Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I do this to myself every year and I always get a laugh out of it. Ever since Jeff Foxworthy explained the cost of venison, I have tallied my costs.
This year (off hand) I would say (between the wife and I) we are near $100 a pound. If she tags out, we could get that to $50 maybe. They would have to be monsters though!

Obviously we dont look at hunting as living off the land but damn! All the same. LOL

Registered
And I was thinking surf and turf was an expensive dinner. Damn, I'll never look at venison the same ever again! LOL! 馃檮馃

Registered
If I can be like a business and forget all of my previous years costs on equipment. I'm sitting pretty at $2lb. But thats because I made less money this year, so I spent almost nothing and shot 2 deer hopefully 4 soon.

2 years ago when I bought a bow and a treestand, only got one deer. It was $12 lb

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
If I can be like a business and forget all of my previous years costs on equipment. I'm sitting pretty at $2lb. But thats because I made less money this year, so I spent almost nothing and shot 2 deer hopefully 4 soon.

2 years ago when I bought a bow and a treestand, only got one deer. It was $12 lb

This is how I look at it and how I figure it. What did I spend this year divided by how many pounds of meat did I get.
It's scary!

Whats really scary is the fact that I didnt need to spend a dime. I use hunting as an excuse to buy :D

Reactions: robertyb and lcback

Registered
This is how I look at it and how I figure it. What did I spend this year divided by how many pounds of meat did I get.
It's scary!

Whats really scary is the fact that I didnt need to spend a dime. I use hunting as an excuse to buy :D
Exactly if your goal is cheap meat it is possible. Talk to most hunters and we will let you borrow a rifle and teach you to butcher. Reality for most of us - it's a fun hobby. Atleast it results in food for the family... most years haha.

No one bats an eye if you spend $50 a ticket to go to the amusement park, but people start calling your meat expensive when you buy a rifle. Lol

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly if your goal is cheap meat it is possible. Talk to most hunters and we will let you borrow a rifle and teach you to butcher. Reality for most of us - it's a fun hobby. Atleast it results in food for the family... most years haha.

No one bats an eye if you spend $50 a ticket to go to the amusement park, but people start calling your meat expensive when you buy a rifle. Lol

Truth!
If I was concerned with costs, I wouldnt own a bow. A bullet costs a dollar and a cheap arrow with a cheap broadhead is 10 dollars. Time being money.... I could whack a deer at 200 yards with that bullet and be done in the first hour. Could takes days or weeks to get a deer with a bow.
Bows were sensible when Indians were chasing Bison LOL

Reactions: Elno Lewis

Registered
Discussion Starter #7

Registered
I hear ya, Lever Action, and hunters are not alone in this respect i.e. bang for the buck (yes, pun intended).

I'm too embarrassed to state exactly how much I have into my surf board quiver (the fact that I used the word 'quiver' should be a hint) and wet suitS collection, beach passes, board wax, board shorts, medical bills and on and on. And that little hobby don't even bring in ANYTHING to eat.

Registered
It's scary!

You just described me too a T. :)
I have rifles and even a bow that dates back to the previous generation (1900s) that I could use and kill just as many deer as I do now but I like to buy and try stuff. I am retired and can afford it so why not? ;)

Registered
I haven't bought anything new in several years. Same bow and Spynal Tapp arrows I've had for several years. I hunt two miles from home so gas is cheap.

I went from (last 4 or 5 years) where i didnt buy anything and my venison was 2.00. a lb to now with a new bow and i will be about $104.50 per lb if I get one during winter bow.

Dont even bring in The cost of fish with boats and fuel and tackle. Now thats nuts

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
You just described me too a T. :)
I have rifles and even a bow that dates back to the previous generation (1900s) that I could use and kill just as many deer as I do now but I like to buy and try stuff. I am retired and can afford it so why not? ;)
LOL! Yup
I think I bought near (maybe more)a dozen broadheads this year to test out. Ended up using none of them.
Many were $100 or more for a 3 pack. I am like crow, collecting shiny things with no reason to it other than they catch my eye :D

Reactions: robertyb

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't bought anything new in several years. Same bow and Spynal Tapp arrows I've had for several years. I hunt two miles from home so gas is cheap.
Hats off to you :)

Registered
LOL! Yup
I think I bought near (maybe more)a dozen broadheads this year to test out. Ended up using none of them.
Many were $100 or more for a 3 pack. I am like crow, collecting shiny things with no reason to it other than they catch my eye :D
I need a report on these $100 per pack broadheads. Yikes. I guess if you didn't use them then I have the most important info already.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
I went from (last 4 or 5 years) where i didnt buy anything and my venison was 2.00. a lb to now with a new bow and i will be about $104.50 per lb if I get one during winter bow.

Dont even bring in The cost of fish with boats and fuel and tackle. Now thats nuts
Fishing! You are spot on there!
40K for a boat and 10k for stuff to catch a bucket of perch that I could have bought for $30 bucks!
LOL

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Reactions: Elno Lewis

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
I need a report on these $100 per pack broadheads. Yikes. I guess if you didn't use them then I have the most important info already.

There are a LOT out there. Most are great but speed rated as to perfect flight.
Some are so expensive (Bishops @ $100 a head) it's a drama to imagine shooting one into a rock LOL

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Least here the license once a Senior land owner

only 4 dollars for 2 deer. I cut it up so pretty reasonable meat. Using Ser Razors that resharpen easily. Usually always find my carbon arrows
Living the dream :)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts