Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, here is a video on the Carbon Express CCD mod to work on my BearX IntenseCD. See how silent and easy this CCD cranks on 190lb limbs. Game changer for my back. 60 yard shot video to follow.

I'll let the Farm Deer mods speak for themselves.

Getting dark and executed four shots. Shot twice hit low but 4" by grouping was good. Made speed dial adjustment for the next group of two and good enough for me.

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
60 yard shot video.

Reactions: dynamo61 and JOE PA

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Note: I have not put Marty's string on my Intense yet. Oops per the video. I don't do videos very often. :p

Super strings by a great string maker. Will be putting them on my IntenseCD next week. I do have a set of Marty's strings on my Barnett TS370.

One more thing. I just sent Farm Deer to do the same CCD modification on my TS370.

Farm Deer, keep doing what you do.

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,308 Posts
Looks like that crank is working great....that was a good idea. It all went together very nice..

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Nice work, Tom and Farm Deer.
Thanks for sharing with us!

Reactions: TomOnTheRun

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
A bit of collaboration expended working with Farm Deer in a positive way with this modification. That in itself was a cool process. However, the small things matter too. I have a sense of autonomy while still being a rookie reflecting my arrows and knowing the arrows held the line at 60 yards is quite gratifying.

I just went through a pile of damaged arrows and boy do I have next steps. Now I need to figure out a cutting jig that is simple. I have a Dremel jig with a cut off disc that should work. I just need to square it off and build a 19 and 20" arrow jig to execute square cuts. Once I figure that out I will repurpose so many arrows over the last 3 years and will not need to buy another arrow for years. I counted 10 plus BloodSport Pro Series and Witness arrows and 9 Zombie Slayers. Gents if I can do this so can you. My Xbow related journey continues.

Can't wait to get my Barnett TS370/CCD combo back once Farm Deer modifies it for the Carbon Express CCD. That device is slick and works as advertised. Note: The CCD is absolutely silent and has a built in brake when cocking. So it's safe! Some may say why get another CCD when you already have one. This CCD is like gold to me and I learned they are no longer being made. FD has a limited supply of these CCDs and I want a backup per Murphy's law. :cool: I look at this as a longterm investment. After speaking with HunterThompson who shoots every day. He has over two thousand shots on his Barnett TS370 and going strong hitting dots at 40 yards. That assures me these limbs are durable and strong. Verdict still out on my BearX limbs because it's new but if I detune a bit and reduce limb stress I should get years of use out of that Xbow.

I'd be remised not to give a major shout out to bunnyrabbit. That man is humble, extremely knowledgeable and is the person that thought of the aftermarket shim to level the bowstring on shooting rails. This is a game changer fix. To think I got 750 plus shot on my Barnett OEM strings because I eliminated 98% (anecdotal) of friction between the center serving and the shooting rail is a major value add for string longevity. Note: I do keep a shooting log.

CBN has some vey smart people and I have benefited.

Shoot on!

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,308 Posts
There's arrow shaft saws on eBay that can be had for under $100.00.. You need a very fine toothed blade to cut those carbon shafts so that they don't start splintering... some pipe cutters work good also. They spin around the shaft as the wheel cuts through it little by little.
Also, shooting heavier arrows will take alot of the energy that is remitted back into the bow.
Sounds like your really digging into the overall functionality off your weapon. It is an interesting and time consuming subject.

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's arrow shaft saws on eBay that can be had for under $100.00.. You need a very fine toothed blade to cut those carbon shafts so that they don't start splintering... some pipe cutters work good also. They spin around the shaft as the wheel cuts through it little by little.
Also, shooting heavier arrows will take alot of the energy that is remitted back into the bow.
Sounds like your really digging into the overall functionality off your weapon. It is an interesting and time consuming subject.
Marty, thanks! I figured a Dremel and cutoff disc would cut through carbon shafts like melted butter. Will check saw out on Ebay. I have at least 30 plus arrows I can restore for hunting.

Reactions: JOE PA

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now I won't enter a 60 yard same hole challenge but decide to test out my Hawke XB-1 on my Intense CD. At 60 yards the groupings are tight. However, going back to 70 yards margin for error is noticeable off my shooting stick. Fun just the same. This Hawkeye XB-1 is quite impressive. Took only six shots at 70 yards but I'm money at 40, 50, 60 and feel spiffy enough at 70 yards with only six shots. Now I have to find a different place to do my own 100 yard challenge. BearX has some legit Xbow offerings if you are willing to add a bit of TLC.

Reactions: Huntersthompson

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I take the next step over into BearX forum. 70 yard BH test. This will get interesting.
1. RageX CrossbowX
2. SIK2
3. GrimReaper Pro Series
4. BloodSport Grave Digger

·
3,396 Posts
Tom, I made a jig that lets me cut carbon shafts. Uses a Dremel with flex cable, a fixture to hold that firmly in place, and the rest of the jig allows for setting a specific length to the shaft, and a little "shelf" for the arrow shaft that sets and allows the disk to cut just past the inner wall, then you rotate the shaft to cut around the whole shaft, which kept the cut more square. I found 2" diamond disks that fit on the dremel disk holder, and they cut cleaner and easier than the abrasive disks. I tried one of the Harbor Freight chop saws, and it didn't work nearly as well as the dremel setup. I haven't actually used in an a few years. Not sure it's even around anymore. Started doing that when I still shot vertical compound bows.

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea, diamond discs are legit. I worked on surgical steal for 30 years in my previous business and thought of the diamond disc on a Dremel. The 2" wheels are big enough to cut through the Xbow shafts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts