Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to what game everyone here has harvested with their XBows lets say in the last 2 years or so, and what XBow you were using, and type of broadhead. And where...
Myself, I have taken 8 hogs in Southern California last year, all with Magnus Snuffer 125's with my ExoMax, 3 coyotes Southern California with 100's Snuffers in the last year, with same bow. I am going to make it a point this year to take a bear with it, took one with my compound 2 years ago, I just think it would be a rush to take one with a XBow.

·
242 Posts
4 big game animals in the last 2 years for me. 2 elk (a cow and the bull in my avatar)and 2 mule deer (2 bucks). All taken with a Horton Stag recurve crossbow here in Colorado with Zwickey 2 blade heads. The deer were taken @ 25 and 30 yds. and the elk were taken @ 20 and 45 yds.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
I hunt @ 200 days a year, so not sure how many hogs in that time, but always hunting hogs. I do hog removal for some of the game ranches here and have a spring lease for hogs and Turkey. Whitetail deer, Sika deer,Axis deer, a Red Stag, racoons by the 100's, a bobcat, lots of Rio Grande Turkey,squirrels, and several Javelina, and an American Bison. May be others but can't remember right now. Old Timers.
All in the past few years for sure, were taken with a Horton Legend 175, and aluminum arrows topped with 4 blade 125 gr. MUZZYs. I have found the perfect combination of equipment for me. My partner thinks so too, because he changed his to the same as mine. He he!
Here's a little boar I shot this Friday night. Anyone else night hunt with your crossbow? Texas is legal so I take full advantage.

Attachments

·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guide Girl said:
I hunt @ 200 days a year, so not sure how many hogs in that time, but always hunting hogs. I do hog removal for some of the game ranches here and have a spring lease for hogs and Turkey. Whitetail deer, Sika deer,Axis deer, a Red Stag, racoons by the 100's, a bobcat, lots of Rio Grande Turkey,squirrels, and several Javelina, and an American Bison. May be others but can't remember right now. Old Timers.
All in the past few years for sure, were taken with a Horton Legend 175, and aluminum arrows topped with 4 blade 125 gr. MUZZYs. I have found the perfect combination of equipment for me. My partner thinks so too, because he changed his to the same as mine. He he!
Here's a little boar I shot this Friday night. Anyone else night hunt with your crossbow? Texas is legal so I take full advantage.
If it was legal to hunt them at night in California I certainly would, I would go after them 24/7 if I could.

·
16 Posts
As Im new to CB world, I didnt take any serious animal so far. The only animal I took was rabitt, it was 35 meters (39 yards) shot. I use Horton Hunter 175.

I had opportunity to shoot on deer from distance belllow 25 meters but arrow even didnt touch the animal. When target shooting, Im able repeteadly to place an arrows perfectly from distance 40 meters +.
Any advice or help?

My explanation: when target shooting, Im relaxed and calm. I can focus on target and I hit the target. When real hunting, Im unsettled and my heart beats at rate 200/per minute:) I lose judgement of distance which result in missed shot.

I need probably more encounters with animal so I can stay calm and focus on shooting.

Capo

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
Capo, Thats why we hunt. Its for that exhilarating rush we get right before pulling the trigger. We in the states call it " Buck Fever" even though it can happen on any animal. The more time you spend hunting, the more you will be able to control it. It probably will never go away completely. As far as judging the distance, you may want to pic up a range finder.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Capo said:
As Im new to CB world, I didnt take any serious animal so far. The only animal I took was rabitt, it was 35 meters (39 yards) shot. I use Horton Hunter 175.

I had opportunity to shoot on deer from distance belllow 25 meters but arrow even didnt touch the animal. When target shooting, Im able repeteadly to place an arrows perfectly from distance 40 meters +.
Any advice or help?

My explanation: when target shooting, Im relaxed and calm. I can focus on target and I hit the target. When real hunting, Im unsettled and my heart beats at rate 200/per minute:) I lose judgement of distance which result in missed shot.

I need probably more encounters with animal so I can stay calm and focus on shooting.

Capo
That is awesome! You just need to learn to control it. Range finders for sure are a must for a beginner. Practice ranging everything while you sit like the trees, rocks, etc so you have those ranges memorized already when the moment of truth comes. I remember those days of getting TOO excited. Here's what I had to do. See? I was treed by a big boar hog one night for 4 long hours, so hogs terrified me. When I'd see a big hog, I'd go into a panic attack type thing. I wanted very much to kill it, but had control issues, so I had to 1st, look away.(even quietly move back or sideways sometimes) 2nd, close my eyes and tell myself I had to breathe before I could shoot, and concentrate on that. 3rd, get the control as soon as I could so I could get the hog. Most important thing is to take your time, and slowwww down. If your not ready, don't take the shot until you are ready. If the animal is relaxed, you have time to pick your shot. Never get in a hurry if your a beginner about any shooting. There will always be a next time.
It does help also to just go sit on stand and watch the animals close up and if you can, hunt with a camera and get used to being up close and personal. When you know you're not going to kill it, it helps you get used to controlling your reactions.
Set up to shoot at shorter distances. 20 yards to 30 yards. 20 yards to start is perfect for the crossbow. I shoot at 25 mostly and have a very sucsessful hunting resume.
If we ever stop getting excited about harvesting an animal, that's when we need to quit hunting. Good Luck and have fun!

·
Banned
1,256 Posts
3 Turkey, 3 WT deer and 3 Sika deer. (free range in Chincoteague VA.)
Yes the Sika are small but they're fun to hunt. And tasty. The pic is the view from my ground blind. The water is a flooded impound for waterfowl. It was filled with Snow geese earlier that morning.

·
11,449 Posts
I like that crossbow:)

I hunted there in 1964 with a Bear Magnum recurve. Took a nice 7 pointer. I remember lots of snakes in the grass.:(

The whitetail buck is my nicest taken with a crossbow so far. It was my first bow season hunting with a crossbow. No luck with the turkeys to date. Too much bass fishing this time of year. :D

Attachments

·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The last 2 years here in California, I have taken a total of 14 hogs, . 8 year one. 6 in year two All of my hog hunting is done with my Exomax.
I am using Magnus Snuffers 125's on the hogs. we will be going after fall bear this year in California, and I will probablyu continue on with the 125 Snuffers.

I also take coyotes with my XBow using Spitfire 100's or 125 mechanicals, in the last 2years I have taken 7 coyotes with the XBow.

Reactions: tryinhardarcher

·
224 Posts
Last year I took 6 deer. The only reason I know is that I had to write
the registration numbers down on my license when I called 'em in.
Don't remember what I took year before that.
I don't even remember if I've been hunting 2 or 3 years with it.

I think its been 3 years now. tough to say.

I do remember hunting with a bear magnum recurve though like moonkryket.
Green laminate. I remember a hand scrawled serial number was written on it.
Had a white face (towards the deer) on the riser.
I had to cover that with camo tape.

THAT was fun :mad:

·
665 Posts
I have never shot a cross bow ( I have to now because of injuries) but I have dreamed about shooting a big michigan whitetail with a x-bow and using the all around best broadhead a magnus stinger 2 blade:)

·
41 Posts
I have never hunted with an x-bow but today I was shooting my xcal phoenix at a 30 yard target when a woodchuck popped up(33yards) behind the target. Well my neighbors all have gardens and the chucks eat their fair share. I still had the varizone scope on ( it now has a zeiss z-point on it) so i put the 30 yard reticle a tad high and I have my first kill with the phoenix.

·
29 Posts
In the past three years I have taken four deer with three differnt x-bows

I have taken deer with an older Excal Exorcet175 pound(non-mag) limbs with vari-zone scope xx75 arrows tipped w/ 100 gr Rocky preimere heads.

I killed deer with new Excal Exorcet 200 pound limbs same arrowssame set up.

I then killed deer with a PSE rattler x-bow 150 pound, Parker carbon arrows with 100 gr Crimson Tallon "black mamba" head, Buck Ridge scope

I am a bow junkie all bows and I trade my archery stuff more than most people...lol;)

I am now playing w/ a Horton "Hunter Max 175" I look forard to putting some meat in the freezer this fall.

Koz

C

·
0 Posts
Took two 8-Pointer whitetail bucks within the last two years. One scored 118 4/8ths. Both mounted, both taken with Excalibur Vixen and 100 gr. 4 blade Muzzy broad heads. Both mounted, last buck has the killer homemade carbon bolt with dried blood laying in it's rack. A 30 yard double lunger shot, buck went 30 yards:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
2006: two rams in South Texas (first crossbow kills); Excalibur Phoenix & AfterShock mechanicals
2008: Hog in PA, Excalibur Exomag
Kudu, (2) Impalas, Baboon and (2) warthogs; South Africa; Desert Stryker with loaded arrows & Bolt Sonic 150 heads by ABC

Here are a few shots...

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well I went to the game check in station and the biologist came out to see what i shot. I was honest and I said "I dont know what the hell it is but its dead." It turned out to be a special hybred between three animals....a bald eagel, a red cockaded woodpecker and a manatee....

So it was determined that I shot a redbaldmanapeckeredcockatee...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts