Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all!

More waxing fodder. One, any suggestions on what I might use to clean the wax off the limbs etc that sprays off when I shoot? Its hot down here in Florida and the wax gets very soft and is subject to leave the string when the bow gets shot. I am usually lazy about bow maintenance, but I am getting a lot of wax all over the limbs lately and its even drawing my lazy attention.

Secondly, people say not to was the serving because the wax can get into the trigger mechanism, but if you wax the rail, it gets on the serving and hence gets drawn back into the trigger mechanism. So, is there a way to clean out the possible wax buildup in there without disassembling the bow?

Typically, me being a neophyte and all, I just wax the dog poop out of everything...cams, servings, rail...

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
When applying wax do it lightly and burnish it in with either your fingers or a piece of leather. I have taken a hair drier to wax build ups on the limbs, get the wax soft and rub it off with a paper towel.

·
Registered
13,225 Posts
I also use the hair dryer to liquidify (yea, I know. Not really a word :rolleyes:) the wax applied to the string and cables so I can rub in what I can and rub off the excess.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't need the hair dryer here in Florida! It is hot enough outside already to melt the wax! Although I will try blowing some hair dryer air into the trigger mechanism just to see what might drip out...unless someone tells me how stupid that is.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
I think Scorpion Venom may be the way to go in that heat, Elno.
It is liquefied and absorbs into the string very well.
Rail lube works good too.
We have not tried the arrow release as of yet.
I believe you can buy the bottles individually as well.
Cheers.

Reactions: Elno Lewis

·
2,720 Posts
Not to be rude but if your getting that much wax slung off the string and sticking to the limbs your using way too much string wax. Use alcohol to remove the wax from the limbs heat from a hair dryer is not good. Alcohol on a rag and wipe it off.

Reactions: Elno Lewis

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Not to be rude but if your getting that much wax slung off the string and sticking to the limbs your using way too much string wax. Use alcohol to remove the wax from the limbs heat from a hair dryer is not good. Alcohol on a rag and wipe it off.
You are not heating up the limbs, just the wax, It takes a few seconds to do.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't think you were being rude at all. I asked a question and shouldn't be offended by the answers that come my way. I might be waxing too much. I wax every 12 to 15 shots. Is that too much?

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
I didn't think you were being rude at all. I asked a question and shouldn't be offended by the answers that come my way. I might be waxing too much. I wax every 12 to 15 shots. Is that too much?
This is just me but I have owned several different brands of crossbows over the years and I only wax my strings when I see then starting to "fuzz" up and then I do it lightly and burnish the wax into the strings. I do wax my servings but once again VERY lightly and rubbed in well. I have never used rail lube or wax on any of my crossbows. I have some strings with well over a 1000 shots on them that are still usable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts