Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I just found this website today, what a great wealth of info. I am living in South Texas and this will be my first year hunting with a crossbow. I settled on a PSE Viper Copperhead Crossbow to start off with. I have tried to use a compound bow for years but I have an arthritis called Anklyosing Spondilitis that just makes it to difficult to shoot a upright bow.
I am looking for learning so much. This weapon has been alot of fun to use. I won't be giving up my rifles, but this will give me alot more time outside!!! Feel free to check out my other site at www.camospace.comtwo_guys_outdoors

Thanks
Jake

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Welcome to the site,I did a lot of hunting down your way ,Gods country.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Howdy Neighbor! Looks like we Texans are taking over! I do alot of hunting and fishing in South Texas myself. Good to see you here. Can't wait to learn more about you and your adventures. Pssst! What county?

·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
South Texas

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome, Guide Girl I was watching some of your hunting stuff in youtube last night, great videos. I live in Bexar county, but hunt up outside of Medina. Last year I also had the opportunity to also hunt on a place out in Mertzon (west of San Angelo). I moved down here three years ago from Michigan and the hunting is different down here (better I believe). The whole crossbow thing vs Michigan was really alot easier. I see alot of cool areas here to hunt, but it costs a fortune to hunt here.
Thanks for the welcome!
JakeinTX

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
If your hunting in Medina county, your in my backyard. What did you hunt?
There's so many choices! White tail, Exotics and of course, the best hogs around.;) You know, the kind that will chase you.

·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Guide Girl

I have been hunting for the most part out a a lease called Mountain Creek Outfitters. They are ok, I have only taken some hogs there. They have been letting me place my trail cam out there and I have viewed a couple of nice bucks and some elk. Still no axis out there because of all the presure. They are not hunting the back part this season so I may head back there. I go up during this time of year, no other hunters and lots of game. If you check out www.camospace.com/two_guys_outdoors you will see pics and video. Also the other half of the hunt group. His father in Law owns 4000 acres out in Leaky. Whitetail are off limits, but he dosn;t care if we knock down hogs, turkey, coyotes or any of the exotics out their. Last year they shot almost all of the Spanish goats off the place to get rid of them, but a few survived. He has Aoudad, Blackbuck and Elk out there along with fallow. It's low fenced with feeders so we are going to hunt and film alot out there this year.

Thanks
Jake

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
You related to Dominick? I watched one of the youtube vids, and sure looks like Leakey! I love that country. Hunted the Big Spring Ranch for 90 days, in 1998 for wild sheep and hogs and varmint removal for Oma Bell while she was still alive. I have a Mossy Oak story to tell you. Be careful. Not sure you should mention crossbow to them either.
Here's a picture of Tack Robinson of Mossy Oak filming and guiding me on a turkey hunt last year for a hunt to be aired on HUNTING THE COUNTRY. Notice what he's doing? It was such a wonderful experience. NOT! He wouldn't let me use a crossbow either. So far, nothing that has come out of that mans mouth was the truth. Very good used car salesman.
I'll PM you the story if your interested in who your dealing with.

Attachments

·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mossy Oak

Hi Guide Girl,

What we do for Mossy Oak is just show up at retail events (Bass Pro this weekend) TTHA a few weeks ago, etc. We just basically talk Mossy Oak. The name ProStaff is overkill in my opinion. PM me, I would love to talk, we deal alot with another guy from Mossy Oak.
Jake

·
342 Posts
Guide Girl said:
Howdy Neighbor! Looks like we Texans are taking over! I do alot of hunting and fishing in South Texas myself. Good to see you here. Can't wait to learn more about you and your adventures. Pssst! What county?
Welcome!!!
But in all honesty, I am going to have to mount up some California people to take all you Texans on....just kidding of course. I have a brother in law that lives in Helotes, so I come around there once a year or so.

·
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Target Hogs

Well Target Hogs,

From The Republic of Texas to The State of Kalifornia welcome....The more you bring in from Kali the better. Next time you are headed to Helotes, let us know and maybe we can put together a South Texas hog hunt or a Javelina hunt. That would be a blast!

Jake

1 - 12 of 12 Posts