Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well went out today to see if I could add to my hunting space, just beating down the road kinda like the pickers on tv, looking for a farm with huntings woods around. Well I knocked on 6 doors , with no good results, most said for family hunting only. Well at least I did not run into a peta person who would give me the riot act, so , It could have been worse. I have a little private land but most of my hunting is public land. Maybe something will fall into my hands one of these days. If nothing else it's making me a better hunter, for having to hunt hard and relentless to get the meat in the freezer. Happy Trails !!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Litigation, it's the latest American fad and everybody's worried about it! I would suspect the farther out in ruralville you get, the better your chances. Just a hunch.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I usually do pretty good around here when I ask, just don't get around to it as much as I should.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
A farmer friend of mine who gave me permission to hunt on his unposted land caught the game wardens setting up a decoy on his land. He asked them what the h3#* they were doing. When they told him,he ,in some not so nice language told them to get off his land and never set foot on it again,and never try to give anyone a ticket for what he had told them to do.He wanted every deer on his land taken out. I'm still hunting his property, no problems.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Harvest time is upon the farming community. Not all but some could use the help if you know your way around equipment.
I've cut wood for some and helped haul grain wagons off the field for others. I figure we need each other.

The time to go around is not just before or during hunting season.
Try the winter off season or during the middle of summer when landowners typically have more time and you can get to know them.
It should be a friendship and you both will enjoy it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm usually scared to knock on doors around here- too many of the farmers have big, mean dogs (I'm terrified of strange dogs) and they usually don't take too kindly to strangers, even if said stranger is just a nice lady. Plus, out of state outfitters have bought or leased up 99.995% of the land so that only rich folk can access it.

·
Banned
3,103 Posts
KSCG: That's a shame but it's happening all over. Here in Alberta we still have some very good farmers who if approached properly and treated with respect give us permission. In return we keep an eye on their livestock, fences and share the results in cleaned processed meat, sausages etc. and we'll bring them a specialty coffee in the winter time every now and than and help out when we can, we also check up on them as they are aging as well. In the end we've become friends based on a simple request. Cactus

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm in the same boat

·
Registered
677 Posts
Wow, you should move here, a lot of places will give you access if you ask and are courteous and there is lots of public land.

Reactions: Old Summit

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey jareese,

Check out the WI DNR website for areas open to public hunting.

Here is a URL for you:
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/OutdoorRecreation/

Just put in your county or neighboring counties and then search for areas open to hunting.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I help out at two horse farms about a mile apart that are wrapped up with deer (one is 130 acres and the other is 88 acres) and I got exclusive rights to hunt each one. I help maintain about 3 miles of trails for the women to ride, I cut & haul downed trees, and make natural jumps out of the non-firewood logs I cut. It works out great for each of us. I lend a hand by building staduim jumps & fixing fences if they need it. Neither farm owner allows gun hunting on their land, so all the deer from surrounding properties flock there when the woods get busy. The horse trails really help by having clear paths in the woods to get to stands quietly and to drag deer & turkeys out easily.

If you have some spare time, ask about hunting a horse farm in exchange for doing some work there, especially if its owned by a female. They'd rather ride than run the saw or build stuff. Most horse farms have out of the way places that don't get horse traffic that the deer like to hang out. Once you're in at one, don't be surprised if another farm owner contacts you about doing the same at their farm. It worked for me. I've got over 200 acres all to myself that only costs me some sweat and spare time.

Jim

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
I moved into the area I reside in 4 years ago and started building relationships with the local farmers right away. Being retired I'm able to meet everyday for morning coffee and the daily bull session. I have become friends with many and I offer help and do electrical work for these guys, always as a favor. This year one of the fellows who owns and manages several very large farms actually came to my place, and said, lets go for a ride. He took to his farms and told me I could hunt these farms if I wanted. This is quite a score, as only his nephew hunts these farms and this is some prime ground. I have gained access to several parcels throughout the last few years just by being neighborly and letting these guys get to know me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Being bowhunters don't over look small tracts of land close to town or housing developments ( all you need an acre or two). A lot of wall hangers hold tight in these small tracts due to no pressure. Numbers usually increase in these pockets as the gun season gets in full swing. easier to get permission from folks who have deer destroying the scrubs and yard gardens.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm a pastor in a small country church. I don't own any land, but I do have a few places to hunt within 2 miles of town. A couple of them don't attend the church....but I have gotten to know them just seeing them at the coffee shop. They know I am not going to litter on their land and I will not bring 6 of my buddies with me. I have also promise a couple that I will not shoot their prized bucks....I just hunt for food. A few weeks ago I took one of them a few quarts of canned venison and some canned tomatoes from the garden to say thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just received permission to hunt ten acres of private land, the owner wants all the der shot. Told him it's not right to shoot does with fauns and fauns themselves. He again said he wants them all gone as his expensive shrubbery is being eaten. My response? "Looks like I'll have to come back every year!"

·
Registered
13,225 Posts
I use the enternet looking at the map from the tax accessor's office to obtain the names/addresses of the paying tax people for the property they own and write them letters asking permission to bow hunt(bow hunting doesnt scare them as bad as if youre asking to gun hunt for some reason). You'd be surprised at how much land in your county is owned by people that live outside your county/state. I pick thru the map looking at parcels very closely, then I'll ride by the properties trying to get a good look at the land to see if it's huntable, then write my letters. Usually i'll write 5 or 6 people a year and if I'm lucky I'll pick up atleast one property a year. And in most cases I usually hear back from a couple to three of those letters.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
It gets harder and harder to find land to hunt on. I'm lucky because my sons in laws let us hunt their horse farm. Don't give up keep hitting on those doors. Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, quality land here in WI, say Buffalo Co., is going for 6K per acre or more. It has become a rich man's game on private land. Your chances of gaining permission by door knocking in Buffalo Co are less than zero.

·
Registered
380 Posts
In my area we have a lot of small parcels of Corps Of Engineer land along the lakes and rivers managed by the State Wildlife Dept. I have had to camp out in my boat but have found lot's of deer. Check the Corps of Engineers hunting maps for your areas.

I see lot's of deer along the river on a strip of Public Land about 200 yards wide. Have killed several there.

Also put the word out at church, etc. Found a really good spot on the back end of a large Cul De Sac. A guy from church ask me to hunt it because of the damage the deer are causing. I was very surprised how big the bucks were back there.

Bill

1 - 20 of 21 Posts