Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
64 Posts
Eternity Target

is what I have been using for my compounds when I could still draw one back. I have tried my new TL-7 on it and it still did the job.

I saw on another forum that people were making ther own target bags, stuffing them with Walmart plastic shopping bags, that you can get for free from them. I made a couple and was suprised at how good they stopped the arrows. I should say that I was using field points only.

I thought that they would make a good cheap bag for de-cocking the x-bow.
Will see how long they last.

·
23 Posts
Crossbow Target

I have a 14 year old Horton that puts out 72# Ke. It is easy to stop. My brother on the other hand has one of the new high dollar super fast hummers.I called and got this info from him. First almost any arrow will melt some of the plastic inside of the target when it first goes in. A short wait will let the arrow cool and be easier to remove. The problem comes when you start shooting broad heads. He had the WHITE, THE BLOCK which cost about 70.00. Even though it did stop the arrows it started to flake when he pulled the arrow out. He returned it and got a GRAY, THE BLOCK at $100.00 He is convinced that you need to spend this much. He does not have the inside of the target coming out when the broad head is removed. He has been hunting with a crossbow for 2-3 years and has more experience than I do. He is as tight as a tick with money so if he tells me to buy the gray target I guess I will when and if I get a high dollar super fast hummer.

In the mean time I shoot my old Horton at a Yellow jacket target.

Bag targets will stop the target arrows fine. The broad heads are the problem. two targets or one good one. Factor in how much you shoot.

Just a thought on a warm, windy Sunday afternoon in Oklahoma

navydad

Good Luck to us all

·
11,404 Posts
Rinehart 18/1 cube

and their 3D targets are awesome. Carbon arrows at 350 to 400 fps tend to fuse to targets, some different degrees than others. I've been working on a product that can be applied to carbon arrows to totally eliminate the fusing and also make the arrows pull out easily. I will "let the cat out of the bag" as soon as I can. People are currently using all kinds of oils, waxes, etc. to solve the problem, mostly with marginal/messy results. I would have thought carbon arrow manufacturers would have found the answer by now.

·
Banned
258 Posts
:Have always used Morrel targets for my Barnetts,Parkers,and now my Ten Point The carbon arrows in the block were a nightmare,alums are fine and
come out fine have not discovered a target for broadheads but will have
to soon as turkey season is here soon,have shot two geese and a fox and a
yote with my new American heads they are awesome!:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
You can use a feed bag from the local Co-Op and pack it tightly with old clothes about to be thrown out. These bags will stop bolts from my Excal Pheonix within 1/2 the length and you pull your bolt with 2 fingers. Fieldpoints only.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use a cheapo bag target from Wally World for my field tips.It works good.Sometimes the arrows almost fall out.I tried using some Teflon spray lube on my arrows when shooting at my block target.Seemed to work fairly well.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
digger said:
You can use a feed bag from the local Co-Op and pack it tightly with old clothes about to be thrown out. These bags will stop bolts from my Excal Pheonix within 1/2 the length and you pull your bolt with 2 fingers. Fieldpoints only.
Be sure to put the clothes into several layers of plastic garbage bags so they don't soak up water and start to rot. That's what the makers of Morrel bags do. I just took mine apart and added some plastic grocery bags to the bottom to make it more dense. They put the batting into 2 layers of black plastic then plastic mesh outside that, then the mesh sack.

·
Banned
108 Posts
I use a bale of straw that has been tighten down with a "snatch strap" the bolts go about half way in and stop.practice tips only.

·
1,254 Posts
I've been useing the Block for about 3 years now...and its been tough....problay would last longer if i did shoot broadheads at it ....but the blocks pretty tough. Thunderbolt

·
Banned
402 Posts
good target

first of all once sited in, I do not need to shoot much except to check bow still sited in, i use 2 bag targets from wallmart wrapped together, works well easy to remove.low cost, works fine, at 350 fps.

·
3 Posts
I use the Block for my broadheads. Around the house when i'm adjusting the string or unloading it I use a bag from Wally World. Both do a good job with my Exocet.

·
329 Posts
to ALL:

as i'm a little more thrifty than Jack Benny (i think of him as a SPENDTHRIFT!!!), has anyone made a target for BROADHEADS out of something CHEAP, that will hold up to repeated shots??? (yep, i know about the "feed bag/plastic bag/thrown-away clothes" bag target for field points.)

if so, tell me about it, PLEASE

yours for FRUGALITY, texasnative46

1 - 17 of 17 Posts