Registered
Sonoran Desert Arizona.
615 Posts
HunterB,
If I understand the BDX correctly, the only advantage I see over the CF2 is the fact you can zoom in/out on the target and not alter the reticle calibration. Is this a huge advantage? Well, I guess it depends on the target. For a white tail size animal, I say no. For a ground hog/rabbit..... I see it to be a real advantage. I use my bow to shoot groundhogs in the hay field. Do I have rifles? Yep, but the challenge of staking a groundhog to the ground is awesome.
Time will tell but both Robert and TX has convinced me to give it a try.
Carpe Diem,
FD
Isnt the Sig scope glass a higher quality?

·
Registered
14,037 Posts
FD
If you ever get a wild hair to take a rifle and do some shooting at 250 yards out to say 800 you will be good to go though. I use my new RF a lot just scoping out distances while on stand. It is a much better RF than my old one.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #688 ·
To each their own. I think it’s already great Xbow scope. Pleased as punch. Some of you always searching for the holy grail. No way I’m buying a rifle scope to shoot a deer at 20-50 yards on a Xbow. Not required for me to kill a deer. Hell if I can kill a goat at 52 yards with a red dot, all my speed scopes are gonna work just fine and they have already. The best to date in my lineup is my vortex CF2 and I ain’t looking for another anytime soon for my number one Xbow shooter.

Reactions: vortex nation

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Tom,
I would agree that for deer hunting/goat/coyote...... the lethal combination I found so far is the CF2 with the Vendetta RF bow mounted. The reason I say that is only the fact I experienced a deer walking in on me this year, busted me, and I had NO time to lift a RF to range the deer. I simply held the bow to my shoulder, pressed the soft switch, read the yardage and squeezed the trigger. Freezer full!

My interest in the Sig BDX is for other critters. I often target ground hogs and rabbits that are not welcome in the garden. Also, the darn squirrels climb the peach trees and steal the fruit. These shots from the bedroom window can be 50 yards.
Can I use my .22 Mag? Yep, however, I find using the bow challenges my marksmanship. The Sig would allow me to range the critter, calculate temp, wind..... and provide a single reticle for me to be spot on target. Now, that's not to say the Indian will perform to the shot required BUT, I think I'm a pretty fair shot.

I looked hard at the Garmin X1i but found it is nothing more then what I have with the CF2 and Vendetta. However, I would have to sell off my tractor to buy the X1i. I'm keeping my tractor.

So, in my case, I'm not searching for the holy grail. I'm searching for a tool to use my bow year round.

ASMS,
FD

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Did you go with the Vendetta I or II rangefinder?

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Did you go with the Vendetta I or II rangefinder?
Tim,
2. I also found a much more accurate method to calibrate the Vendetta to the scope. I use my 40 yard reticle as RF zero. I then aim at a 60 yard target, 24 x 24, and scan the target top to bottom, left to right. I then adjust the elevation and windage on the Vendetta mount until it scans the entire target. IF I go off the edges of the target I then get the over range bars. I found this to be much more accurate then the setup provided by the mfg.
FD

·
2,753 Posts
I don't guess i fully understand the 75 yard parallax problem. I understand parallax perfectly. I guess i can understand if you want to use full magnification at 30 yds,but were talking a speed/power adjustable scope thats fixed after being set for the speed of your bow. I mean show a target with a robin hood and we will read yep never shoot at the same spot 25 times and see a bunch of likes. So accuracy at close ranges seems to be a non concerne. And with it set at 75 yds the effect of parallax diminishes the closer you get to the yardage its set. Where its needed more than at 20 30 yds.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
I don't guess i fully understand the 75 yard parallax problem. I understand parallax perfectly. I guess i can understand if you want to use full magnification at 30 yds,but were talking a speed/power adjustable scope thats fixed after being set for the speed of your bow. I mean show a target with a robin hood and we will read yep never shoot at the same spot 25 times and see a bunch of likes. So accuracy at close ranges seems to be a non concerne. And with it set at 75 yds the effect of parallax diminishes the closer you get to the yardage its set. Where its needed more than at 20 30 yds.
One word answer: RECREATIONAL
I, as many others, shoot out to 100 yards, some more, on a pure marksmanship desire. Many times people state that you only need 30 yard shots to kill a deer. I wouldn't disagree, most of mine over 42 years have been just that. Then why do most current scopes come with 60 and 80 yard reticles? Because the bow speeds and technology allow us to shot this distance on a recreational basis. I for one enjoy the heck out of stacking up arrows at 100. Some may not. Personal choices.

As far as the parallax in the CF2. Hogwash I say. The scope is crystal clear, excellent low light and a wide FOV.
FD

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #694 ·
Tom,
I would agree that for deer hunting/goat/coyote...... the lethal combination I found so far is the CF2 with the Vendetta RF bow mounted. The reason I say that is only the fact I experienced a deer walking in on me this year, busted me, and I had NO time to lift a RF to range the deer. I simply held the bow to my shoulder, pressed the soft switch, read the yardage and squeezed the trigger. Freezer full!

My interest in the Sig BDX is for other critters. I often target ground hogs and rabbits that are not welcome in the garden. Also, the darn squirrels climb the peach trees and steal the fruit. These shots from the bedroom window can be 50 yards.
Can I use my .22 Mag? Yep, however, I find using the bow challenges my marksmanship. The Sig would allow me to range the critter, calculate temp, wind..... and provide a single reticle for me to be spot on target. Now, that's not to say the Indian will perform to the shot required BUT, I think I'm a pretty fair shot.

I looked hard at the Garmin X1i but found it is nothing more then what I have with the CF2 and Vendetta. However, I would have to sell off my tractor to buy the X1i. I'm keeping my tractor.

So, in my case, I'm not searching for the holy grail. I'm searching for a tool to use my bow year round.

ASMS,
FD
FD, Duly noted to your approach with the hunting deer movement experience. Sometimes guess who wins? The deer. We are in their back yard. :p However, I do get your point and you are onto something with the Vendetta 2 mounted on your scope rail to leveling the odds because deer can sneak up on you with little time to react or limiting movement with your current setup. It's killer. I've seen TXRDX-guy setup and although more encompassing with video and night optics capability the auto range approach is outstanding. Now there is no single right way to execute a hunt or a shot and why we have choices but I like your approach. Others may not and more power to them.

Here is my personal experience with the Vortex CF2. It's my xbow scope of choice. I like it! For hunting to be honest there are lots of good speed scopes that will do the job for me but when I like to shoot long to shoot short the Vortex CF2 is outstanding. Respectfully, to each their own. :cool:

For the following the scope is great but practice, practice, practice at long range is required. Six shots taken, 2nd round pic, first round see the three holes above it. Also, see the fletchings gone on the right arrow grouping. Nuff said. The difference was I made speed adjustment on the 2nd round and it lowered the POI. Easily, corrected. Note: I have never shot this good ever before and the groupings speak for themselves. Note: This was done with a sub $500 xbow. Getting this type of accuracy what more can I ask for and I don't go hunting at 70 yards. I like this scope beyond hunting. I do enjoy recreational long range shooting. If others have an issue with that get over it. It's my property and I'll do as I please. As for setting the right message I have faith in hunters to be concientious. That's their responsibility not mine. Also, I like the optics, and the FOV is clean.

Farm Deer we started this SPEED scope journey seems so long ago and now 35 pages laters, doubters will doubt but those with an open mind I hope you find value with this scope. Some have purposefully hijacked this thread but stay the course. We are fortunate Vortex has targeted the Xbow market with their optics.

I do have a 2021 Xbow reserved for the Vortex CF2 and George we know what that is. ;)

Attachments

Reactions: Farm Deer

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #695 ·
One word answer: RECREATIONAL
I, as many others, shoot out to 100 yards, some more, on a pure marksmanship desire. Many times people state that you only need 30 yard shots to kill a deer. I wouldn't disagree, most of mine over 42 years have been just that. Then why do most current scopes come with 60 and 80 yard reticles? Because the bow speeds and technology allow us to shot this distance on a recreational basis. I for one enjoy the heck out of stacking up arrows at 100. Some may not. Personal choices.

As far as the parallax in the CF2. Hogwash I say. The scope is crystal clear, excellent low light and a wide FOV.
FD
Absolutely!

·
2,753 Posts
I understand shooting for fun i was trying to see why people find fault with parallax set at 75 yds. When busting arrows at 30 yds is as easy as dropping on on the ground.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #697 ·
I understand shooting for fun i was trying to see why people find fault with parallax set at 75 yds. When busting arrows at 30 yds is as easy as dropping on on the ground.
Completely agree. Your are on on point.

Reactions: rt2bowhunter

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Tim,
2. I also found a much more accurate method to calibrate the Vendetta to the scope. I use my 40 yard reticle as RF zero. I then aim at a 60 yard target, 24 x 24, and scan the target top to bottom, left to right. I then adjust the elevation and windage on the Vendetta mount until it scans the entire target. IF I go off the edges of the target I then get the over range bars. I found this to be much more accurate then the setup provided by the mfg.
FD
So you didn’t use the sight in laser after the 10 second count down? Your method seems more difficult than necessary but if you like it and if it works for you then that’s all that counts.

I think this was at the maximum of 75 yards so with a 3” dot so I assume my Vendetta casts about a 4 MOA sight in laser.

IMG_2390.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
The one strong point that benefited me is shooting at distances; 80,90,100 makes shooting at 30,40,50 a walk in the park. It brought my confidence level to a whole new perspective. The CF2 single highhandedly did that for me over all other scopes I have tried (my wife can attest to how many I have, too many in her opinion).
The parallax has been brought up many times in this thread. It does NOT affect my marksmanship. In fact, I have no issue with it whatsoever.

Some may question pic's posted with arrows stacked up at extreme yardages and doubt the "real" ability of the shooter. All I can say is; stand 100 yards from me, put your palm in the air and see if a hole isn't there after one shot! Not braggin, just stating the truth. At the end of the day, this is all for the enjoyment of the technology and the challenge we put upon ourselves. I for one have come to appreciate something an old fart like me can do that gets my juices going. Soccer is out, football long gone, hockey (right) but I can shoulder a crossbow and compete against myself to improve in a sport that allows me to still get excited about sports.

Carpe Diem,
FD

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
So you didn’t use the sight in laser after the 10 second count down? Your method seems more difficult than necessary but if you like it and if it works for you then that’s all that counts.

I think this was at the maximum of 75 yards so with a 3” dot so I assume my Vendetta casts about a 4 MOA sight in laser.

View attachment 187867
No, I did not use the laser for final adjustment. I did use it to get on paper.
Yes, takes a bit more time but has proven to be more accurate. IMO
Mine only reads out to 72 yards.

681 - 700 of 741 Posts