Crossbow Nation banner
701 - 720 of 741 Posts

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
I use my 40 yard reticle as RF zero. I then aim at a 60 yard target, 24 x 24, and scan the target top to bottom, left to right. I then adjust the elevation and windage on the Vendetta mount until it scans the entire target. IF I go off the edges of the target I then get the over range bars.
Did you go back and see where the laser actually hit on your target to see if it aligned with the ranging beam on the scan mode? My version 1 will scan but I have to continuously hold the pressure pad down while doing so.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
The laser was close but slightly off, left. The method I use puts it spot on in both E&W.
Mine also scans if the button is continuously pressed. I'm not so sure what the difference is between the I and II.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Back in 2017 Joe and I were working on what distance the Vendetta would range between trees. Based on what he found, I made a cardboard cutout and was testing mine at various distances. Originally I thought the beam divergence was oval from an online picture) so I used a 24” x 12” cutout and used that for my tests.

Now I think the beam divergence could be round - makes more sense. I even tried to set up my trail cam at night thinking I could pick up the pattern of the ranging beam off my garage door but couldn’t. :(

I remember contacting Leupold to get the Vendetta’s beam divergence angle but I don’t recall them knowing . My Leupold RX-1200i is 1.31 MRAD so that’s about 4.7” at 100 yards -sort of a pee hole. I think the Vendetta is a tad larger.

I’ve still got some cardboard sheets for turkey patterning so I think I’ll make a 12” circle and see how far I can range thru it. I remember ranging a dinker 6 point one time and got several readings at 59 yards so it works for me.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Back in 2017 Joe and I were working on what distance the Vendetta would range between trees. Based on what he found, I made a cardboard cutout and was testing mine at various distances. Originally I thought the beam divergence was oval from an online picture) so I used a 24” x 12” cutout and used that for my tests.

Now I think the beam divergence could be round - makes more sense. I even tried to set up my trail cam at night thinking I could pick up the pattern of the ranging beam off my garage door but couldn’t. :(

I remember contacting Leupold to get the Vendetta’s beam divergence angle but I don’t recall them knowing . My Leupold RX-1200i is 1.31 MRAD so that’s about 4.7” at 100 yards -sort of a pee hole. I think the Vendetta is a tad larger.

I’ve still got some cardboard sheets for turkey patterning so I think I’ll make a 12” circle and see how far I can range thru it. I remember ranging a dinker 6 point one time and got several readings at 59 yards so it works for me.

I just simply calibrated on a 24x24 target at 60 yards and that works perfect for me with the Vortex CF2 scope.
It is MO the most user friendly combination for the price. Shoulder the bow, press the button, read the yardage, choose the appropriate pin and squeeze. Result, dead animal. Works for me!

I have a Sig BDX on it's way but my goto setup is the VII and CF2 at this point. I'll say it again, I do not care to have to raise a handheld RF to get the exact yardage and then raise the bow. To many moves in my hunting style and conditions. To each there own. I'm interested in the BDX for target shooting more than hunting. The technology is very cool and I'm interested in what it can and cannot do.

Until proven different, I'll stick with the CF2 and VII. It works great!
And thanks to TX guy for educating me on the BDX system. Thank You!
FD

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Shoulder the bow, press the button, read the yardage, choose the appropriate pin and squeeze. Result, dead animal. Works for me!
Bingo!

·
2,760 Posts
I ended up setting a pop can on a tripod at 70 yds. Keep adjusting until i got a reflection from the laser while my crosshair was on the target. I know that's not how the directions said but my thinking was why not intersect at the max yardage. I still had trouble in thick woods open woods and fields it worked great to pretty good, it is very lacking in even the least amount of fog. When your hunting in a situation taylered for the vendetta its handy as a 3rd arm.

Back to the pop can i could accuracy range it setting on the tripod everytime. But then i set obstacles at closer ranges and close to my line of sight. I would get false readings . This was confirmed in the woods hunting. If the deer was in a open area then it would work great. But shooting where you had a hole or narrow lane to shoot often times it wasn't accurate.

Compared to either my Leupold or Leica rangefinder that would still range the pop can with the same obstructions and worked much better in fog. Lead me to think they need a stronger narrower beam if they did this imo they would have something great.

Not meant to upset just my findings using it where i hunt.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I ended up setting a pop can on a tripod at 70 yds. Keep adjusting until i got a reflection from the laser while my crosshair was on the target. I know that's not how the directions said but my thinking was why not intersect at the max yardage. I still had trouble in thick woods open woods and fields it worked great to pretty good, it is very lacking in even the least amount of fog. When your hunting in a situation taylered for the vendetta its handy as a 3rd arm.

Back to the pop can i could accuracy range it setting on the tripod everytime. But then i set obstacles at closer ranges and close to my line of sight. I would get false readings . This was confirmed in the woods hunting. If the deer was in a open area then it would work great. But shooting where you had a hole or narrow lane to shoot often times it wasn't accurate.

Compared to either my Leupold or Leica rangefinder that would still range the pop can with the same obstructions and worked much better in fog. Lead me to think they need a stronger narrower beam if they did this imo they would have something great.

Not meant to upset just my findings using it where i hunt.
I see. Is your unit the model 1 or 2? My process with a model 2 works great at all yardages; 20-100.
I found at first that the four little screws securing the unit to the mount would loosen from the shock of the bow. I chased this issue twice and then bought some orange permatex locktite. Since, it's been locked in and has not drifted nor provided bogus readings.
Maybe I got a Tuesday unit? LOL
FD

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
I found at first that the four little screws securing the unit to the mount would loosen from the shock of the bow.
When I had the 2 version, I always thought the bottom surface of those 4 screws could be a little uneven. I was thinking of screwing one at a time into a nut, clamp it in a vice, and then mill the ends flat so that they would mate up more flush against the flat surfaces better. And just back the nut off to clean up the end of the threads.

I sold the 2 before I got around to doing it.

·
2,760 Posts
I see. Is your unit the model 1 or 2? My process with a model 2 works great at all yardages; 20-100.
I found at first that the four little screws securing the unit to the mount would loosen from the shock of the bow. I chased this issue twice and then bought some orange permatex locktite. Since, it's been locked in and has not drifted nor provided bogus readings.
FD
I didn't have any trouble with it drifting. It would just read objects close to the line of sight before the target. I saw this both on my home range after i set up stuff closer than my target,and in the field ranging deer. I had the 2. My buddy had the 1 on a vertical bow and saw the same thing while hunting. Now let me be clear in the yard or open areas it worked great. And if you hunt open woods or fields you might not never see it. Just be advised if your hunting and get a weird reading make sure there's nothing that it might read before the deer.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Tim,
2. I also found a much more accurate method to calibrate the Vendetta to the scope. I use my 40 yard reticle as RF zero. I then aim at a 60 yard target, 24 x 24, and scan the target top to bottom, left to right. I then adjust the elevation and windage on the Vendetta mount until it scans the entire target. IF I go off the edges of the target I then get the over range bars. I found this to be much more accurate then the setup provided by the mfg.
FD
I liked Farm Deer’s idea on panning a target so today I made another test. I cut a 12” hole and set it at 10 yards and started panning with my R10. I found that the Vendetta ranging beam doesn’t align with the laser when I sighted it in (top of 1st pic) - ranging seems skewed to the right to in order to hit where it did.

I simply panned while in scan mode and it appears to cast an 8” ranging beam around 10 yards or so - the red lines for R10 at the top is where the distance would change from 20 yards (inside the 12” circle) to 10 yards (touching the edge of the cardboard) using the scope’s crosshair.Seems like that Vendetta is a bit off based on the sight in laser so I’ll send it in to Leupold after the season.

The Vendetta on my Deathstalker (bottom of 1st pic) seemed to be right on the money. So my math tells me is if I range thru the center of the 12” hole and hit the garage door 20 yards away, and then pan 2” to the left and 2” to the right before the Vendetta reads 10 yards, I have to believe the beam divergence is roughy 8” in diameter at 10 yards.

I have a 3rd Vendetta I so I may swap it tomorrow on the R10 and see if it lines up any better.

IMG_1248.JPG
IMG_1256.JPG

·
Registered
Sonoran Desert Arizona.
617 Posts
FD
I haven't seen a Vendetta range past 75 yds. That's the problem with them.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
I did get 77 yards out of one of mine.

Originally they were intended to mount on a vertical bow so they probably figured 75 yards was sufficient.

The beam divergence seems to be pretty wide compared to a rangefinder that can range out to 1000 yards and beyond. Being that wide, the beam probably gets spread out more and a bit “thin” after a certain yardage and may not have the ability to reflect back sufficiently to the receiver.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The stock scope on my cp400 is 4" low and 4" right @ 100yds. Took 10 shots out of the box using cp400 matched arrows. Dead bull at 20 then 50. It took 5 shots @ 20yds then 4 at 50 to lock down. Only shot 1 at 100.....dark-30. It might be locked @ 100. I'm hunting in LA now so I'll check this week. The reticle appears exactly like early Ravin so I THINK it is. I was planning on upgrading, but, not now.

This was accomplished using nothing but a table and the "bipod" stirrup. I'll use my lead sled this week and report back.

The supplied cp400 scope is far, FAR superior to the stock scope that came on my Sniper 370. Sniper stock scope was a level above junk, but, did zero to 40yds.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Well, I retract. My Vendetta only sees 72-74 yards. My current Vortex CF2 goes to 100. When I desire to shoot to 100 then I use my hand held to verify any yardages past 70.
I don't "depend" on my Vendetta for target shooting per say, I use it in hunting situations so being limited to 70 is okay with me. I never shoot at large game past 55-60 max depending on the conditions, arrow used and shot angle to the animal.

I will be testing my new Sig BDX over my current setup. The only HUGE difference I see is the ability to zoom from 2.5- 8 power and NOT affect the subtentions in the SIG whereas I cannot do that with the CF2. The speed dial, 3.9 power in my case, cannot be changed without affecting the reticles. For "target practice", The Sig can be setup to mirror the CF2 with regards to reticle layout, ballistics, BUT, I can then zoom in and out and not alter my subtentions. For a "hunting" condition I will allow the RF to position one reticle dot for exact yardage to the animal. My "Zero" setup in the Sig will be 30 yards. This way if an animal comes in close and I cannot afford to lift my hand then I can still remain accurate by slight hold over/under for 20-40.

I wish the SIG had an integrated RF in the scope rather hand held. That would be optimal under all conditions. (similar to the Garmin X1i)

Boys and their toys,
FD

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
BTW. I bought the SIG BDX from Borkholer Archery when they had the Black Friday sale. $299.00 for the KILO1000 Combo.(y)
Called Nolan and what a guy. Took my info and processed the order.
Extremely happy with the service and delivery.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
BTW. I bought the SIG BDX from Borkholer Archery when they had the Black Friday sale. $299.00 for the KILO1000 Combo.(y)
Called Nolan and what a guy. Took my info and processed the order.
Extremely happy with the service and delivery.
Doesn’t that RF have a LCD display versus the LED readout for some of their other models? Just wondering how easy or difficult it is to see in low light?

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Doesn’t that RF have a LCD display versus the LED readout for some of their other models? Just wondering how easy or difficult it is to see in low light?
I can't comment yet, don't know yet, but will.
Robert or TX might be able to ring in.

·
Registered
14,066 Posts
I am using the 1400 model and have no problems with it but I never used a RF in my life before I could see decent at first light anyway. If I can't see a buck well enough to count his points at least then knowing the range to him will not help me at all as I will not be shooting him. I have passed up several large bodied bucks at the crack of dawn as I couldn't tell their point count even using my Swarovski binos.

·
2,760 Posts
Got a question, does it matter if you can read the yardage in the RF. Doesn't it transfer the info to the scope and the proper aiming dot lights up. Talking about the Sig

701 - 720 of 741 Posts