Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious as to how many have their own 3D animal targets*, as well as bags and cubes. I'm about to try the economy bag: large burlap sack packed very tightly and compressed with loads of Wal-Mart bags. At least the practice target appearance might go well with the Wyvern Medieval crossbow that I have coming............

*I also wondered how often one would have to replace $$$ the vitals on a 3D animal target. May get expensive.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
I use a broadhead target so I can practice with what I hunt with. I keep my used arrows just for that purpose. I had one of those old original buck targets and it was hell to get the arrow back out of even when standing on it after it was sun baked. It also was raped a few times at the lease. He got his horns knocked off, and the paint wore off his hind side. Should have set up a camera on him.

Reactions: OleManDan

·
115 Posts
I built and use this ...

I have changed the wheels to some that are much larger and the target backstop sits about 13 inches above the ground. The wheels are 11X4 on the back and a 12 inch swivel on the front.

I have also camoed it a bit. The wheels are olive in the centers now.

Complete story and pics:

My son-in-law got a call from the home owners association this past week, and now I cannot even use this on OUR OWN property although the local police department is totally behind what I have done, both in this system and my air rifle target backstop.

·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Wally.......

That's cool. I'm also seriously into some fine airguns and have a range that extends out to 97 yards. It's amazing what you can do when using a good mildot scope. Thanks for your input......

·
242 Posts
I have 2 3-D targets and a bag target. 90% of the time, I practice with my bag target because it lasts forever. I got several burlap bags from a local coffee shop for free. They get coffee beans in them. I fill them with .6 mil plastic that you can buy in rolls @ building centers/lumber yards. They will take several thousand shots if you rotate where you hit them. For broadheads, I shoot into a soft dirt bank right before the season.

·
42 Posts
I built myself a bag target made from a plastic woven sack and stuffed it full of foam ripped from a single bed mattress and a backing piece made from alternate layers of cardboard and carpet. Works good with field points at 25 yards.

If I try Broadheads then I'll have to re think it, might possibly make a compressed foam block for those.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
I use a mesh feed sack stuffed very full with plastic bags and old clothes for field tips. My Slick Trick broadheads fly to the same point of impact so no need to practice with broadheads, perhaps once or so to quell my inner voice before hunting. Forth that I use The Block.

·
11,402 Posts
Rinehart cube and 3D deer target

plus the old bag stuffed with worn out T shirts , etc.

·
211 Posts
I have a 3d deer target, it was made somewhere in the late 1800's I think, its old... and its more beat up than what it deserves to be... but it will still stop an arrow as long as you can find a place on it thats relatively unshot up, its always been fairly hard to pull arrows out of and I mainly use it for broadheads now, although my kids still shoot it quite a bit

I use a feed bag target also but I fill mine with old plastic wrap, any big store has tons of it that they give away, I get mine from walmart, they gladly give me all I want and it works good for stopping arrows

I also have a cardboard target I made, being in the construction trade I have fairly good access to the cardboard wrap that ceiling tile comes in(I hung suspended ceilings for years), laid flat and stacked about 2-3 feet high its the perfect size for a target, I have it compressed with 2"x8"'s top and bottom with threaded rod, I've had that target forever and it works good I just have replace the cardboard that needs it once in a while and keep it out of the weather

·
342 Posts
I only use broadhead targets, because that's what I hunt with....
Morrell's Yellow Jacket

·
224 Posts
I bought a morrell target that I hung up and put a block in front of it.
I hit it and it swings back.
It swings forward and stops so I'm not shooting at a swinging target.
I use the block for broadheads.
It takes 2 fingers and a thumb to pull the field tipped arrows out.

Good luck with whatever you do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts