Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
306 Posts
In 2010 I went to a high fence operation in Central California. I went for bison. I shot a cow at 40 yards with a tenpoint phantom and a 1.75 inch cut swhacker. The next part is unclear. After the arrow blew through the cow either the arrow deflected or maybe a bull stuck his neck out and got tagged right where the neck meets the head. The cow went to my left and collapsed. The bull went straight down a hill with my arrow sticking out of his neck and bleeding heavily. He went about 75 yards and collapsed. My poor wallet

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
My worst hunting incident was in November 2011. I was after a very nice 10 pt that I spotted a few days before.
I hunted from my favorite climber then started my decent from about 24 feet. After going about three climber steps I heard a pin dropped from my lower climber cable system. I immediately began to fall and grabbed the seat frame as I dropped through it because I was standing on the lower section.
So there I was suspended with from my hands about 18 feet high from the seat frame while the foot section was hanging by the catch rope.

I instinctly pushed and pulledmyself up into the seat section by putting my feet on the lower hanging section. That rope was my lucky rope because I doubted it was strong enough to stand my weight.

After I got in the seat I thought along time how I was going to safety get down. Whatever I tried had to be certain to get me down safely. The Cell phone service wasn't good. I was hunting alone on a large track. The nearest house was a mile away.

I had the utility rope but it had been used to lower my bow and backpack and the capacity was too light.
After considering all option I decided to turn around l in the seat facing the tree to try the bear hug decent.
Fortunately it worked by pushing the cable down with one hand while holding around the tree with the other as my legs also gripped the trunk. The oak tree was about 18" diameter making that difficult and my legs sore but thank God it worked.

Man I was happy to stand on the ground! I cried and thank God for giving me the strength to accomplish that very difficult maneuver.

That was a close to death incident in my opinion.

Yes I started using safety harness from then on.
I never understood how that safety pin clash came undone in that situation. I was always careful. I suspected a nearby neighbor may have undone it because one cut my utility rope in two before. He didn't want me hunting that remote area across from him because of several old bucks about. Anyway I check the climber pins and canles often since then.
Please use good climbing safety equipment.

Spot On

·
Registered
512 Posts
This is an easy one. It was four years ago, my first season with a crossbow and I actually screwed up twice.........on the same buck! In the last 25yrs prior, to changing from the compound, I had always shot with a single pin sight. Well my first crossbow had a multi line scope. I told my wife that the multi line scope would probably end up costing me a deer. Truer words were never spoken! I had it on my annual trip to Ohio and I had been getting pics of a really good buck from a spot where I already had a stand. The first mess up was not entirely my fault. It was very cold that year and my hunting partner had ran out of those disposable hot hands. He wanted to drive to the nearest town to see if he could find some. I said I'd skip the morning hunt and go with him. Big mistake #1. You already know what happens. We're in a rural king about 9 AM and my phone goes off. It was this guy, about 20 yds from my stand.

Screw up number two. The next day I'm in that same stand, still aggravated with myself for not being there the previous day, when I see the same buck coming through the woods. I estimated him at about 40yds and let it fly. It went right underneath his belly. He looked around and walked out of my life forever! What I did wrong was I had the wrong crosshair on him, fulfilling my prophecy from earlier. After that season I purchased a Parker Pin-point scope, so at least I won't make that same mistake again. There are just too many other mistakes I need to make to be making the same ones twice!
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mine happened back in the 70’s when I was still bowhunting with a longbow. Muzzleloader season was still in but I had already killed a nice buck with the gun and my bow was calling me😊 so I put the “black powder” rifle up. I had a stand up in a nice area close to a pond behind what we call the 50 acre field and had not hunted it that year, and since I walked around the pond across the damn a day or 2 early and seeing some huge buck tracks, I decided to hunt that area.
I had some buck lure that was really good (forgot the name🥴) back then so I squirted some on my boots and walked over the dam to my stand at daybreak. I had been settled in my stand about 30 minutes when I saw antlers coming through the thick reeds that surround the pond. When he got to where I had turned and walked up to my stand, about 40 yards from the pond, he had his nose on the ground smelling my buck lure. He was absolutely huge!!!!! He was standing well within my rifle range but I had my longbow🙄. I stood up and got ready. He started slowly walking towards me up the little path to my stand with his nose on the ground. He liked that buck lure. He turned sideways smelling the ground at what I guessed as 30 yards. My rangefinder was still in my hunting bag🙄. I drew the longbow, aimed for 30 yards, pulled through the clicker and sent the arrow on the way……….no more then 1 inch over his shoulder/back!!!!! I think the feathers actually raked across his shoulder☹. He took a couple leaps, looked around and walked away. The largest racked buck I have ever seen til today and my my love for bowhunting saved him. I never saw him again and hunted that area often for the next couple years. I stepped the distance off where he was standing………24 yards🙄.
That was years before my crossbow hunting began in 2003, a hunt I will never forget.
you had a rangefinder in the 70s?

·
3,711 Posts
I was training a black lab to tree squirrels while scouting for deer one day. When he treed on this old dead tree covered in vines. I knew it was a den but. SSSSS get him Buck speak to him boy getum Buck getting him all pumped up. About that time he came out of that mess with the biggest skunk i have ever seen. And they was in a fight to the death. Buck was a killing machine. That hollow filled with skunk like you just wouldn't believe. And here he came just as proud as he could be bring it to me. His eyes was bloodshot from getting sprayed. And mine was starting to water lol. Plus he's also my wife's baby and lives in the house.

When i got him home i hosed him off and the water ran off him was yellow looking. I knew i had to be cover in skunk as well. There was just no getting out of it. Anyway I mixed up a batch of strong scent killer i had been just starting to make. Washed him down with it good. Then put him in the shop as i had to go to work and my wife was soon to be getting off work. She would never think to look for him in there.

I took a shower and covered myself with this scent cover stuff. And went to work nobody said a word and i couldn't smell anything either. I get back home in a few hours and check on Buck. I can't smell anything WOW. So i cut him lose and we go in the house where my life wates. She never noticed a thing petting buck. I think once she said i think i can smell something. Then acted like all well.

This was a huge screw up that turned into screw the wind i'm going hunting.

Don't guess this is a bow hunting screw up. But a dandy screw up :).

·
Registered
195 Posts
in the early 70's quickee quiver was new and it could be had with no protection around the broadheads. while sitting in a tree on a treelimb i ''tweaked'' a tiny branch from between the string and upper bowlimb. that got me into an e.r. [berlin wi] for 8 stitches and several days after that i was admitted to sherman hospital in elgin il for iv antibiotics for a severe infection.

·
Registered
523 Posts
When I was 11 or 12 I had a fiberglass recurve bow you know the kind with a rubber grip.
Well anyhow I lost my arrows by shooting at squirrel nests. When I asked my dad for some new ones he asked me what happened to the ones I had and like a idiot I told him the truth. I got read the riot act and was told if I was was going to do stupid things like that I could save up and buy them myself.
Looking back I don’t which was my worst screwup…shooting at the squirrel nests or telling dad that I had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
I used to hunt a particular farm until the lady died (she was relation) and the kids sold the farm. During my vertical days, one morning I made the usual 1/2 mile hike to the back side of the property, climbed up the tree, and got hooked up.

I pulled my bow up and set it on the hook. Started looking around and couldn’t find my quiver, I realized I had left it in my truck. Got down and hiked another 1/2 mile back to get the quiver and then another 1/2 mile back to my stand.

Didn’t see anything that morning which was probably appropriate for the day.

you had a rangefinder in the 70s?
I had one back then, it was called Ranging or Ranger or something like that. But it worked differently than todays units.

You looked thru a view finder and saw 2 images - one was regular black and white and the other had a yellow tint to it I think.

You adjusted the yardage wheel until the split images became one and the distance showed on the yardage wheel. A bit crude but it worked if you had enough light to see the 2 images.

I also had a GPS when they first came out - it was huge and only had something like a compass arrow showing the direction to go. I don’t recall how the waypoints were set but I recall it worked fair - nowhere near what’s available today.

I think it was called a Magellan.

Reactions: myronman3

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Geez what a topic, i put an optimizer on my MXB Charge. It was sighted in well, i got a shot last week from the shoot house. I had ranged the Doe at 50 yards, i hate telling off on myself like this. So i am putting the gn. dot on her n she is walking towards me. I can't tell that through the dot n she stops, i have dot on heart area n shoot. Arrow flies over her back hit some brush n she is color me gone ! I had the optimizer on 50, she stopped at 39.6 by my rangefinder. So lesson learned, this older man can't range n keep up with distance tick toters walk n move optimizer pin all in a few seconds. Yeah i pulled the optimizer off n put my scope back on yesterday sighting it in.

·
Registered
164 Posts
opening weekend vertical bow season years ago. warm october am in alabama. about 10am I'm about to leave the stand and i hear leaves stirring up the hill. i'm in a beautiful stand of old hardwoods they've since cut and planted pines. 3 big bucks in a bachelor group are single-file heading right at me. all were shooters. biggest rack was actually up front. he came down a draw and i stopped him 20 yards broadside. i aimed behind his shoulder and let it fly. i saw the arrow hit true and the buck ran up the hill towards the road. i know i smoked him with a good shot. when the buck hit the top he stopped, looked around and flicked his tail. joy turned to misery and I immediately thought thats not what a hit deer does. i eventually found my arrow broken minus the mechanical broadhead that failed to open. i've never used one since and will never have one again in my quiver.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Wheel Deer Tire Fawn Terrestrial animal

No real screw up yesterday afternoon, however after I shot her, she mule kicked and ran straight at me as I was seated behind my Ghost blind..
I was thinking Holy Sh*t! She thinks this is a brush pile and is going to run right into and through me and my blind!
I stood up, she saw me and passed by at maybe 10 yards and crashed down through the woods..
Phew...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Back in the 70's with my Bear recurve, had some old wood arrows, taped M-80' on it , kneeled down and my 9 year old brother lit the fuse. Somehow the string jumped the nock and twang the arrow falls in front of me. I turned and dove face down on grass as he ran back as it explodes at my feet. No one hurt and other shots were great blowing up high in the air.
Funniest part is the disbelief in that split second as you realize what happened.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Well like others I have too many to count. But my worst was probably in Omaha Nebraska in early 2000s. I went to hunt with buddy on a farm he had just gotten permission to hunt from a nice little old lady…yeah it sounded too good to be true. Well the first afternoon I shot a nice deer. I went and bought another license and went back for round two. Well after a long day In stand I was zoning out leaning against tree when I saw a doe and fawn coming towards me at about 30 yards. I didn’t want to tag out so I just sat there left bow on hook etc. well from behind her pops the biggest buck I’d ever seen in my life. Huge. Wide. Tall Heavy. I tried to get bow off hook as he was now 20 yards following doe. I got bow started to draw he turned and started slowly walking away. I drew bow and mouth grunted. He stopped at 40 and I put HHA pin above his back ( no time to adjust) and I launched an arrow over his back! He slowly walked out of my life!

the worst part was my buddy was 75 yds away at edge of field and watched the whole thing. He reminds me of story every time we talk. The buck was killed a week later by gun hunter on adjoining farm. 195 inch typical. So yeah it was a bad day…but it was great seeing my first true Monster Buck!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
One of my more memorable screw ups was on a decent buck with my vertical compound bow. I was only 14 feet up and he came right in to me. I drew back and kept waiting, and waiting, and waiting... He walked just about directly under me and I bent at the waist, put the pin just off his spine and squeezed off. Darn cam hit the tree, broke my arrow, and derailed my string. He jumped 10 feet and stood there while I nocked another arrow but the string was off the cams so no shot.

Next eveneing he came back in, I drew back but he was onto me and jumped the string.
Two weeks later, same stand at 60 yds with my Tikka .270. Very deliberately put the crosshair on the center of his chest and squeezed. Didn't bother to bolt another round, he was as good as dead. As I was getting my stuff together to dress him out, another buck comes in from a different direction. Very easy shot but I already had a deer....so I thought. Got on the track and no hair or blood but he circled me and it was him that stood in front of me. Turns out that I clipped the edge of beech tree and my bullet wrapped around the tree under the bark.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts