Crossbow Nation banner
1781 - 1800 of 1827 Posts

·
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,781 ·
The Ravin R500 Ballistic Data ... pretty amazing that at 100 yards your arrow is still traveling at 440fps and carrying 172ke! That's faster and more powerful at 100 yards than 99% of the BOWS on earth at 3 feet!...lol That's vertical bows AND crossbows.

·
Registered
14,037 Posts
The Ravin R500 Ballistic Data ... pretty amazing that at 100 yards your arrow is still traveling at 440fps and carrying 172ke! That's faster and more powerful at 100 yards than 99% of the BOWS on earth at 3 feet!...lol That's vertical bows AND crossbows.
View attachment 201648
It holds speed well but still has a 7 foot arrow drop at 100 yards. So much for flat shooting. ;)

·
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,784 ·
It holds speed well but still has a 7 foot arrow drop at 100 yards. So much for flat shooting. ;)
I was ... consistently hitting a steel plate at 900 yards with a little .223Rem bullet that was arching something like 47 feet. It was so bad the instructor was a little worried that the powerlines alongside us would be in play ...lol Impractical range, but fun to drop them in at long range on targets nonetheless. ;)

·
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,785 ·
Speaking of ballistics ... As is my normal MOA, I've been playing around with the ballistic data for my new Ravin R29X, (which happens to match my old Scorpyd Velocity) You guys who are persnickety about precision should play with the ballistic calculator linked below. Figure out the angle of your shots out of your treestand and the data from different trajectory curves is enlightening. For example, from your normal 20' high treestand a 20 yard shot is around a 20° angle. The higher your stand, and slower your arrow, the more pronounced the difference will be from a shot out of a ground blind. Most ballistic calculators assume ground level shooting.
ShootersCalculator.com | Ballistic Trajectory Calculator

Reactions: jarhed

·
SE VA
12,522 Posts
No thanks🙈😊. I look around at all the hi tech stuff, including scopes that only leaves the shooter to pull the trigger (for now) and I shake my head. I love the challenge of archery that isn’t there with lots of that stuff. Ballistic calculators??? Are you kidding me??😆 I shoot an arrow at 20 yards and then at 40 yards. My calculating is then done😆

·
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,787 ·
No thanks🙈😊. I look around at all the hi tech stuff, including scopes that only leaves the shooter to pull the trigger (for now) and I shake my head. I love the challenge of archery that isn’t there with lots of that stuff. Ballistic calculators??? Are you kidding me??😆 I shoot an arrow at 20 yards and then at 40 yards. My calculating is then done😆 View attachment 201657
Can't argue ... with that.😂 Bottom line, that's all it comes down to. (y) :)

Reactions: mizo and jarhed

·
SE VA
12,522 Posts
At my age and mental capability associated with approaching 80, it’s about all I can do…..and it works😊

·
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,789 ·

• Haha
Reactions: jarhed and mizo

·
Registered
695 Posts
Help stopping the spread of misinformation:

·
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,794 ·
Reactions: mizo

·
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,795 ·
Just built ... 10 camera screw mounts with a bunch of hardware from McMaster Carr. :) One project we have had 200 cameras out at one time, all with this bracket but with a short screw eye instead of the longer one I used. If you did Home Depot instead of McMaster you could make them for somewhere between $4.00 & $5.00 each.

Reactions: jarhed and brent h

·
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,798 ·

·
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,799 ·
Long read ... but it might save your life if you take it to mind. You may reconsider your ability to handle an intruder in your home or an assault on your family. :oops:
www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/Aveni/OIS.pdf

·
Registered
990 Posts
Long read ... but it might save your life if you take it to mind. You may reconsider your ability to handle an intruder in your home or an assault on your family. :oops:
www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/Aveni/OIS.pdf
shoot on sight or suffer the consequenses, giving any time for invader will give you losses

i didnt read it, just from my expirience (never shot anyone to my knowledge)

domestic violence and visitors turning violent usually gives more time to react

1781 - 1800 of 1827 Posts