Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
211 Posts
I'm still looking actually...

I had 125gr thunderheads on my carbons and didnt care for them, the three other choices I have planned are slick tricks, NAP nitrons, and NAP spitfires, I'm going to pick up some of each and see which works best

I did a major revamp just lately in both my carbon and alumin arrow setups to imporove my FOC and although I'm sticking with 125gr heads on my carbons I made some inserts for my alumin arrows that work with my 85gr thunderheads, just to see how they work, I've heard they work pretty good, I was using 2216's but switched them out for my 2213's(which I had stopped using), the 2213's with my inserts and 85gr tips weigh around 432(ish)gr. and have a FOC around 17%-18%, pretty much the same stats as my beman thunderbolts with 125gr tips

so, at this point I couldnt say what broadhead works best for me as my entire setup is up in the air yet, and I have a little testing to do...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have some Thunderheads but Ive not used them yet,The deer Ive taken so far have all been with the Spitfires.Great entry and exit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I prefer fixed and slightly heavy, like 125gr. I prefer fixed because I do buy into the possibility that mechanicals can fail. If not a complete failure, at least partially. Now I'm trying to setup 125gr ABC Liberty's. I cannot reccomend yet because my arrow testing is not complete.

·
87 Posts
I like the Slick Tricks, they work very well for me.
I was in a gun/bow shop yesterday that was new to me, the guy behind the counter was difficult to understand, but I am sure he was trying to tell me that Excal is introducing a 170 grain broadhead soon. I would be surprised if the first time I hear about it would be from an old mom and pop store in the middle of nowhere, so there is a chance I just misunderstood.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
I heard about the 170 from Excal on another site.
I prefer Slicks too, the 100 gr mags., however, I'm also adding some 60 grns to the insert by replacing the aluminum one with a 100 gr brass insert. I find that smallish and 4 bladed braodheads fly more consistently than either the mechanicals I've tried or large, 3 bladed heads like Thunderheads; which cost me hits on 2 bucks by planing. IMO, the small 4 bladed heads keep than arrow from planing and seem to not be as sensitive to how they are turned in relation to the vanes. On the plus side, Slicks fly just like my field tips and, very importantly, give great terminal performance i.e. penetration and hemorrhage. FYI, I'm using GT lazer IIs and 2" Blazers with the slicks..

·
38 Posts
It's another choice YOU have to make. ;)
I have found a few fixed blade heads that give excellent accuracy out of my Excalibur, and the Wasp JakHammer mechanical gives (gave) great accuracy and an awesome cut. I have tried many brands of both types heads over the years and for accuracy and dependability I had the field narrowed to:
*Wasp JakHammer (double banded to prevent opening in flight)
*G-5 Outdoors Montec 3-blade fixed blade
*Slick Trick replacement blade type fixed blades
Every bow/arrow/broadhead combination has it's own level of performance and any combination needs to be tested before attempting to hunt with it!
Something as simple as changing fletching angle or type can totally change the performance.
This past season I had a JakHammer fail to open when it went through a deer, so for now I'm back to using fixed blade heads only. Perhaps I'll find another mechanical that I can trust, but for now I've not found one that will stay closed in flight (actually they open with the abrupt launch a crossbow gives) and gurantee opening when it hits the game animal.
BTW - the JakHammer went through the heart, so I did recover the deer, but if I'd missed the heart chances are I'd have lost that one. I found the arrow and the blades were still banded closed!

·
342 Posts
I pretty much hunt hogs about 90% of the time, I have always used Magnus Snuffers and the SS's in the same line 100's and the 125's, I always get great penetration with the Magnus. I have also used some G5's with good results at times.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used Muzzys for a long time on my older Horton and never lost a deer. When I bought the newer faster Horton they would not shoot good so I decided to scratch my mechanical itch that I had for a long time. I have been using the Tekan II's and this year took two deer with them. One feel in sight, about thirty yards and the other ran only fifty or so yards. SO far I like them and they hold up great.

·
11,423 Posts
Broadhead choice for crossbows

and vertical bows for that matter, is a personal choice. I've heard guys say "I'll never use that (blank) broadhead again because it cost me 2 deer" and they were talking about broadheads that I had taken 5 or 6 deer with without a hitch:ack2: Many folks claim the slick Trick is the best thing since Santa Claus. For me it's just another small cut broadhead that does a good job. For dead nutz accuracy out to 70 yards (hits in the exact same spot as field points of the same weight) I've yet to find a fixed blade that I like as well as the 170 grain all stainless NAP Spitfire.............and I don't work for NAP or sell these heads.

·
Banned
258 Posts
I have started shooting broadheads from Americam Broadhead Co. and
the Turkey Tearror is the best I have ever used on any birds so far!
They flat put them down upon impact and are a terrific small game
head also.They will tear up a pelt like with fox or rabbits etc.but they
have really impressed me so far!I have a package of their Liberity Heads
and will be trying them this weekend,will let you know how they perform!:cool:

·
11,423 Posts
Griz

I know a few guys that have been testing broadheads for 40 years:p

·
Banned
402 Posts
bbest broadhead

for me?,magnus 2 blade is best fixed for fast recovery and pass thru, I shot at 2 bucks fighting, well they spun around as i shot hitting one in the butt, it came out his chest, sold me,, my buddy swears by wasp jackhammers loves to hear them smack open on impact and short blood trails, this is from experience on over 100 whitetails killed by bow and crossbow..

as for pigs nothing but magnus 2 blade all the way, there like shooting a tractor trailer tire, lol...

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Well, I started shooting a crossbow when dinosaurs were still around and there was no info or anyone to ask about anything. So I did the trial and error thing. If something new came out, I bought it and tried it.
I can say this in general. Different crossbows with different draw weights and arrow speeds do perform differently with the different weight and style broadheads. So, what works good for one, may not for another. You just have to do the trial and error thing with your particular set up. I personally believe the bows w/ 175 lb pull perform better with 125 gr. broadheads, and the 150 lb pull bows do well with the 100 gr.
During my trials, I found I loved the NAP spitfires, but yes, they do fail to open sometimes, and they are quite pricey. The other mechanicals, I don't want to deal with having to mess with a tiny rubber or metal O ring. The different fixed blades also offer ups and downs, and I found I prefer the 4 blade heads. In some places like Africa, and hunting big game, the two blades are superior, and recommended by the Professional Hunters there.
So, ideally if you don't want to start from the beginning, ask those who shoot your same exact set up what they've experienced, but still, try them yourself, as opinions sometimes don't take into consideration, the shot placement and other factors that may have had nothing to do with the product. If you try it and experience the same thing someone else said, then you found out faster that was good or not good for your particular set up. You have to remember that the manufacturers of the products are in business to make money weather the product is good or not, so don't necessarily pay much attention to the marketing and advertisement that's out there to sell you in a particular product. That's business, not reality. They aren't going to disclose a problem they know of to buyers, now are they? It does however call attention to something they have available for you to consider.
I chose the Muzzys because of several factors. One is they fly right with my set up. Next, is price and availability. Then, I've never had a reason to blame one for something that should not have happened with a shot. Next, I can reuse them for varmints. I always trophy hunt with a new set up. Varmints and small pigs get the used stuff. That's one thing I would never do with a mechanical. Also, I practice shooting a target with my exact set up I hunt with so no surprises in the field where it counts. A mechanical, that is not possible to do without ruining and dulling the blades or worse-loosing one of the blades. I have more confidence in my shooting, because I always shoot with what I use, at all times.

·
34 Posts
Like a voodoo priest, I resurrect this zombie of a post that has laid dead and dormant for almost two years...heh, heh, heh.

Anyone tried the Wasp Boss? It's a small fixed blade that my boy has killed deer with out of his compound.

Anyone??????????

1 - 20 of 43 Posts