Crossbow Nation banner
2121 - 2140 of 2200 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
85° and not much activity on the camera, but I'm in the woods with the new Ravin R29X. Dead calm so I'm just sitten ere sweaten.
View attachment 206550
I went this morning and was soaked in sweat by the time I got to my ladder stand. No way I am hunting when it is 85 or over anymore. Looking forward to the rut as it should be cool by then.
How many Mosquitoes did you harvest?

·
Premium Member
TenPoint HAVOC RS440
185 Posts
I saw a few but they stay away from me pretty much as my clothes are all treated with permethrin and it will kill them.
Never heard of permethrin. Thanks for the tip! In Minnesota, they were runner up for the State bird! They can drain a small child in a matter of minutes in the deep woods!

Willie

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Never heard of permethrin. Thanks for the tip! In Minnesota, they were runner up for the State bird! They can drain a small child in a matter of minutes in the deep woods!

Willie
permethin is useless, never put it on your skin. only has severe side effects and does nothing to insects
only thing it does to moscitos is that it hides your scent, and anything living will smell it too
if your getting eaten by moscitos, it means you smell as they hunt by scent. try not to sweat too much or wear thicker clothes and net

·
12,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,125 ·
Way hot. Million mosquitoes once you got on the ground. 100% DEET and they were licking it off and laughing.
Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Carnivore Grass

·
12,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,127 ·
Looks like you strangled the poor animal ... :oops:
Anyone ... can killem with a crossbow. I just activate the Wildcatter in me, and come screaming down from above to be sure the deer has it's head up. It takes real skill to ninja drop outta a tree, lasso and bring one to the table "mano a cervid" to the death. :p :sneaky: If you've ever been on the back of a live deer you'd know it feels like "living in a powder keg and giving off sparks." 😂;)
Plant Human body Terrestrial plant Fawn Terrestrial animal

• Haha
Reactions: jarhed

·
Registered
379 Posts
permethin is useless, never put it on your skin. only has severe side effects and does nothing to insects
only thing it does to moscitos is that it hides your scent, and anything living will smell it too
if your getting eaten by moscitos, it means you smell as they hunt by scent. try not to sweat too much or wear thicker clothes and net
Really? Then why do the ticks that get on my pant legs sprayed with permethrin die after about 30 seconds. You never spray it on your skin, spray your clothes, tent, hunting blind and let it dry before using. Please tell me how not to sweat doing anything hunting related, I can’t float to my tree stand I have to hump all my gear there.

·
12,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,129 ·
Ravin first blood review ... Strictly from a layman deer killer's perspective. Nothing technical here ...lol
#1. While it wasn't anything I specifically focused on, there was a generally more comfortable feel in the treestand. It just wasn't as crowded in there. More room in the Jetsled, and even in the backseat of the truck. Nice!
#2. Along the same line, the R29X was more nibble in the tree when doing some "visualization" practicing and when moving it around as the deer circled in the woods. There was a 25' tree about 8' out, directly in front of me with a few leafed twigs blocking certain shots.(See photo#1) (I since took my pole saw and cleared those top problem twigs.) The R29X maneuvered around lithely.
#3. Recocking and reloading? The small & narrow platform allowed the bow to be quickly moved down to the platform for this operation. I never lowered my Scorpyd for recocking because the width risked that deadly mechanical "clink" of the cams striking the metal treestand rails. Again, the smaller size was a real asset.
#4. Bow didn't strike me as being at all loud.
#5. Very nice trigger.
#6. There's no way to quickly load an arrow and be completely safe. This is because there's no rail to steer the arrow back onto the cocked string.
#7. Along that line, the funky need to preload the trigger box with the crank to release it, then remove the crank to push the trigger box forward onto the string, then reinstall the crank to cock the bow actually went fairly smoothly. I solved the "where to put the crank" after the first switch preload by sticking the handle in my mouth ...lol I looked around, considered laying it in my lap and every option screamed "gonna fall banging and clanging" to me. Took one nanosecond to adjust the balance and "problem solved." It was right there to go back on the stud for cocking. Kinda like a pirate with a cutlass in my mouth ... lol
#8. The location of the safety, and the tiny bit of movement needed to switch it off, makes "feeling" for it while in the scope not intuitive. Not a big deal, but will require some practice focusing on smoothing out the procedure.
#9. The Vortex Viper XBR 2.5-10x44mm is just simply beautiful. Nearly perfect crossbow scope with factory reset 30 yard parallax.
#10. Still have my beloved snap-on nocks. Takes two hands to snap the arrow onto the string, but there's peace and harmony when you hear and feel that "snap." Everything around "dry-fire" immediately exits your subconscious mind. Funny, we had a guy with a Ten Point qualifying for a DMP last week, just your average hunter type. Good shooter, shot well. He was talking about "that nock with all the groves in it" and something about the capture nock he had on his 3 arrows. He had no clue that he was talking about Omni & Alpha nocks. THAT's your above average shooter who's an average bow hunter. Hunters know there's some issue with his gear, but they're clueless about the what, where and why of it all.
#11. The decocking was a nice feature. After years of the discharge target falderal being part of my deer killing operation, just part of the cleanup before loading out and leaving; this was surprisingly pleasant. Addition by subtraction. Or, you don't know what you're missing until you experience it...lol

Overall, love the R29X. Fast, powerful, lithe and a deer killer. First experience has been a great experience. Glad I made the purchase and glad I jumped on it while Wyvern still had them to sell. I'm looking forward to getting out with it again, hopefully next week. That's if the Reveal cell camera shows some daytime activity.
Tire Wheel Plant Bicycle tire Vehicle
Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire Grass Wood

·
Registered
14,913 Posts

Willie
You can buy Sawyers permethrin spray at most Walmarts in the hunting section but it is fairly expensive that way. I bought a quart bottle of 36.8% permethrin off Amazon several years back. It takes about 1/3 ounce to mix a quart spray bottle full of it. I even use it around the house/garage, etc for bug control and still have at least half of it left. I figure a dollars worth lasts about a year making my own.

·
12,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,132 ·
You can buy Sawyers permethrin spray at most Walmarts in the hunting section but it is fairly expensive that way. I bought a quart bottle of 36.8% permethrin off Amazon several years back. It takes about 1/3 ounce to mix a quart spray bottle full of it. I even use it around the house/garage, etc for bug control and still have at least half of it left. I figure a dollars worth lasts about a year making my own.
Amen ... I did the same. Must have the bottle for a decade now and it's still half full. Mix it up in a one gallon spray tank. Soak my gaiters in it, I mean SOAK!...lol Let them dry for a few days and ticks have been pretty much a thing of the past. Have a couple pair of 100% cotton lighter weight Carhartt cargo pants I use early season that I spray pretty heavy too. I don't soak them but wet the face down quite a bit. Knock wood, haven't had a tick bite in years. I have a couple yellow spray bottles from Sawyer that I refill out of the spray tank batch. I keep one in the door pocket of my truck.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Really? Then why do the ticks that get on my pant legs sprayed with permethrin die after about 30 seconds. You never spray it on your skin, spray your clothes, tent, hunting blind and let it dry before using. Please tell me how not to sweat doing anything hunting related, I can’t float to my tree stand I have to hump all my gear there.
im gonna assume that you never heard of study about the amounts of dog shit there is in your dinner plate from your shoes

must have been some weak ass ticks

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Huh, what are you talking about.
i lived in forest for few years, once hiked 21km(13miles)with 17kg(37.5lb) backbag and build camp twice, was pretty warm day and sweat like a pig
once i stopped i just wore thicker sweatter untill i got my net in place, my daily carry was only few kg so not much sweat there
never used any chemicals and i really do not like blood suckers at all

·
12,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,137 ·
Funny ... but more apropos than we might think...lol ;) Back in the 1970s when I first went deer hunting up in the Catskill Mountains, there was literally an army of New York City guys who knew absolutely nothing about the woods or hunting in the woods. There wasn't a room available for 50 miles. The farmer where we leased 750 acres told us how the cops caught two Italians from the city with two of his neighbor's horned GOATS strapped to their car! Back then before the woke mob started to evolve you had to display your kill outside the vehicle ... so you could be harassed by F&W.

·
Premium Member
TenPoint HAVOC RS440
185 Posts
Amen ... I did the same. Must have the bottle for a decade now and it's still half full. Mix it up in a one gallon spray tank. Soak my gaiters in it, I mean SOAK!...lol Let them dry for a few days and ticks have been pretty much a thing of the past. Have a couple pair of 100% cotton lighter weight Carhartt cargo pants I use early season that I spray pretty heavy too. I don't soak them but wet the face down quite a bit. Knock wood, haven't had a tick bite in years. I have a couple yellow spray bottles from Sawyer that I refill out of the spray tank batch. I keep one in the door pocket of my truck.
Hey guys.... is this the stuff? Amazon.com : Agrisel Zone Plus PERMETHRIN (32 oz Bottle) (36.8%) : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Willie

2121 - 2140 of 2200 Posts