Crossbow Nation banner

1341 - 1360 of 1394 Posts

·
10,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,341 ·
All for naught ... had 3 deer graze along the far side of the corn stubble field 150 yards away. Outta range, even for a Scorpyd. ;) 4:00pm until 11:00pm in a tent with no venison to show for it. Leaf-out has begun and bait leverage has been lost. Just too many other food sources coming into play.:(

·
10,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,343 ·
First....a 70 pager going! Moon finally has competition :) 2...you are still deer hunting in April? Trying to get 2 for 1 deal?
Moon ... has no "competition," he only has Aspirers. He's the Master Poe and everyone else is a grasshopper. :p 😂

Funny thing is yesterday afternoon I setup my 270 Surroundview blind on the opposite side of that cornfield. Figured my partner and I can tandem them by sitting both blinds together. Figured the deer would see it and avoid it since it was new increasing the odds of them coming down the west side of the field. The [email protected]$#%Ðs walked right by the new blind not 20' away!
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
that's the typical scenario.. walk a half a mile I crossed sandbur and brierfield to get to the stand that you spent eight hours Brushing in to hide from the pesky Critters, look back across the field at your pickup truck to see a whole herd of deer standing there staring at it 40 yards from the front window

Sent from my LGLS885 using Tapatalk

·
10,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,346 ·
Duke, make sure you keep your mask on😊
Actually ... I always wear a black ski mask to cover my pearly white mug. In warm weather I wear a mesh mask. Surprisingly, I've found putting your hood up is quite effective for keeping deer from seeing you. Guess it breaks up that familiar silhouette.

·
10,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,348 ·

·
10,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,349 ·

·
Registered
Ventilator 175 Extreme Scorpyd Velocity 165
402 Posts
Look forward to this thread every morning. Kind of feel empty when you pull an all nighter and don't post early enough. LOL

·
10,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,351 ·
Look forward to this thread every morning. Kind of feel empty when you pull an all nighter and don't post early enough. LOL
I'm still ... trying to figure out how those 3 deer knew I was in that blind. Assuming they knew. Unless it was just bad luck. Five hours in the blind before they showed up so they couldn't have seen me go in. Besides, I hug the opposite property line to avoid detection accessing the blind. I had a good wind in my face. They casually scent checked when they came directly across from me, but there's no way they could have winded me. Unless they picked up the scent from me installing the 270 Surroundview which was right next to them. Then they assigned the scent to the far blind I was in? I recall that they didn't scent check anymore after they passed straight across, so evidently they're survivors from previous kills and know the existing blind can be fatal. With 40 dead deer on that little farm any deer left has surely witnessed loss of compadres. :p😂

Three years ago I had a doe who seemed to have a 6th sense when I was in a blind. Even at night with full shoot through mesh down, she would stand out of range and stare for 30 minutes, then just turn and walk away. I swear they pickup a heat signature or something. :unsure: :rolleyes:

A while back I had a Tree Checker doe that had 2 or 3 traveling companions. She busted me every single time I shot this one treestand. She'd start checking trees about 75 yards off the bait leverage. Killed her and 4 of her friends after the season at night with a rifle when the professional component of the deer management program kicked in. She knew to check trees in daylight but skipped that precaution at night. :p;)

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I'm still ... trying to figure out how those 3 deer knew I was in that blind. Assuming they knew. Unless it was just bad luck. Five hours in the blind before they showed up so they couldn't have seen me go in. Besides, I hug the opposite property line to avoid detection accessing the blind. I had a good wind in my face. They casually scent checked when they came directly across from me, but there's no way they could have winded me. Unless they picked up the scent from me installing the 270 Surroundview which was right next to them. Then they assigned the scent to the far blind I was in? I recall that they didn't scent check anymore after they passed straight across, so evidently they're survivors from previous kills and know the existing blind can be fatal. With 40 dead deer on that little farm any deer left has surely witnessed loss of compadres. :p😂

Three years ago I had a doe who seemed to have a 6th sense when I was in a blind. Even at night with full shoot through mesh down, she would stand out of range and stare for 30 minutes, then just turn and walk away. I swear they pickup a heat signature or something. :unsure: :rolleyes:

A while back I had a Tree Checker doe that had 2 or 3 traveling companions. She busted me every single time I shot this one treestand. She'd start checking trees about 75 yards off the bait leverage. Killed her and 4 of her friends after the season at night with a rifle when the professional component of the deer management program kicked in. She knew to check trees in daylight but skipped that precaution at night. :p;)
View attachment 196436 View attachment 196437
It's not the situation with you but once a deer pegs a hunter in a stand they are a different animal at that point. I've had it happen and watch them skirt the stand the rest of year outside of bow distance and sometimes even out of gun range. The dumb ones die young LOL

·
10,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,353 ·
It's not the situation with you but once a deer pegs a hunter in a stand they are a different animal at that point. I've had it happen and watch them skirt the stand the rest of year outside of bow distance and sometimes even out of gun range. The dumb ones die young LOL
I was ... sitting in a stand in the open woods late season over a decade ago and watched a column of deer weave through single file, zigging and zagging, avoiding every unoccupied treestand that was in the woods! At first I wondered why they would walk such a circuitous course since there weren't any distinct obstructions or terrain. Then it dawned on me, they were 55yds to 75yds from anywhere that there was a treestand. It was like they were traveling through a minefield where the mines have been found and plotted.

Even naïve, uneducated deer get smart quickly. Really smart deer that have survived multiple encounters with hunters can be nearly impossible to kill.

·
10,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,354 ·

·
2,281 Posts
I was talking to Mom the other day about voter ID. And i ask her if Grandma ever had any ID and she said no never did. If i recall she made it through the 3rd grade made it through the great depression and lived to see 100 years old. Her dad died when she was young and had to work the farm as a young girl. I remember her telling about walking to the store to trade eggs for groceries. She come from a different time and worked hard to have a really good life and a nice home. What a shame if she went to vote and was turned away.

I'm for voter ID in this day and age. But still know there's those that earned the right to vote. That might not have that piece of paper with their picture on it, and not know how to get one, and could sure use a drink of water standing in line. IMO we need more of those kinda people.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Actually ... I always wear a black ski mask to cover my pearly white mug. In warm weather I wear a mesh mask. Surprisingly, I've found putting your hood up is quite effective for keeping deer from seeing you. Guess it breaks up that familiar silhouette.
View attachment 196392
Were you not in Pulp Fiction?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I was ... sitting in a stand in the open woods late season over a decade ago and watched a column of deer weave through single file, zigging and zagging, avoiding every unoccupied treestand that was in the woods! At first I wondered why they would walk such a circuitous course since there weren't any distinct obstructions or terrain. Then it dawned on me, they were 55yds to 75yds from anywhere that there was a treestand. It was like they were traveling through a minefield where the mines have been found and plotted.

Even naïve, uneducated deer get smart quickly. Really smart deer that have survived multiple encounters with hunters can be nearly impossible to kill.
Some say that whitetail deer have a very short memory span, some even say about 24 hours. I disagree. Due to limited area and terrain, I usually have to use the same tree for a treestand, year after year. Often times, early in the season, I have had does come close, and for absolutely no reason look straight up at me. Certain factors have been ruled out, and I conclude that those deer somewhere in the past have associated danger by that tree. Possibly being with a group of deer the previous year, when I shot one of the group. For maybe thirty consecutive years when I had access to hunt a forty acre woods, Every year I would purposely move to a different tree, sometimes, only fifteen yards away. I never had any issues with deer by doing that. I totally agree that deer that have encounters with hunters, get smart real quick.

·
10,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,358 ·
Some say that whitetail deer have a very short memory span, some even say about 24 hours. I disagree. Due to limited area and terrain, I usually have to use the same tree for a treestand, year after year. Often times, early in the season, I have had does come close, and for absolutely no reason look straight up at me. Certain factors have been ruled out, and I conclude that those deer somewhere in the past have associated danger by that tree. Possibly being with a group of deer the previous year, when I shot one of the group. For maybe thirty consecutive years when I had access to hunt a forty acre woods, Every year I would purposely move to a different tree, sometimes, only fifteen yards away. I never had any issues with deer by doing that. I totally agree that deer that have encounters with hunters, get smart real quick.
I equate it ... to you having an encounter with a rattlesnake or cobra in your yard. Most likely you'll remember that spot for the rest of your life. A deer's home range is the same as your yard. The deer sees a buddy die by a stand, or even busts a hunter in that stand, like you avoiding being bitten by marking that snake encounter, the deer will remember the spot.

This is especially common with poor hunters getting busted over bait. Once deer equate "that" bait with danger all bait becomes dangerous. That's why I tell new participants in deer management programs to kill as many as you can as soon as you can. Even good hunters doing everything right will suffer the consequences of bad hunters on the surrounding properties teaching deer the ropes.

That's why the professionals hate going into a program with a recreational hunter component or where recreational hunters have been at the deer for 3 months beforehand. The nimrods have the deer smart as hades already making it ten times harder to kill them.

I shot in a community a few years ago where the guy in charge of the program had his gombas on a permit that allowed night shooting. Those characters had the deer educated not only in the daylight and so friggen smart that they were checking trees even in the pitch dark! They were Rhodes Scholars of survival...lol

·
10,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,359 ·

·
10,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,360 ·

1341 - 1360 of 1394 Posts